I was just wondering

Lighthouse_7
Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Are there any of you who just couldn't take the aromatase inhibitors because the side effects were so severe?

Comments

• Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302
    Yes!
    I tried Femara first then went to Arimidex - probably about 16 months total. I had severe muscle and joint pain and awful hot flashes and night sweats. My onc switched me to tamox 13 months ago, it's not great but more doable for me. I have less pain, only about two hot flashes a night and night sweats only occassionaly. My onc said that switching to tamox would be only slightly less effective than the AI drugs and that quality of life is important.

We all gotta do what we gotta do. Hugs to you, Sally
  • Lighthouse_7

Yes!
    I tried Femara first then went to Arimidex - probably about 16 months total. I had severe muscle and joint pain and awful hot flashes and night sweats. My onc switched me to tamox 13 months ago, it's not great but more doable for me. I have less pain, only about two hot flashes a night and night sweats only occassionaly. My onc said that switching to tamox would be only slightly less effective than the AI drugs and that quality of life is important.

We all gotta do what we gotta do. Hugs to you, Sally

Thanks Sally,
    My onc. said

Thanks Sally,
    My onc. said Tamox isn't an option for me but the last AI is still bad side effects. I was just wondering if anyone else had a hard time with them.
    I guess I have to have another conversation with him.
    Thanks again and have a good day.
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    I've been on Femara for 9
    I've been on Femara for 9 months now and have no problems with it all.

Susan
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    I lasted 7 months
    on Femera and quit on my own because of the side effects. My onc now has me on anastrozole (generic for Arimidex). It's only been a week and a half but so far it's much better.

marge
  • MNLynn
    MNLynn Member Posts: 224
    Arimidex
    I've been on Arimidex since June of this year - it's been ok - haven't had any noticeable side effects (unless hot flashes are one of them - but seems like they were part of my life anyway!). Are you having side effects that are making you wonder if you should consider a different approach?
  • Lighthouse_7
    MNLynn said:

Arimidex
    I've been on Arimidex since June of this year - it's been ok - haven't had any noticeable side effects (unless hot flashes are one of them - but seems like they were part of my life anyway!). Are you having side effects that are making you wonder if you should consider a different approach?

Yes, I started on Femara
    Yes, I started on Femara (bad side effects) then Arimidex ( ditto ) now Aromisin and guess what? I'm beginning to think it's just that these type of drugs don't agree with my body. I'm discouraged because I know I'm supposed to take something.
    I guess I was just looking for someone who is having the same problem.
    I really don't want to sound like a whiner but these side effects are quite bad.
    Thanks for listening.
  • sam1978
    sam1978 Member Posts: 1

Yes, I started on Femara
    Yes, I started on Femara (bad side effects) then Arimidex ( ditto ) now Aromisin and guess what? I'm beginning to think it's just that these type of drugs don't agree with my body. I'm discouraged because I know I'm supposed to take something.
    I guess I was just looking for someone who is having the same problem.
    I really don't want to sound like a whiner but these side effects are quite bad.
    Thanks for listening.

Femara
    I have been on Femara for 4 months and I have joint pain in my knees and ankles. I have started taking Mona Vie Active and it has helped. I am just careful when I stand up because I am not to sure of my footing with the ankle. I will be on this for 5 years. The Onc said there is an alternative if the pain gets worse. My radiologist said he thought I should see the pain subside, hoping.