mom diagnosed with UPSC foregoing treatment and surgery

2»

Comments

• lmcenin
    lmcenin Member Posts: 3

the latest news on mom

thank you for keeping us in your thoughts. well here it is as well as i can explain it with my limited info, she went to the oncologist and she really liked him and trusted him and her experience thus far with the conventional medical field has been very positive. everyone has been kind and quite accommodating with her scheduling etc. since monday, all of her appt.s have been moving really quickly. he has told her that without treatment, she has a few weeks or months left. he is sending her to a surgeon in the morning to discuss options. chemo, surgery, chemo etc... i will know more tomorrow and i will know what decision my mom has made. had myself a few good cries and now i'm just getting myself ready to fly out to see her and to be strong for her.
    i will keep you all posted. thank you for your continued prayers and good thoughts.
    Malia

Karen, my dear soul, i am having whatever cries and emotions that i need to feel. we are a touchy feely family and so we do not shy away from emotions or try to hide from negative stuff. i think i just in a bit of denial and needed to know what we were dealing with, then the dam burst! there are 6 of us kids and she has a huge network of people who love her and are sending her thoughts and prayers, including wonderful women like you! my sister will go with me to the initial visit then i am sure the whole family will descend upon her small town like a bunch of locusts! i want a little time with her before all our brothers and grandchildren and her sisters. i am sure she will want to see everyone but i want to be a little selfish right now. i will do whatever she wishes actually. she's in charge. lol!

Your Story
    Hi Malia,

My mom is in the exact same place as your mom is right now. She was diagnosed with UPSC a little over a week ago after being in denial that anything was wrong for over a year. Because she started bleeding heavily, she had to tell my father who took her to the hospital. She never told any of us about the problems earlier.

My mom is already in Stage IV, but it's so important to remain hopeful. She had her surgery yesterday at which time they did a full historectomy, removed her lymph nodes, the majority of her colon, as well as her spleen. She's in good spirits today though, but the chemo treatments that will start in a few weeks will likely be difficult.

I know it sounds terrible, but I keep reminding myself of the people that have been even worse than our moms and have made it through. There is ALWAYS hope.

I'll be praying for you, your mom, and your family. I know exactly what you are feeling, so if you need an ear, you have one.

Linda
  • Always Hopeful
    Always Hopeful Member Posts: 234
    lmcenin said:

Your Story
    Hi Malia,

My mom is in the exact same place as your mom is right now. She was diagnosed with UPSC a little over a week ago after being in denial that anything was wrong for over a year. Because she started bleeding heavily, she had to tell my father who took her to the hospital. She never told any of us about the problems earlier.

My mom is already in Stage IV, but it's so important to remain hopeful. She had her surgery yesterday at which time they did a full historectomy, removed her lymph nodes, the majority of her colon, as well as her spleen. She's in good spirits today though, but the chemo treatments that will start in a few weeks will likely be difficult.

I know it sounds terrible, but I keep reminding myself of the people that have been even worse than our moms and have made it through. There is ALWAYS hope.

I'll be praying for you, your mom, and your family. I know exactly what you are feeling, so if you need an ear, you have one.

Linda

Dear Linda,
    I am so sorry to hear about your mom's situation. You are absolutely right to believe there is always hope. Her surgery seems to be quite extensive. Once recovered, continue to pray that she will tolerate the chemo well. Things are so different now with all the premeds you are given.

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family, as they are with Malia's, at this time.

Peace and hope, JJ
  • lmcenin

Dear Linda,
    I am so sorry to hear about your mom's situation. You are absolutely right to believe there is always hope. Her surgery seems to be quite extensive. Once recovered, continue to pray that she will tolerate the chemo well. Things are so different now with all the premeds you are given.

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family, as they are with Malia's, at this time.

Peace and hope, JJ

Dear JJ,
    Thanks for your words and prayers. It's comforting to know there are others who understand and are making it through the battle. You are right about always being hopeful. I have heard so many stories about people who were given weeks to live and they are still with us more than 10 years later. Science, hope and inner strength are all important here. God bless you, and my prayers are with you as well as you go through your treatment and recover. Stay strong my friend :) -- Linda
  • lmcenin

