Latissimus Dorsi reconstruction on already radiated skin

elizadoo
elizadoo Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Anyone have a Latissimus Dorsi breast reconstruction on skin that has already been radiated? I am trying to decide between that and a DIEP Tram. I had radiation 8 years ago. Issue is size. Not a lot of tummy fat.

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Yes, I did.
    And, for the same reason. My PS actually did the latissimus flap on both sides with the reasoning that it is a more symetrical outcome. I am having my exchange surgery next Monday and so far so good.
  • elizadoo
    elizadoo Member Posts: 2
    MyTurnNow said:

Yes, I did.
    And, for the same reason. My PS actually did the latissimus flap on both sides with the reasoning that it is a more symetrical outcome. I am having my exchange surgery next Monday and so far so good.

Thanks for the reply. Was
    Thanks for the reply. Was your PS worried about the radiated skin contracting over time?
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    I had it
    I had DIEP procedure done bilaterally. They told me to wait at least 10 months after radiation to allow time for the tissues to "settle" into a "new normal". As it turned out, I waited longer that that so that I could get the surgery done during the Summer because I work in a Public school and wanted to take less time off from work. The radiated skin was fine, though I did have complications in other areas. It's all good now. Definitely talk to your Doctor, but I expect it would be OK if you wait long enough.

seof
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    seof said:

I had it
    I had DIEP procedure done bilaterally. They told me to wait at least 10 months after radiation to allow time for the tissues to "settle" into a "new normal". As it turned out, I waited longer that that so that I could get the surgery done during the Summer because I work in a Public school and wanted to take less time off from work. The radiated skin was fine, though I did have complications in other areas. It's all good now. Definitely talk to your Doctor, but I expect it would be OK if you wait long enough.

seof

Lat flap~
    I had mine done 2 years ago, and it was on radiated skin. I have healed up beautifully. I had no complications. Only one side involved. I am symetrical and even ( i did have the right side reduced to match).
    Melanie~
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Yes, I Did
    I had radiation in 2002 and had my Lat Flap reconstruction in 2006. Pretty much for the same reason you stated, they said I didn't have enough belly fat. I really questioned that! LOL.

Anyway...didn't seem to have any issues. I'm very happy with my results.

Good luck,

Sally