New here--ovarian, clear cell

srwruns
srwruns Member Posts: 343
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Just diagnosed on Oct. 14 when I had surgery. Clear Cell, Grade 3 Stage 1C. Surgery went well and will start chemo Nov. 19th. Pretty anxious. Just started early retirement end of June and was planning on a great ski season (lots of mid week skiing). I suspect chemo will dictate some of my skiing regime! Anyone with experience out there about maintaining physical activities while on chemo? Stage 1C which was good news...my understanding is that even though clear cell is more rare and can be aggressive it does seem to get Dx more frequently at an earier stage. Thanks all...I have read about many of you over the past week and Holy Cr###p....what a TOUGH bunch of women! Hope I can be as brave!

Comments

• kathryn1
    kathryn1 Member Posts: 88 Member
    Hi
    Hi,
    I'm very sorry you had to come here..... but this is a good place to come and ask questions, vent, and get to know these amazing women!
    I don't know about skiing on chemo. Your immune system will be down. I don't know about your ability to heal when on chemo, if God forbid you got hurt. Ask your Doc.. At first I didn't feel too bad, but towards the last few treatments, I didn't feel up to doing much.
    You are very lucky being diagnosed in stage one!! Most women are diagnosed that early.
    I'll keep you in my prayers,
    Kathryn
  • srwruns
    kathryn1 said:

Hi
    Hi,
    I'm very sorry you had to come here..... but this is a good place to come and ask questions, vent, and get to know these amazing women!
    I don't know about skiing on chemo. Your immune system will be down. I don't know about your ability to heal when on chemo, if God forbid you got hurt. Ask your Doc.. At first I didn't feel too bad, but towards the last few treatments, I didn't feel up to doing much.
    You are very lucky being diagnosed in stage one!! Most women are diagnosed that early.
    I'll keep you in my prayers,
    Kathryn

Thanks for the support. An
    Thanks for the support. An exusive group we probably all wish we werent members of!
  • Mum2bellaandwilliam
    Mum2bellaandwilliam Member Posts: 412
    srwruns said:

Thanks for the support. An
    Thanks for the support. An exusive group we probably all wish we werent members of!

Skiing! A lady after my own heart!
    Well, glad they have caught it nice and early , that is great news! As for skiing on chemotherapy it all depends on how you cope with it , my mum has sailed through it ,(so far, theysay it is accumulative) she has been more tired than normal, but has only been having a little snooze in the afternoons , so fingers crossed you will be able to do a bit. I know another lady, although she had breast cancer and I am not sure if the drugs are different but she was knocked for six. You'll have to see how it goes , good luck , enjoy you're skiing (lucky you!) xxx
  • leesag
    leesag Member Posts: 621 Member

Skiing! A lady after my own heart!
    Well, glad they have caught it nice and early , that is great news! As for skiing on chemotherapy it all depends on how you cope with it , my mum has sailed through it ,(so far, theysay it is accumulative) she has been more tired than normal, but has only been having a little snooze in the afternoons , so fingers crossed you will be able to do a bit. I know another lady, although she had breast cancer and I am not sure if the drugs are different but she was knocked for six. You'll have to see how it goes , good luck , enjoy you're skiing (lucky you!) xxx

Sounds like you have gotten

Sounds like you have gotten a lot of good comments already! I'm sorry you had to find your way here, but you will find that this is like a "family circle." I don't think there's ever been any real drama...just tons and tons of support and, believe it or not, laughter!

Hugs
  • srwruns
    leesag said:

Sounds like you have gotten

Sounds like you have gotten a lot of good comments already! I'm sorry you had to find your way here, but you will find that this is like a "family circle." I don't think there's ever been any real drama...just tons and tons of support and, believe it or not, laughter!

Hugs

thanks again
    a little set back today. some subtle swelling in my leg and pretty significant hip pain. Ended up in emergency treatment...CT scan...findings were the beginning of some clotting...now on Lovelox injectins daily for a few months...all this before and during chemo! Arrgghh...anyone can give me some insights aboout being on blood thinner and chemo? Thanks, S
  • msfanciful
    msfanciful Member Posts: 559
    Glad to have you on board,
    Glad to have you on board, of course it's always unfortunate as to the reason (cancer) you're here.

As time passes on you will find your comfort zone in how to deal/live with your cancer. You are super, super blessed that you were diagnosed as a stage 1C and as a result of this, your chances of survival are phenomenol!

Best advice...don't focus on the negative, don't stop living and decide cancer may be attempting to claim your body, but don't ever let it claim your spirit...

Stay strong,

Sharon
  • srwruns

Glad to have you on board,
    Glad to have you on board, of course it's always unfortunate as to the reason (cancer) you're here.

As time passes on you will find your comfort zone in how to deal/live with your cancer. You are super, super blessed that you were diagnosed as a stage 1C and as a result of this, your chances of survival are phenomenol!

Best advice...don't focus on the negative, don't stop living and decide cancer may be attempting to claim your body, but don't ever let it claim your spirit...

Stay strong,

Sharon

Thanks!
    Thanks for the nice post and encouragement. I do know that being dx at stage 1C is pretty darn lucky. Guess that is the thing about clear cell, even though more rare it does seem to get dx earlier. My little bit of information suggests that the tumor grows quite large (mine was 16cm x 9cm) so it was earily detected...actually initially by myself as I was doing lots of exercise trying to get a flat stomach and I felt this "fibery" thing below my navel which felt like muscle tissue but not exactly in the right place for the exercises I was doing. Then almost immediately the gastro syptoms hit. And coincidentially to all that was my annual exam time. So it went 0-100 from first symptoms to surgery.
    Thanks again for checking in...the journey begins.
    Susan