Lets focus more on PREVENTING cancer by getting and keeping toxins out of our bodies

KCleaver
KCleaver Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was cured of CML back in 1997 via a bone marrow transplant but picked the Breast Cancer board because I could not find a board about getting and keeping toxins out of our bodies and figured this board might have the most, and the most passionate, readers.
I just finished the book Living Downstream and it has totally changed my beliefs about the need to focus more resources on keeping toxins out of the environment. Focus more on PREVENTING cancer because we are seeing how hard it is to treat and cure it. I found out the National ACS CEO recommended this book to senior personnel a few years ago.

The facts this book converys are that its very hard to prove a certain toxin is causing a certain cancer and so those in charge tend to not take action. But the author, a scientist, sees that despite this difficulty, and the more recent learning that many toxins work together to start cancer on its way, and, it takes time for this to happen, makes the point that we dont need to have this data in order to take action and prevent cancer. We know the damage that thousands of chemicals cause and it's time to ban them. Other countries are making progress. Canada recently took hundreds of pesticides and weed killers off the shelves.

One data point. She states that the lowest estimate, which she concludes is very low, is that environmental causes account for 8 percent of cancers. Sounds small but thats more deaths than murder, suicide, and TEN times as many as from second hand smoke. And look at the resources society has devoted to those areas. All the smoking bans. Thats wonderful but its time to take on the toxins. It wont be easy because you are talking about hurting the bottom line of companies who make them.
I am an 8 year Relayer and have been dedicated to raising money for the ACS mission. But I hope to find out how the ACS looks at this and if its time to take more action. Meanwhile be very careful with or just stop using pesticides and weed killers unless they are proven friendly. And anything we do to cut down on coal and oil use will help reduce the biggest sources of toxins that end up in our bodies.

Read the book and get enraged.

Comments

24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    In Canada
    Isn't that great we spend all this money to remove things from our shelves only to have things manufactured in other countries who put it back in. In Canada right now we are fighting the same battle we did all those years while manufacturing in our own country to now have to write the same laws back in the books to keep other countries from doing what we found out was contributing to poor health of our people.
    We also found here that our water tables are contaminiated but they are contaminated right up there at the top of glaciers so when they melt they are adding to our water tables.
    There was also a study done where families were tested for toxins to see the difference of levels of children and their parents and from different walks of life.
    Do you know that the Organic Farm family had the highest levels of toxins compared to none organic families and the daughter of Organic farmer had the highest of anyone studied. One thing I know about organic people is they usually do more than just eat healthy.
    Just food for thought...
    Tara
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Sad thing is, I got enraged
    Sad thing is, I got enraged back in the early 90's. We never used weed killers or pesticides on our flowers and lawns, bought organic, and used as many natural cleaners as possible. Lobbied to gov't and various companies by letter to get the toxins out. And still, I got it. Without any family history on either side. The only thing I can think of is my occupation at the time which was a dangerous goods truck driver. Propane, jet fuel, av gas, diesel and gasoline. Lots of benzene at a time when I was perimenopausal.
    Last year Canada banned bisphenol A in baby products. That gives me a little relief that perhaps my granddaughter won't have to go through this...I hope. This year they actually listed it as a toxin....finally they've done something right. And hopefully in time it will be eliminated for good. It's in everything from dental fillings to cash register receipts and the lining of canned goods. Can't wait to see that go. I have just recently had to make the decision between silver (mercury) fillings and the white fillings for my teeth (which contain BPA) so I went with the silver. Gold was way out of my league.

The book that started me was called "Our Stolen Future". Can't remember the author. The warning signs have been around for a while. Look at the Great Lakes and the waterfowl that suffered from hormonal abnormalities. They've known that from...what, the 60's and just ignored it. And what about all the estrogen that flows out of the sewage pipes from millions of women in the Toronto, Hamilton area into the Great Lakes.

"In a project coordinated with Andy Gilman of the Great Lakes Health Effects Program, we are examining the implications of ecosystem health indicators for human health. We are using data supplied by Gilman to write a paper on this subject. In the Great Lakes area in the late 1980s, Theodora Colborn, a zoologist with the World Wildlife Fund, discovered problems with the offspring of 16 predator species, including fish, birds, reptiles, and mammals. Many of the young failed to survive to adulthood or to reproduce. These animals experienced these problems apparently because their parents ate fish from the Great Lakes, which were contaminated with hormone-disrupting chemicals. These wildlife species provide one of the first models for the transfer of hormone-disrupting chemicals from one generation to the next."

I think nature is our canary in the mine. If it's good for the land and the critters, than it's good for us but we don't tend to be concerned unless it's happening to people and even then it can be like pulling teeth. Esp if jobs are connected with. A perfect example is coal mines. People dying but will fight to support the mine because it puts food on the table. I can be complicated. Another example is rBGH, the hormone farmers use to increase production of milk in cows. Due to the health problems and hardship put on the cows who get this, Canada never did approve it.....not good for the cow, not good for me.

