First Radiation!

gelovime
gelovime Member Posts: 15
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, I had my first radiation today and I felt very tyred, is that normal? what advise do you have to take care of the skin? what do you think is best? thank you for sharing with me!

Comments

• Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi gelovime
    We haven't heard from you for awhile. Sorry you are feeling tired. I didn't have rads, so I'm not sure of the side effects. Hope you feel better soon. Hugs, Jean
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    I did not start getting tired
    until about the third week of rads. As far as taking care of the skin I used 2 different things. I used Calendula Gel right after my treatments. Then I used Aquaphor at home. The Calendula is not nearly as greasy as the Aquaphor so I found it a better choice because it did not get on my clothes. The Aquaphor was better to use at home because I could put a lot on and it would last through the night but it did get on the shirt I wore. You will probably also want to have some loose fitting bras (if you can wear them)and loose fitting shirts.
    Hope this helps you.

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    ladyg said:

I did not start getting tired
    until about the third week of rads. As far as taking care of the skin I used 2 different things. I used Calendula Gel right after my treatments. Then I used Aquaphor at home. The Calendula is not nearly as greasy as the Aquaphor so I found it a better choice because it did not get on my clothes. The Aquaphor was better to use at home because I could put a lot on and it would last through the night but it did get on the shirt I wore. You will probably also want to have some loose fitting bras (if you can wear them)and loose fitting shirts.
    Hope this helps you.

Hugs,
    Georgia

Sorry you are tired so
    Sorry you are tired so quickly. It took me probably about 3 weeks or more to start feeling tired. Use any and all creams that your rads oncologist prescribes from day one and get lots of rest too. I used Biafine for any burn and used LOTS of Aquaphor to keep my skin moist and it worked. My skin looks and feels like a baby's behind, it looks great!

Good luck!
  • ruthielaine
    ruthielaine Member Posts: 59
    yes I too was tired - its a
    yes I too was tired - its a common side effect. try some mild exercise - even though its hard to think about exercise when you're so tired it really does help as does eating protein. I used protein shakes alot. I used pure aloe gel 3 -4 times per day on treatment days as per instructions from radiologist (no colors, no other ingredients) our walmart here has it pretty cheap. On the weekends I used the aquaphor. Its very greasy and you really shouldn't use it on treatment days. Doing these 2 things got my skin through the 5 weeks with flying colors - and I've had my implant surgery and its been a couple months and skin is looking great. Hope this helps. You can get the aquaphor at CVS or most drug stores.