Folic Acid & FOLFOX

Lori-S
Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I have read that I shouldn't being taking additional folic acid during FOLFOX. I totally forgot to ask the onc about it (yes, it was on my questions list but just didn't get down that far!) I am taking a multi which has 125% (500mcg) of the daily rec and a B Complex that has 100% (400mcg). I stopped taking them a couple of days ago just in case. Has anyone else been told not to take folic acid while on FOLFOX? Thanks!

Comments

• Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    I read that too
    Yep. I t don't take a multiple vitamin because of the folic acid and take all the vitamin b's separately so that I don't take it in that group either.
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    I'm trying to avoid Folic Acid also
    I'm comfortable with my supermarket house-brand B-100 complex, with 100 mcg of Folic. It's the only complex I found with the Folic Acid that low (and saves me taking a handful of pills.)

My multi has 400 mcg, but I don't take it daily. I'll be re-checking with my MSK onc when I see him for f/u on the 10th.
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Yes:
    When George was on Folfox, he was told no additional folic acid, has to do with the Leucovorin. In fact, we were told no supplements without asking and nothing high in anti-oxidents. A general multi vitamin was ok, but nothing else.

Take care - Tina
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    geotina said:

Yes:
    When George was on Folfox, he was told no additional folic acid, has to do with the Leucovorin. In fact, we were told no supplements without asking and nothing high in anti-oxidents. A general multi vitamin was ok, but nothing else.

Take care - Tina

up
    up
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    pepebcn said:

up
    up

up
    up
  • Lori-S
    OK
    That's what I thought but, I wanted to check with the group just to be sure. Guess I'll have to replace the supplements with foloc acid in them. Thanks everyone. AND thanks Pepe for bumping me up!
  • LOUSWIFT
    LOUSWIFT Member Posts: 371 Member
    B9
    I take a multivitamin every day it has the recommended 400mcg of folic acid (B9) which is 100% of our daily need. Onc is aware that I take a general multivitamin hasn't said not to take it. He did suggest that I start taking B6 an additional 100mcg per day to help with hand and foot syndrome should that wonderful side effect come back. I'm headed in Monday for folfox treatment #2 and will ask directly about B9 and let you know what the Onc doc and nurse say. Nurses usually know more than docs anyway. When do you start #1 folfox?
  • Lori-S
    LOUSWIFT said:

B9
    I take a multivitamin every day it has the recommended 400mcg of folic acid (B9) which is 100% of our daily need. Onc is aware that I take a general multivitamin hasn't said not to take it. He did suggest that I start taking B6 an additional 100mcg per day to help with hand and foot syndrome should that wonderful side effect come back. I'm headed in Monday for folfox treatment #2 and will ask directly about B9 and let you know what the Onc doc and nurse say. Nurses usually know more than docs anyway. When do you start #1 folfox?

ACK!
    Monday is my #1. I'll ask my nurse too. Do you have trouble sleeping the night before chemo?
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Lori-S said:

ACK!
    Monday is my #1. I'll ask my nurse too. Do you have trouble sleeping the night before chemo?

I was just filling good when
    I was just feeling good when it was time for chemotherapy again. Restless leg syndrome, I hated the feeling!
  • Lori-S
    Bump
    bump
  • LOUSWIFT
    LOUSWIFT Member Posts: 371 Member
    Lori-S said:

ACK!

sleep
    Yes of course it is stress because even though you had the last treatment the effects are culcumative so the fear of what the next treatment will bring is always there. I had a little trouble sleeping because the pump gets in the way but felt okay so I slept in a couple of hour bursts several times a day. But after being disconnected I felt nauseaed but the stomach cramps are the worst. Pain is constant and uncomfortable. Like an itch that you can't stop. This ended after about four days and sleep got easier. Now thirteen days from last treatment feeling pretty good put some weigh back on (loss ten pounds and put on 6). Life starting to seem normal but tomorrow is another treatment.:( Welcome to Folfox Club wish you didn't have to be here. Best of luck Lou
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Bumping
    Bumping Up.