A great place to go for more information is Breast Cancer Action

I can appreciate all the homework you've done and thank you for your efforts in the relays and here with your information. All my best to you,
    jan
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member

Sad thing is, I got enraged back in the early 90's. We never used weed killers or pesticides on our flowers and lawns, bought organic, and used as many natural cleaners as possible. Lobbied to gov't and various companies by letter to get the toxins out. And still, I got it. Without any family history on either side. The only thing I can think of is my occupation at the time which was a dangerous goods truck driver. Propane, jet fuel, av gas, diesel and gasoline. Lots of benzene at a time when I was perimenopausal.
    Last year Canada banned bisphenol A in baby products. That gives me a little relief that perhaps my granddaughter won't have to go through this...I hope. This year they actually listed it as a toxin....finally they've done something right. And hopefully in time it will be eliminated for good. It's in everything from dental fillings to cash register receipts and the lining of canned goods. Can't wait to see that go. I have just recently had to make the decision between silver (mercury) fillings and the white fillings for my teeth (which contain BPA) so I went with the silver. Gold was way out of my league.

The book that started me was called "Our Stolen Future". Can't remember the author. The warning signs have been around for a while. Look at the Great Lakes and the waterfowl that suffered from hormonal abnormalities. They've known that from...what, the 60's and just ignored it. And what about all the estrogen that flows out of the sewage pipes from millions of women in the Toronto, Hamilton area into the Great Lakes.

"In a project coordinated with Andy Gilman of the Great Lakes Health Effects Program, we are examining the implications of ecosystem health indicators for human health. We are using data supplied by Gilman to write a paper on this subject. In the Great Lakes area in the late 1980s, Theodora Colborn, a zoologist with the World Wildlife Fund, discovered problems with the offspring of 16 predator species, including fish, birds, reptiles, and mammals. Many of the young failed to survive to adulthood or to reproduce. These animals experienced these problems apparently because their parents ate fish from the Great Lakes, which were contaminated with hormone-disrupting chemicals. These wildlife species provide one of the first models for the transfer of hormone-disrupting chemicals from one generation to the next."

I think nature is our canary in the mine. If it's good for the land and the critters, than it's good for us but we don't tend to be concerned unless it's happening to people and even then it can be like pulling teeth. Esp if jobs are connected with. A perfect example is coal mines. People dying but will fight to support the mine because it puts food on the table. I can be complicated. Another example is rBGH, the hormone farmers use to increase production of milk in cows. Due to the health problems and hardship put on the cows who get this, Canada never did approve it.....not good for the cow, not good for me.

I can appreciate all the homework you've done and thank you for your efforts in the relays and here with your information. All my best to you,
    jan

I am 4 years into a 10 year
    I am 4 years into a 10 year study of environmental effect on BC called the Sister Study. My sister was diagnosed over 4 years ago with BC and I joined shortly thereafter. It is out of NC and involves 50,000 women worldwide whose sisters have been diagnosed with BC. Of course, 4 years later I, too, was diagnosed with BC. They will keep me in the study, but change my status.
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508

I am 4 years into a 10 year study of environmental effect on BC called the Sister Study. My sister was diagnosed over 4 years ago with BC and I joined shortly thereafter. It is out of NC and involves 50,000 women worldwide whose sisters have been diagnosed with BC. Of course, 4 years later I, too, was diagnosed with BC. They will keep me in the study, but change my status.

I had never heard of that
    I had never heard of that study before but found the website. Very interesting! I wonder what the outcome will be.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member

My only sister without
    My only sister without breast cancer (there are 4 of us) is in that study too. Interesting study.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member

My sister refused....
    ...even tho both me, her full-blood sister, and her mother (mine, too) have had breast cancer...

And she must see the family connection....2 years after I was dx'ed with my other cancer, rectal, SHE was dx'ed with anal cancer...

Sigh, her loss....

Hugs, Kathi
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    KathiM said:

My sister refused....
    ...even tho both me, her full-blood sister, and her mother (mine, too) have had breast cancer...

And she must see the family connection....2 years after I was dx'ed with my other cancer, rectal, SHE was dx'ed with anal cancer...

Sigh, her loss....

Hugs, Kathi

How do I find out about
    How do I find out about this? My sister may be interested.
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member
    carkris said:

How do I find out about
    How do I find out about this? My sister may be interested.

Just go to
    Just go to sisterstudy.com

Take a look. The original Sister Study has closed for new participants, but there are other studies to become involved in if you or your sister fit their criteria.

Chickadee
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

jan

Prevention
    Prevention is the key to fight both initial diagnosis and recurrence. Unfortunately current cancer treatment is reactive and very little research has been dedicated to proactive approach. All money goes for development of new drugs and treatment and not enough attention how to avoid cancer and eliminate need to use medications.