Dear Linda,

Peace and hope, JJ

• mamasbabygirl
    mamasbabygirl Member Posts: 29
    mom's treatment
    Hello all you beautiful, brave women,
    here is the latest- mom went to see surgeon and oncologist. with her cancer spread it is looking pretty grim, but we will not give up. she has colonoscopy and endoscopy on monday and she had her porto cath put in on friday and she ghas her first chemo treatment on tuesday. doctors say chemo, surgery, chemo. my siblings and i are going to visit her on thursday. she and her husband are a bit leery of all of us coming to visit becasue she is afraid she will be very sick and weak. we are going to be with her but try and stay as calm and uplifting as possible and stay out of the way. her husband is feeling very protective right now. he wants to be the one to be with her throughout all of her treatments etc. he is bordering on hostility towards us kids, but i am just going to bring the love and hope that this doesn't turn into some sort of contest. she needs all the love and support she can get. i think everyone is touchy and tired. probably nothing compared to what's to come. everything has moved very quickly since her current diagnosis to chemo in less than a week.
    keeping the faith.
    and keeping all of you in your various stages of healing in my thoughts and prayers as well.
    thank you all,
    Malia
  • Always Hopeful

mom's treatment
    here is the latest- mom went to see surgeon and oncologist. with her cancer spread it is looking pretty grim, but we will not give up. she has colonoscopy and endoscopy on monday and she had her porto cath put in on friday and she ghas her first chemo treatment on tuesday. doctors say chemo, surgery, chemo. my siblings and i are going to visit her on thursday. she and her husband are a bit leery of all of us coming to visit becasue she is afraid she will be very sick and weak. we are going to be with her but try and stay as calm and uplifting as possible and stay out of the way. her husband is feeling very protective right now. he wants to be the one to be with her throughout all of her treatments etc. he is bordering on hostility towards us kids, but i am just going to bring the love and hope that this doesn't turn into some sort of contest. she needs all the love and support she can get. i think everyone is touchy and tired. probably nothing compared to what's to come. everything has moved very quickly since her current diagnosis to chemo in less than a week.
    keeping the faith.
    and keeping all of you in your various stages of healing in my thoughts and prayers as well.
    thank you all,
    Malia

Hey Malia,
    I responded to the other copy of this posting.

Please keep us informed of how things are going.

Peace and hope, JJ
  • mamasbabygirl

I like llight's suggestion that YOU contact your mom's 'healer'.
    I think you need to make your justifiable concerns clear to your mother's 'healer', and record the conversation with their permission. I am against unwarranted litigation, but truly, if this 'healer' does not at least encourage your mother to see a gynecologic oncologist, he/she should be sued and put out of business to stop such irresponsible unethical practices.

(I am going through something like this with my sister who has a horrible circulation problem of some kind that is causing her feet and ankles to be grotesquely discolored and affecting her ability to walk up stairs, etc., and seeing only a 'healer'. I fear that she will lose her feet under his 'therapy plan' and know that the supplements he is giving her are expensive and probably worthless for this problem. I not only want to sue him and put him out of business; some days I want to drive down there and slap some sense into them both!) Sorry for the venting.

Hello all you beautiful,
    keeping the faith.
    thank you all,
    Malia
  • donalee
    donalee Member Posts: 6
    I am 58 and was diagnosed
    I am 58 and was diagnosed with UPCS but, unlike your mom, I did have the hysterectomy, chemo and soon? to start radiation. Even though I have done this, like your mom I am suffering terribly from extreme fatigued, very distended sore abdomen and it is painful for me to urinate or have bowel movements. I have severe cramping and backaches and often wonder why I had this procedure only to feel this bad. Yesterday I was told radiation may have to be put on hold until I get this abdomenal problem figured out so I am not so sure your mom chose the wrong route. My prayers are with you. Bless you for being such a wonderful daughter. You are priceless. Keep supporting your mom no matter what she decides. I will let you know asap if I find a remedy to my belly problem.

Donna
  • mamasbabygirl

mom's treatment
    keeping the faith.
    thank you all,
    Malia

after visit with mom
    hello everyone!

we just returned from a beautiful visit with our mama. all of our concerns and stresses just melted away once we all got there. we just loved on her. she came to our hotel most days and just rested on the bed propped up by pillows and took naps when she needed and i massaged her feet everyday (she has blood clots in her calves now which cause a great deal of swelling) she is on blood thinner etc to keep this under control. we fetched things for her and fed her and just treated her like a queen. she didn't want all the fussing at first, but soon enough she just lay back and chuckled and let us do it. she had her first chemo treatment the day before we all arrived and although she was tired the next couple of days, she had very little side effects thus far and she had a 5 hour drip! she just perked right up after a few days with us believe it or not. it was just such a lovely time. no fights, no negativity, no ego trips. just sweetness all around. none of us got around to talking about what her plans would be in the case of her treatments not working, but it just didn't feel like that kind of a visit.
    she has her next chemo on dec. 8th and the next one dec. 29th. they seem to be pretty heavy doses, so she will see how she feels and how it is working probably after 2nd round. then they will be taking a look at surgery in jan. depending on tumor shrinkage and overall health and whether it will be possible depending on what organs are affected. doctor said he was very pleased with her progress thus far. perhaps just feeling positive about her uplifted spirits.
    none of us know what is going to happen and i missed her very much at thanksgiving, but the time we all shared with her was priceless and a blessing.
    i am praying and thinking of all of you brave women and your families everyday. thank you for your continued support.

