Mother has lytic lesions on bone-need info

sweetvickid
sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Mom had BC 8 and half years ago. We just found out that it has metatasied to two of her ribs. She has a CAT scan set for Friday and then back to meet with oncologist. What do I need to know so that I can have a productive discussion with him. What kind of prognosis should I expect.

Comments

• Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    I don't know how to advise
    I don't know how to advise you or tell what the prognosis will be but I can tell you that we are all here for you for support. Just being with your Mom on her appointments will be invaluable to her. I know my daughter was to me. Take notes for her because she will need you to remind her of things that get lost when someone is worrying.
    Best of luck to you both.
    Keep us posted.
  • bjmom1
    bjmom1 Member Posts: 152
    Little be of suggestion to help
    First thing to due is make sure ask question on what type of treatment the doctor want try. Also ask to look at the MRI to show you exactly were it act. Also ask to talk with a pain management oncologist to help with the pain. I have recurrence in my T6 and I found that pain management is good at keep your pain undercontrol. One more thing try look up any kind of information on the net that might help you with any kind of questions you might want to ask the doctor. Good luck and I will keep you both in my prayers.

Barb
  • Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302
    Know Nothing
    I don't know anything that would help your Mom. All I can do is send you both my prayers and hope you find the answers you need.

Hugs, Sally
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    bjmom1 said:

First thing to due is make sure ask question on what type of treatment the doctor want try. Also ask to look at the MRI to show you exactly were it act. Also ask to talk with a pain management oncologist to help with the pain. I have recurrence in my T6 and I found that pain management is good at keep your pain undercontrol. One more thing try look up any kind of information on the net that might help you with any kind of questions you might want to ask the doctor. Good luck and I will keep you both in my prayers.

Barb

first of all
    First of all, let me say I'm sorry about your news. How did your mom learn that she has bone mets? Is the scan on Friday to get a better look at the ribs, check other areas, or both?

I would certainly want to know if her treatment will include Zometa. It has a proven record of good results for treating bone mets. It also helps to strengthen the bones. The spots probably won't disappear, but can be stabilized and held inactive. IF she'll be receiving Zometa, I would be sure to ask why/or why not add another chemotherapy along with it.

I have spots on 3 of my ribs, and throughout all of my treatments, they have stayed sore. I would ask about that possibility so that she may know what to expect. Of course ask about side effects from whatever treatment is decided upon.

Hope this has been of some help to you. Best wishes to your mom and you.
    Marsha
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    bjmom1 said:

Barb

Sending good luck and
    Sending good luck and prayers for your Mother's CAT scan Friday.

Hugs, Leeza
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I am in the exact same boat.
    I am in the exact same boat. Both rib biopsies were positive for breast cancer, ER+.

Initially, I had radiation after the metastasis diagnosis. I had no problems with it and it immediately helped the rib pain.

I am on a monthly infusion of zometa (like boniva but stronger). The zometa strengthens the bones but also seems to have "chemo" effect in that it keeps the cancer from growing. Zometa can be hard on the kidneys, so your mom will be given fluids before each infusion. Encourage her to stay well hydrated--especially before each infusion.

My tumor was estrogen receptor positive (ER+). ER+ tumors can have a slightly favorable prognosis. I am only on arimidex (an estrogen lowering drug) besides the zometa.

My treatment has me back in a remission. However, once the cancer has spread to the bones, it is Stage 4--meaning it is not curable.

Prognosis can vary widely--from 2 years to 20 years--so much will depend on what the biopsy showed and how your mom responds.

I have been 1 1/2 yrs since diagnosis of the mets and I am doing fine--working fulltime and no pain.

Hope this helps. You and your mom are in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I don't have any advice,
    I don't have any advice, just lots of positive energy to send to you and your mom.

Hugs,

Linda
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

I don't have any advice,
    I don't have any advice, just lots of positive energy to send to you and your mom.

Hugs,

Linda

Vicki, you and your Mom are
    Vicki, you and your Mom are in my prayers and thoughts.

Sue :)
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

Know Nothing
    I don't know anything that would help your Mom. All I can do is send you both my prayers and hope you find the answers you need.

Hugs, Sally

All I can do is to send
    All I can do is to send prayers and positive thoughts for you and your mom.

Hugs, Debby
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    bjmom1 said:

Barb

Sending positive thoughts
    Sending positive thoughts and prayers for your Mom.

Hugs, Jan
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930

I don't know how to advise
    I don't know how to advise you or tell what the prognosis will be but I can tell you that we are all here for you for support. Just being with your Mom on her appointments will be invaluable to her. I know my daughter was to me. Take notes for her because she will need you to remind her of things that get lost when someone is worrying.
    Best of luck to you both.
    Keep us posted.

Sending prayers for your
    Sending prayers for your Mom.
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

I am in the exact same boat.
    I am in the exact same boat. Both rib biopsies were positive for breast cancer, ER+.

Initially, I had radiation after the metastasis diagnosis. I had no problems with it and it immediately helped the rib pain.

I am on a monthly infusion of zometa (like boniva but stronger). The zometa strengthens the bones but also seems to have "chemo" effect in that it keeps the cancer from growing. Zometa can be hard on the kidneys, so your mom will be given fluids before each infusion. Encourage her to stay well hydrated--especially before each infusion.

My tumor was estrogen receptor positive (ER+). ER+ tumors can have a slightly favorable prognosis. I am only on arimidex (an estrogen lowering drug) besides the zometa.

My treatment has me back in a remission. However, once the cancer has spread to the bones, it is Stage 4--meaning it is not curable.

Prognosis can vary widely--from 2 years to 20 years--so much will depend on what the biopsy showed and how your mom responds.

I have been 1 1/2 yrs since diagnosis of the mets and I am doing fine--working fulltime and no pain.

Hope this helps. You and your mom are in my thoughts and prayers.

Wish I could give you some
    Wish I could give you some information, but, I don't know anything about it. But, I can send prayers and positive thoughts, which I am.
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    Ritzy said:

Vicki, you and your Mom are
    Vicki, you and your Mom are in my prayers and thoughts.

Sue :)

Thanks
    For the info and prayers and positive thoughts
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    bjmom1 said:

Barb

I am so sorry to read this
    I am so sorry to read this about your Mother. Sending a prayer for her!
  • dee1962
    dee1962 Member Posts: 99

Thanks
    For the info and prayers and positive thoughts

I've been on zometa for 2
    I've been on zometa for 2 months now along with taxol/carbro and so far so good...no complaints thank god....
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    dee1962 said:

I've been on zometa for 2
    I've been on zometa for 2 months now along with taxol/carbro and so far so good...no complaints thank god....

Sending good luck, prayers
    Sending good luck, prayers and positive thoughts for your Mother's CAT scan Friday.

Hugs, Debby