I learned something

canjuncutie
canjuncutie Member Posts: 131
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Mediciad doesnt pay for wigs in fl . Big shock when I was told at the begining of this trip dont worry mediciad will pay for things. That is including the protecic for the breast or bras.

Comments

• Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Kaiser in CA doesn't cover
    Kaiser in CA doesn't cover wigs either. However, the ACS has several "wig banks" here, or they will re-imburse up to $75 of your purchase. You should contact them for assistance, I just called the 800 number on the home page, and got more help than I asked for.

Hope this helps.

Linda
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    sorry to hear that
    why give false hope! say don't worry..easy for them to say right?
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    ACS is good
    ACS is a good idea. They can also get you in touch with a support group called "look good, feel better" that helps bc survivors with cosmetics and helpful tips (even free products) that can help you to.....bet you can't guess......(the name gives it away).

seof
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Look Good - Feel Better!
    Talk to them at your Cancer Care Center or your BC Navigator there - they should have some options for you. Talk to your local ACS. I was given a wig before hair left. Go to a "Look Good - Feel Better" class - you will be give a bag of great makeup and taught about using it while on chemo.

The afternoon I came home from mod. rad. mast. I got a call from the local ACS asking questions and 2 days later I got a little 'fluffy' from them that I used happily for a while until I got my 'good' pros. I still have it and use it sometimes (used it when I did the Sweat Lodge).
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Rague said:

Look Good - Feel Better!
    Talk to them at your Cancer Care Center or your BC Navigator there - they should have some options for you. Talk to your local ACS. I was given a wig before hair left. Go to a "Look Good - Feel Better" class - you will be give a bag of great makeup and taught about using it while on chemo.

The afternoon I came home from mod. rad. mast. I got a call from the local ACS asking questions and 2 days later I got a little 'fluffy' from them that I used happily for a while until I got my 'good' pros. I still have it and use it sometimes (used it when I did the Sweat Lodge).

Insurance?
    Would your insurance pay for them? I know my insurance paid for bras for me after my lumpectomy, which surprised me.

Sue :)
  • jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377
    try this
    Go to one of those "Look Good, Feel Better" programs. I'm not all into talking and sharing with those do-gooder type programs so I never attend such things. But my aunt insisted it'd be worth my time.

She was right. I got all kinds of makeup and namebrands at that. Like Chanel face powder and a Chanel eyeshader/lipgloss palette. I don't know where one even goes to sample Chanel makeup, let alone buy it! (but what they have always changes, so I was told =)

Anyhoo, myself, I wasn't interested in wigs but another woman there was; so she tried on a few wigs that they already had there found one she was comfortable with and wore it home.

http://lookgoodfeelbetter.org/