something good at work, for a change :)

lizzie17
lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Today---, 2 years after my bilateral mastectomy--- a co-worker broke into tears because she felt like she abandoned me in my times of need and still feels like that. She apologized and cried. Weird, the circumstances, because I was the one to give her a hug and tell her that it is okay!!! We talked a bit, and I realized that there actually are days that I feel strong.

Today, pink and strong. Tomorrow, who knows? :)

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Tomorrow, Strong, Mean and Lean .. walking on
    the arm of NED.

I am sorry that you had to comfort your co-worker, and the same could not be said of her coming to your aid ... 2 years ago. I can't say too much more, as I have family .. YEP, family who threw me away .. during my 14 month struggle with chemo, surgeries and procedures. My heart is still broken, and my ego bruised.

Stength to you .. and your forgiveness ...

Vicki Sam
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    WOW!!!!! I applaud both of
    WOW!!!!! I applaud both of you~ your co-worker for having the courage (no matter if it was guilt driven) to come to you and apologize, and of course to you for being the gracious receiver. Bless you both!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Wow Lizzie i wish everyone
    Wow Lizzie i wish everyone could do that...but i guess that would make life to simple then. Im glad she did it even thou shes a little late.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    jo jo said:

Wow Lizzie i wish everyone
    Wow Lizzie i wish everyone could do that...but i guess that would make life to simple then. Im glad she did it even thou shes a little late.

My first time I had two co
    My first time I had two co workers who bailed. one apologized later as she had a close friend with BC and it was just too overwhelming. I admired her for that!
    Today a doc at work said to me "I was really worried about you" I didnt think he really noticed me that much. I thought it was incredibly sweet.
    Sometimes we have to give people the credit for being human, we all mistakes and redeem ourselves.
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    carkris said:

My first time I had two co
    My first time I had two co workers who bailed. one apologized later as she had a close friend with BC and it was just too overwhelming. I admired her for that!
    Today a doc at work said to me "I was really worried about you" I didnt think he really noticed me that much. I thought it was incredibly sweet.
    Sometimes we have to give people the credit for being human, we all mistakes and redeem ourselves.

I think sometimes our
    I think sometimes our friends and even our family are at a loss for words when they know we have bc. And, it might take awhile for them to really realize the severity of our diagnosis to show us how they care. Glad she finally did hug you!
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    VickiSam said:

Tomorrow, Strong, Mean and Lean .. walking on
    the arm of NED.

I am sorry that you had to comfort your co-worker, and the same could not be said of her coming to your aid ... 2 years ago. I can't say too much more, as I have family .. YEP, family who threw me away .. during my 14 month struggle with chemo, surgeries and procedures. My heart is still broken, and my ego bruised.

Stength to you .. and your forgiveness ...

Vicki Sam

family
    I can't imagine threwing someone away..I had similar with co workers- I was cold to them for some time. Then ONE day ONE approached me and said what is wrong? I said you really want to know? explained I have helped many times (work related and NOT my job)many people and when in time of need..(someone to cover me so i could leave for treatments) NO one would step up and help. SO NOT LIKE ME AT ALL BUT SHE ASKED I GAVE HER AN EAR-FUL!
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    just the fact she admitted
    IT"S great that she admitted she abandoned you-great you both have moved on and made ammends!