Malia
  • mamasbabygirl
    donalee said:

I am 58 and was diagnosed
    I am 58 and was diagnosed with UPCS but, unlike your mom, I did have the hysterectomy, chemo and soon? to start radiation. Even though I have done this, like your mom I am suffering terribly from extreme fatigued, very distended sore abdomen and it is painful for me to urinate or have bowel movements. I have severe cramping and backaches and often wonder why I had this procedure only to feel this bad. Yesterday I was told radiation may have to be put on hold until I get this abdomenal problem figured out so I am not so sure your mom chose the wrong route. My prayers are with you. Bless you for being such a wonderful daughter. You are priceless. Keep supporting your mom no matter what she decides. I will let you know asap if I find a remedy to my belly problem.

Donna

donna,
    i am so sorry to hear

donna,
    i am so sorry to hear of your discomfort. pain really. mom has some good meds now and it is really helping with the pain. don't know what the outcome is going to be, but she is fighting with all her might. still early in the fight though, so we don't know how much her body can handle. she has had all of your symptoms as well, but seems to be able to manage some of it with the medications. she won't be able to have the surgery yet. not until they shrink some of it. did you have staging done then during the hysterectomy? i think mom just finally decided that after her efforts weren't working, she got scared and wanted to live and so decided to try whatever she had to. that might all change though if she doesn't take well to any of it. no telling yet. she did have her first round of chemo and seems to be doing well. does it get harder after the first round?

my thoughts are with you and your family,
    you are a brave one!
    malia
  • kkstef
    kkstef Member Posts: 688 Member

after visit with mom
    hello everyone!

we just returned from a beautiful visit with our mama. all of our concerns and stresses just melted away once we all got there. we just loved on her. she came to our hotel most days and just rested on the bed propped up by pillows and took naps when she needed and i massaged her feet everyday (she has blood clots in her calves now which cause a great deal of swelling) she is on blood thinner etc to keep this under control. we fetched things for her and fed her and just treated her like a queen. she didn't want all the fussing at first, but soon enough she just lay back and chuckled and let us do it. she had her first chemo treatment the day before we all arrived and although she was tired the next couple of days, she had very little side effects thus far and she had a 5 hour drip! she just perked right up after a few days with us believe it or not. it was just such a lovely time. no fights, no negativity, no ego trips. just sweetness all around. none of us got around to talking about what her plans would be in the case of her treatments not working, but it just didn't feel like that kind of a visit.
    she has her next chemo on dec. 8th and the next one dec. 29th. they seem to be pretty heavy doses, so she will see how she feels and how it is working probably after 2nd round. then they will be taking a look at surgery in jan. depending on tumor shrinkage and overall health and whether it will be possible depending on what organs are affected. doctor said he was very pleased with her progress thus far. perhaps just feeling positive about her uplifted spirits.
    none of us know what is going to happen and i missed her very much at thanksgiving, but the time we all shared with her was priceless and a blessing.
    i am praying and thinking of all of you brave women and your families everyday. thank you for your continued support.

Malia

Malia
    What a wonderful post re: your visit to see your Mom. It sounded like a very wonderful time together and I am so happy for all of you! How did her new husband handle all of this? Hopefully you all recognized that everyone wants the same thing.... A long life NED for your Mom!

I am hoping that her treatments continue to go well and that she will be able to have her surgery soon and get rid of more of those nasty cells!

Your Mom is so lucky to have such a wonderful supportive family...

Best wishes to all of you!

Karen
  • kkstef

after visit with mom
    hello everyone!

Malia

Malia
    What a wonderful post re: your visit to see your Mom. It sounded like a very wonderful time together and I am so happy for all of you! How did her new husband handle all of this? Hopefully you all recognized that everyone wants the same thing.... A long life NED for your Mom!

I am hoping that her treatments continue to go well and that she will be able to have her surgery soon and get rid of more of those nasty cells!

