RectalCancer/JPouch

MaryB.
MaryB. Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I was diagnosed with a low rectal cancer in October 2009. Had chemo/radiation and surgery in March 2010. Temporary bag until July 2010 and then the takedown. I am having constant fecal leaking and the surgeon said he isn't sure this will stop. I am using gauze evry day and doing an enema every night to clean out, so the leaking isn't so bad. Is there anyone with advice on this? The surgeon is unsure if this will resolve. If it doesn't, I have to have a permanent colostomy. I spend about 3 hours every evening after work doing the enema. Leaks like crazy and it's not much fun. Anyone have any suggestions??
Thanks, MaryB.

Comments

• mommyof2kds
    mommyof2kds Member Posts: 519
    sorry to hear you are having
    sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. I only had my ostomy for 3 mths so retraining wasn't so bad, so sorry I can't offer much info. hang in there, hopefully it will get better.. mine was rectal also.. Petrina
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Hi Mary welcome to the board,
    not experience with bag issues but there are many here with lots of experience on it that sure will help you along the
    day!
    Hugs.Pepe.
    Barcelona .
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Hi Mary
    Welcome to the board. I don't have the info to help you with this issue, but I know someone will. I am sorry you are dealing with this.
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Had a reversal last november and had the j-pouch because of low rectal tumor. Having bad bathroom issues has been a problem, but it is more like clustering, where you go, stand up and have to go again. It sometimes can last 45 minutes. But don't have the leakage like you do. My pad is worn to keep the calmoseptime cream off my underwear and sometimes if just getting to the bathroom in time just doesn't work. Never have done an enema either. Do you ever just sit on the toilet and have a normal amount of poop? Of course they won't be poop stools formed like before, but the amount could be more than a leak. Let me know.

Kim