Menstrual Cycle/Chemo/Tamoxifen

carriesoup
carriesoup Member Posts: 144
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
hey,

i know it's common for periods to stop during chemo. i had 1 last month, and pretty sure it's not coming this month. i've also heard that on tamoxifen, periods can be irregular, heavy or very sporadic! just wondering, what everyone else's experience has/had been.

thanks
*hugs*

carrie :)

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I had no periods on chemo
    I had no periods on chemo and then they started again a few months later (while on tamoxifen) as regular as clockwork, but lighter.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

I had no periods on chemo
    I had no periods on chemo and then they started again a few months later (while on tamoxifen) as regular as clockwork, but lighter.

The first time I had chemo
    The first time I had chemo for six months, my period was supressed for 3 month and I was off the wall. then I got it and was fine. This time I got it once and then no more. It is my understanding that the closer you are to menopause the more likely you will never get it. I was 34 the first time. I have friends who were on tamoxifen and their periods were lighter.
  • carriesoup
    carriesoup Member Posts: 144
    carkris said:

The first time I had chemo
    The first time I had chemo for six months, my period was supressed for 3 month and I was off the wall. then I got it and was fine. This time I got it once and then no more. It is my understanding that the closer you are to menopause the more likely you will never get it. I was 34 the first time. I have friends who were on tamoxifen and their periods were lighter.

carkris
    i was googling (not always a good idea) and a lot of people seemed to have really heavy periods. i hope i'm on the other end! since, i'm only 29, i'm hoping it will come back!
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    If I can remember correctly (it's been 9 years!) I had a period after my first chemo treatment. They stopped during the other 3 treatments. Then they came back a couple months after my last chemo treatment and where pretty much the same.

When I started on Tamoxifen, my periods where about every 3 to 4 months during the first year. Then they went down to 2 or 3 in a year. My last year on Tamoxifen I had one period. It just started back as I got one in Oct., almost the day to the year of my last one (I finished the 5 years on Aug. 31st.) On Tamoxifen they were also shorter and lighter.

Gosh...I feel like I was a little too personal! LOL. But you asked! LOL.

Sally
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Carrie -
    I had my monthly

Carrie -
    I had my monthly visit from Aunt Flo like clockwork while I was on chemo. I had a procedure done called an endometrial ablation done actually while I was undergoing chemo -basically it't the removal of the lining of the uterus. My gyno had been discussing it with me for some time -i've had a horrible time with my periods since I had Lia (who turns 2 tomorrow!) -but i had no insurance coverage....well, now I do, and we discussed it again because I would be literally bedridden (or couch-ridden, depending on my mood) for the first 2 days of my period because of the pain & heavy bleeding.
    One of the benefits of ablation is that I may not have periods anymore, but even if I do, they will be lighter & shorter & have less cramping. I had it done almost 2 months ago, and i spotted for a couple days last month but that's it.
    I'm wondering myself if Tamoxifen will have any change/effect on my periods in conjunction with the albation. I'm also concerned about the higher incidence of uterine & endometrial cancers connected with Tamoxifen....I have LOTS of questions for my Onc at Thursday's appointment!!
    *hugs*
    Heather
    ps - did you end up getting some halloween candy?
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    sal314 said:

If I can remember correctly (it's been 9 years!) I had a period after my first chemo treatment. They stopped during the other 3 treatments. Then they came back a couple months after my last chemo treatment and where pretty much the same.

When I started on Tamoxifen, my periods where about every 3 to 4 months during the first year. Then they went down to 2 or 3 in a year. My last year on Tamoxifen I had one period. It just started back as I got one in Oct., almost the day to the year of my last one (I finished the 5 years on Aug. 31st.) On Tamoxifen they were also shorter and lighter.

Gosh...I feel like I was a little too personal! LOL. But you asked! LOL.

Sally

Mine too. Went from lasting
    Mine too. Went from lasting 5 days to lasting 3 days and much lighter. Regular as dang clockwork.

Of course, that was years ago because I am now 23 yrs (was 33 when diagnosed) out and Aunt Flo is just a memory ;-)
  • JanInMN
    JanInMN Member Posts: 149
    I had my last period on the
    I had my last period on the first day of chemo back in February, and haven't had one since. Chemo ended in May and Tamoxifen started in August. I do hope it doesn't return unexpectedly...:-)
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    JanInMN said:

I had my last period on the
    I had my last period on the first day of chemo back in February, and haven't had one since. Chemo ended in May and Tamoxifen started in August. I do hope it doesn't return unexpectedly...:-)

Bumping .. up
    Vicki Sam
  • waffle8
    waffle8 Member Posts: 234
    VickiSam said:

Bumping .. up
    Vicki Sam

period
    Still missing in action after second chemo treatment(May 2010) and now on tamoxifen and still has not returned...Thats the one good thing for me about bc....