exchange surgery - 10 days and counting !!!

Heatherbelle
Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Just had to share that I got my exchange surgery date - November 16th! If you don't know already - i can't WAIT to get these expanders out!! I'm completely maxed out - 850ccs! I was getting 100cc fills every 2 weeks until about a month and a half ago. I was in so much pain after a fill that I was in tears -every muscle from my neck down to my mid back, all down my arms, underarms, to the tendons on top of my hands were pulled and hurting. Hurt worse than my mastectomy. After that we went down to 50ccs each fill. I had nice big boobs before cancer took them away, and I fully intended on having even nicer big boobs when I was done with it all. I'm in alot of pain, mostly in my back, from these expanders, I don't sleep well at all because I can't get comfortable, I'm going to be SO GLAD to get these "rocks" out of me & have soft boobs again. And being another step closer to getting back to some kind of normal. Well, as normal as I can get ;)
*hugs*
Heather

Comments

• ccincin
    ccincin Member Posts: 82
    850?
    Wowzer!!!! My implants pre bc were 360 and I thought that was big!!!!! Congrats on your date!
  • ccincin
    850?
    Wowzer!!!! My implants pre bc were 360 and I thought that was big!!!!! Congrats on your date!
  • Heatherbelle
    ccincin said:

850?

Lol everyone says that's big
    Lol everyone says that's big but I had a double mastectomy - so I have NO breast tissue to begin with! If I still had boobs & then got 800ccs on top of that - then I'd be in anna nicole smith/pamela anderson territory lol...im just hoping to be back to a nice full D cup again!
  • ccincin

Lol everyone says that's big
    Lol everyone says that's big but I had a double mastectomy - so I have NO breast tissue to begin with! If I still had boobs & then got 800ccs on top of that - then I'd be in anna nicole smith/pamela anderson territory lol...im just hoping to be back to a nice full D cup again!

Gotcha
    That makes sense! I can't wait to get my boob back!!!! I loved mine and hate only 1. Jealous ;)
  • Heatherbelle
    I also started Tamoxifen
    I also started Tamoxifen today, forgot to add that! I'm hoping it doesn't give me too many bad side effects!
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Congrats on the date! I'll
    Congrats on the date! I'll be sending positive energy to you then, hope all goes well.

Hugs,

Linda
  • slynch
    slynch Member Posts: 82

Congrats on the date! I'll
    Congrats on the date! I'll be sending positive energy to you then, hope all goes well.

Hugs,

Linda

Will be a relief
    I had mine exchanged on October 13th and could tell a big difference from the beginning. I am still have a little discomfort but not anything like with the expanders. I guess I just expected everything to be perfect right away - you know we all want instant results but it has been 3 weeks and still not totally wonderful yet. I have talked to other people and they do say that it does take some time to get used to the implants before you don't think about them being there. But I can honestly say that they are 100% better than the expanders. I have happy for you and will send prayers your way.
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Yay!
    I know you are happy. I'll be 2 weeks behind you, so make sure you fill me in on all the details.
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Glad your getting your
    Glad your getting your exchange done here real soon...so worth the wait! I hope you do well on the tamoxifen.
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Congratulations,
    Congratulations, Heatherbelle!

Are you getting silicone or saline? Have you talked with your PS about size? I've read that if you're happy with the size of the expanders and that's approx. where you want to be ... you need 50-100cc LARGER than than your current TE volume in an implant to get to that same size. The TE's are hard, immovable so they give you more projection than an implant of that same size. So many women are disappointed after their exchange b/c they're expecting their implants to be at least as large as their TE. I don't want you to be disappointed ... I know you want to go big! :)

You have NINE more nights and then you'll have softies! You've made it through the hard part ... chemo ... hang in there! You're almost done! :))
  • Heatherbelle

Congratulations,
    Congratulations, Heatherbelle!

