surgery done!!

chriskaput
chriskaput Member Posts: 109
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Had my lumpectomy with sentinel node biopsy done yesterday. I'm so glad it's over! I have a little tightness or numbness in my right hand (surgery done on right side) and in my right heel of my foot. Anyone else experience this? I know it doesn't help that I cannot barely move my arm because some lymph nodes were removed. What have you ladies experienced after a lumpectomy? Any tips would be appreciated! Oh and did you have to wear a certain type of bra...my surgeon didn't mention the necessity of wearing one these first few days.
thanks for listening.
Chris.

Comments

• skipper85
    skipper85 Member Posts: 229
    I had to wear

I had breast surgery for a lump and I was told to wear a sports bra for a while. Don't remember how long. I didn't have to have any lymph nodes removed so you may have to wear it a little longer. It does feel better than a regular bra.

Hope you feel better soon.

((Hugs))

Skipper85
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    skipper85 said:

I had to wear

I had breast surgery for a lump and I was told to wear a sports bra for a while. Don't remember how long. I didn't have to have any lymph nodes removed so you may have to wear it a little longer. It does feel better than a regular bra.

Hope you feel better soon.

((Hugs))

Skipper85

Wear the sports bra.
    It's important to avoid blood filling in where your breast tissue used to be. It compresses everything. Also, ice it for a day or so. I had a node removed but no adverse reaction or numbness. I would ask your surgeon about those symptoms. I was back to work in a few days. Overall, not the worst part of this ordeal. Congrats.

Roseann
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    roseann4 said:

Wear the sports bra.
    It's important to avoid blood filling in where your breast tissue used to be. It compresses everything. Also, ice it for a day or so. I had a node removed but no adverse reaction or numbness. I would ask your surgeon about those symptoms. I was back to work in a few days. Overall, not the worst part of this ordeal. Congrats.

Roseann

I also had a lumpectomy with
    I also had a lumpectomy with 3 nodes removed. I had very little soreness and no problem with my arm. Mine was on the left side and I am right handed so that might make a difference not sure. I may have just not used that arm as much. My surgeon told me to wear a good support bra even to sleep in for at least a week. All these surgeons seem to have different ideas. Hope you feel better soon. I agree with Roseann, overall the lump was not the worst part. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

I also had a lumpectomy with
    I also had a lumpectomy with 3 nodes removed. I had very little soreness and no problem with my arm. Mine was on the left side and I am right handed so that might make a difference not sure. I may have just not used that arm as much. My surgeon told me to wear a good support bra even to sleep in for at least a week. All these surgeons seem to have different ideas. Hope you feel better soon. I agree with Roseann, overall the lump was not the worst part. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

sports bra, and lots of pillows varing in sizes. You may
    only be able to sleep in an upright position for a while. Also, please keep cups, plates, and frequently used items (fridge) at arm's reach - no need lifting heavy objects .. i.e. gallon of milk - as this may result in pulled or torn stitches. Please take pain medication as suggested, no need to play the part of Wonder Women -- Mom for a few days.

Take care -

Vicki Sam
  • kya911
    kya911 Member Posts: 157
    VickiSam said:

sports bra, and lots of pillows varing in sizes. You may
    only be able to sleep in an upright position for a while. Also, please keep cups, plates, and frequently used items (fridge) at arm's reach - no need lifting heavy objects .. i.e. gallon of milk - as this may result in pulled or torn stitches. Please take pain medication as suggested, no need to play the part of Wonder Women -- Mom for a few days.

Take care -

Vicki Sam

I had the lumpectomy & 3
    I had the lumpectomy & 3 nodes out.
    A really good sport bra makes all the difference.
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    kya911 said:

I had the lumpectomy & 3

I agree with all the girls
    Wear a good sports bra. My surgeon recommended a front closure one so I didn't have to raise my arms and put it over my head. I bought 2 or 3 and wore one 24/7 for a few weeks. Really helped with swelling and pain to keep the whole area immobilized. I had the lumpectomy and 23 (yikes!) nodes removed, so most of my problem was in the axilla region. There was a lot of numbness as well (which in retrospect was a good thing--not much pain).

Good luck--no lifting, and try to get some good rest.

Hugs, Renee
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    kya911 said:

I had the lumpectomy & 3

no answers
    Sounds like you're doing well. I never had the surgery so I have no answers for you. I just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery.
    Marsha
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I don't have any
    I don't have any advice...just wishing you a smooth quick recovery!

Hugs,

Linda
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Glad that's over for you!
    Yes, as others have suggested - a front closure bra helps. Same for tops (buttons/zipper in front) so you don't have to lift your arms over your head.

Regarding your hand/foot numbness - maybe nerve damage. Surgery of any type usually severs at least some nerves. Will probably eventually heal.

Please don't hesitate to contact your surgeon/surgical nurse with questions and/or for their recommendations. (Nurses easier to get a hold of.) You don't have to wait for info and answers until your follow-up appointment.

Rest, recuperate, take good care of yourself.

Kind regards, Susan
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

I don't have any
    I don't have any advice...just wishing you a smooth quick recovery!

Hugs,

Linda

Congrats Chris and sending
    Congrats Chris and sending you healing thoughts.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    roseann4 said:

Wear the sports bra.

Roseann

I wore a sports bra and it
    I wore a sports bra and it really helped. Congrats on the surgery being done.

Hugs, Jan