Mammograms and Implants... what to do???

NYGMom
NYGMom Member Posts: 34
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
What is your take on Mammograms after reconstruction with implants? I keep getting conflicting information from my docs. What are your Doctors saying??

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    My implants pre-dated my cancer...
    Just call me an ego-maniac...I've had my implants for over 20 years!

They actually saved my life in a way, the tumor rode on top of one, and so could not grow into my muscle wall....

The only thing I can say is that be SURE to TELL the scheduler about them before going to the appointment...some facilities have one tech that's better than the others at clearing the implants from the field...

Digital mammo's are much better...make sure you go to a facility that has them (hard to find ones without anymore, thank goodness!). I recently had mine, and she showed me the difference from the 'old way'...nothing but white where my tumor was...and then sharpened by the digital image...I could see my scar tissue from the lumpectomy! (Same image).

Don't be shy with medical personnel. If there is any chance that your implants would play a role, tell the treating person. I don't routinely spread it around...but, for a needle biopsy, it was imperative...

BIG hugs, Kathi