Are you getting silicone or saline? Have you talked with your PS about size? I've read that if you're happy with the size of the expanders and that's approx. where you want to be ... you need 50-100cc LARGER than than your current TE volume in an implant to get to that same size. The TE's are hard, immovable so they give you more projection than an implant of that same size. So many women are disappointed after their exchange b/c they're expecting their implants to be at least as large as their TE. I don't want you to be disappointed ... I know you want to go big! :)

You have NINE more nights and then you'll have softies! You've made it through the hard part ... chemo ... hang in there! You're almost done! :))

Thanks everyone - now im
    Thanks everyone - now im down to 8 days & counting lol...
    Dawne Hope - I'm getting silicone high profile memory gel implants (to be exact lol). I'm waaay overfilled on my expanders, and 800cc's is the largest size implant that you can get. I'm a bit bummed that I won't get quite the size that I want, but I figure i can get a nice push up bra if i feel the need to push em up there! Plus, my plastic surgeon told me that they are really pushing to have larger sized implants available, so in the future I could possibly get them replaced with bigger ones.
    I'll just be glad to have some non saggy, soft boobies back. I have 650cc expanders in that are filled to 850cc's, so they are extremely overfilled, sore, my muscles are pulled and sore from my neck down to my middle back, from my shoulders down to my elbows, and my chest is just painful to even look at lol....im in ALOT of pain, sleeping on the couch now because i can't get comfortable in my bed, taking 2 vicodin every 4-5 hours for the pain plus 2-3 ibuprofen with them :(
    But, I'm hangin in there. Tomorrow I have an appt with my plastic surgeon to go over the surgery, get any questions answered, all that fun stuff. For the first time in a long time, it is my ONLY doctor appointment all week, I'm used to having several each week!
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Heather, I am having my
    Heather, I am having my exchange surgery one day before you, Monday, 11/15. I, like you, can't wait. I am totally over these expanders. I hope it's a piece of cake because the mastectomy was the worst thing I have ever been through. Now, that's not saying much because the only other surgery I ever had was a c-section. And, the mastectomy included the latissimus dorsi flap on both sides. Good luck to you and we'll compare notes later next week. Take care.
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823

Thanks everyone - now im
    Thanks everyone - now im down to 8 days & counting lol...
    Dawne Hope - I'm getting silicone high profile memory gel implants (to be exact lol). I'm waaay overfilled on my expanders, and 800cc's is the largest size implant that you can get. I'm a bit bummed that I won't get quite the size that I want, but I figure i can get a nice push up bra if i feel the need to push em up there! Plus, my plastic surgeon told me that they are really pushing to have larger sized implants available, so in the future I could possibly get them replaced with bigger ones.
    I'll just be glad to have some non saggy, soft boobies back. I have 650cc expanders in that are filled to 850cc's, so they are extremely overfilled, sore, my muscles are pulled and sore from my neck down to my middle back, from my shoulders down to my elbows, and my chest is just painful to even look at lol....im in ALOT of pain, sleeping on the couch now because i can't get comfortable in my bed, taking 2 vicodin every 4-5 hours for the pain plus 2-3 ibuprofen with them :(
    But, I'm hangin in there. Tomorrow I have an appt with my plastic surgeon to go over the surgery, get any questions answered, all that fun stuff. For the first time in a long time, it is my ONLY doctor appointment all week, I'm used to having several each week!
    *hugs*
    Heather

Good!!
    Good, I'm glad you're getting what you want! I'm sorry you're enduring so much pain, though. The TE's are horrible and should be called 'torture devices.'