Karen
  • Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member

donna,
    i am so sorry to hear

donna,
    i am so sorry to hear of your discomfort. pain really. mom has some good meds now and it is really helping with the pain. don't know what the outcome is going to be, but she is fighting with all her might. still early in the fight though, so we don't know how much her body can handle. she has had all of your symptoms as well, but seems to be able to manage some of it with the medications. she won't be able to have the surgery yet. not until they shrink some of it. did you have staging done then during the hysterectomy? i think mom just finally decided that after her efforts weren't working, she got scared and wanted to live and so decided to try whatever she had to. that might all change though if she doesn't take well to any of it. no telling yet. she did have her first round of chemo and seems to be doing well. does it get harder after the first round?

you are a brave one!
    malia

Malia, glad you had a good visit with your Mom
    Glad all went well, with no fights or power struggles. I am sure your Mom did appreciate everyone's visit. Glad she tolerated her first chemo pretty well. You asked about it getting harder with each chemo. I did not find the first three chemos hard at all, but then I had my radiation treatments. After the fourth chemo I did have some problems with febrile neutropenia and was hospitalized. I had an abscess in my abdomen which causes my problems.

I will keep you and your Mom in my prayers and hope she continues to do well. She needs all the support you can give her. I am sure she appreciates so much you being "mamasbaby girl". In peace and caring.
  • Always Hopeful

after visit with mom
    hello everyone!

Malia

Glad to hear from you
    Dear Malia,

I've been concerned about how the visit went. So pleased you updated us. Sounds like you all had a great visit with your mom...just what she needed! I love the pic, too. She looks quite hopeful and strong...you'd never know she was having any problems.

My continued prayers for only positive responses to the chemo.

Peace and hope, JJ
  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member

donna,
    i am so sorry to hear

donna,

you are a brave one!
    malia

Malia
    I am glad your trip and visit turned out well. I was thinking about you and hoping it would. I am also glad that your mom relaxed and let you and your siblings take care of her while you were there. It was also good to have positive vibes.

I really like your new photo. You are a blessing to your mom. Your visit with your mom will definitely keep your mom's spirits up during her upcoming treatments. I am glad that the meds are starting to help with her pain.

Hugs and prayers,

Kathy
  • mamasbabygirl
    kkstef said:

Malia

Karen

Karen, Kathy, Kaleena, all
    Karen, Kathy, Kaleena, all the lovely ladies,
    thank you once again for you sweet words of encouragement.

Her husband handled everything quite well i would say. the first day he showed up with mom at our hotel, he brought flowers for each of us girls including my brother's wifes. it was darling. the night we all left PA, he told me that in all of his years, he had never seen nor felt so much love not only for our mom, but for him and for everyone. he said he would never ever doubt our dedication to our mother again. it was a big snotty tear fest. we siblings love each other dearly, but we don't always get along or see eye to eye, so this was a big compliment and a testiment to our desire to have a peaceful visit with our mom. i don't know when i will go back, i'm just kind of on hold until her next chemo on the 8th.
    her doctor said he was really pleased and that her platelets looked great. not sure what all that means and we will get some more info after her doctor appt. again today. i am sure i will be learning all about numbers etc.. soon enough.

hope all is well with you dear hearts!
    Malia
  • mamasbabygirl
    lmcenin said:

Your Story
    Hi Malia,

Linda

linda
    Linda,
    Just wondering how you are holding up? and how your mother is doing? how is her recovery from surgery and has she started chemo?
  • Always Hopeful

Her husband handled everything quite well i would say. the first day he showed up with mom at our hotel, he brought flowers for each of us girls including my brother's wifes. it was darling. the night we all left PA, he told me that in all of his years, he had never seen nor felt so much love not only for our mom, but for him and for everyone. he said he would never ever doubt our dedication to our mother again. it was a big snotty tear fest. we siblings love each other dearly, but we don't always get along or see eye to eye, so this was a big compliment and a testiment to our desire to have a peaceful visit with our mom. i don't know when i will go back, i'm just kind of on hold until her next chemo on the 8th.
    her doctor said he was really pleased and that her platelets looked great. not sure what all that means and we will get some more info after her doctor appt. again today. i am sure i will be learning all about numbers etc.. soon enough.

Malia

Wonderful
    It sure does sound like you all had a wonderful visit. Flowers and beautiful sentiments from your mom's husband...how beautiful.

Keep us all informed regarding lyour mom's progress. Prayers and thoughts continue!

Peace and hope, JJ
  • kkstef

Malia

WOW!
    Malia....you could not have hoped for a better outcome!! It sounds like you have let your Mom's new husband know that both of them are loved! That speaks well of how you and your siblings approached things.

GREAT job!! You will never regret this special time together!!

Karen
  • soocalcher
    soocalcher Member Posts: 4
    Kaleena said:

Malia
    I am glad your trip and visit turned out well. I was thinking about you and hoping it would. I am also glad that your mom relaxed and let you and your siblings take care of her while you were there. It was also good to have positive vibes.

I really like your new photo. You are a blessing to your mom. Your visit with your mom will definitely keep your mom's spirits up during her upcoming treatments. I am glad that the meds are starting to help with her pain.

Hugs and prayers,

Kathy

Malia-
    Just wondering how your mom is doing. Hope all is well.