Know that what the new girls look like right after the exchange isn't what they're going to end up looking like! I think it was SamuraiMom who was incredibly disappointed after her exchange and wanted a revision and go with saline instead b/c you can go bigger with saline ... she felt like her foobs were too small for her frame. She got used to them. And our pec muscles are tight post-exchange and it can take 3-6 months for everything to relax. Mine have actually gotten bigger (more projection) over the months b/c the muscles have finally relaxed. I know that this part of the process means a lot to you and I don't want you to be disappointed. Mine looked like hamburger buns on my chest ... and most of us felt that way right after the exchange. So .... just preparing you girl, don't be disappointed, we all get pretty obsessive and notice every little flaw post-exchange ... hang in there and give it a little time! :)

I'm excited for you! You're almost there!!!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

I also started Tamoxifen
    I also started Tamoxifen today, forgot to add that! I'm hoping it doesn't give me too many bad side effects!

Early congratulations
    Early congratulations Heatherbelle on getting your implants. I know you will be so happy to finally have the exchange.

Ta Ta,

Sue :)
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Heather, I am having my
    Heather, I am having my exchange surgery one day before you, Monday, 11/15. I, like you, can't wait. I am totally over these expanders. I hope it's a piece of cake because the mastectomy was the worst thing I have ever been through. Now, that's not saying much because the only other surgery I ever had was a c-section. And, the mastectomy included the latissimus dorsi flap on both sides. Good luck to you and we'll compare notes later next week. Take care.

Heather & My Turn
    I wish you both the best.
    I had large breasts before lumpectomy surgery. My back and shoulders always hurt because of the weight. I always wanted a breast reduction. I told my surgeon to reduce my breast size during surgery. He did not by much, I wish he would have taken more out. I haven't had any backaches since.
  • savvysma
    savvysma Member Posts: 9

Good!!
    Good, I'm glad you're getting what you want! I'm sorry you're enduring so much pain, though. The TE's are horrible and should be called 'torture devices.'

Know that what the new girls look like right after the exchange isn't what they're going to end up looking like! I think it was SamuraiMom who was incredibly disappointed after her exchange and wanted a revision and go with saline instead b/c you can go bigger with saline ... she felt like her foobs were too small for her frame. She got used to them. And our pec muscles are tight post-exchange and it can take 3-6 months for everything to relax. Mine have actually gotten bigger (more projection) over the months b/c the muscles have finally relaxed. I know that this part of the process means a lot to you and I don't want you to be disappointed. Mine looked like hamburger buns on my chest ... and most of us felt that way right after the exchange. So .... just preparing you girl, don't be disappointed, we all get pretty obsessive and notice every little flaw post-exchange ... hang in there and give it a little time! :)

I'm excited for you! You're almost there!!!

Final implants
    Hi, I had a nipple sparing mastectomy in July 2010 and just had my tissue expanders exchanged for high profile silicone implants 2 days ago on November 9th. I had to get a skin graph for one of my nipples because the pathology report in July showed less than a 2mm margin. I havent been able to see that breast yet but the other one looks like a big hamburger bun. It's like I have no cleavage and it has a 1 inch fold on the bottom. I know he did this to make them look more natural but I hate them (so far). Dawne I saw your post, you think theyll come out a bit? I guess I was thinking I would get a round attractive breast. These look kind of flat and fat....They dont look at all like the TE. My doctor is irritated that I dont like them.
  • savvysma
    savvysma Member Posts: 9
    savvysma said:

Final implants
    Hi, I had a nipple sparing mastectomy in July 2010 and just had my tissue expanders exchanged for high profile silicone implants 2 days ago on November 9th. I had to get a skin graph for one of my nipples because the pathology report in July showed less than a 2mm margin. I havent been able to see that breast yet but the other one looks like a big hamburger bun. It's like I have no cleavage and it has a 1 inch fold on the bottom. I know he did this to make them look more natural but I hate them (so far). Dawne I saw your post, you think theyll come out a bit? I guess I was thinking I would get a round attractive breast. These look kind of flat and fat....They dont look at all like the TE. My doctor is irritated that I dont like them.

Oh and right now they dont
    Oh and right now they dont move more than a half of an inch. Can I expect to hike em up an inch or so with a padded bra in a few weeks?