Latissimus Dorsi Flap Surgery

Dr3amline
Dr3amline Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone ever had this surgery done before? How long was recovery and any pictures to share?

Thank you!

Cindy

Comments

• Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Hi Cindy! I haven't had
    Hi Cindy! I haven't had this surgery, but, I am sure that someone will post to you that has. Good luck!
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    Angie2U said:

Hi Cindy! I haven't had
    Hi Cindy! I haven't had this surgery, but, I am sure that someone will post to you that has. Good luck!

Hi Cindy~ I'm a lat flapper!!
    I had my surgery Oct 08. I don't share any pictures, but I was so scared to go through the surgery, and actually did amazing, healing up nicely~ and to this day, look balanced and somewhat normal~ minus some scars. I have a scar down my back, and the flap of course around the breast. I had drains in for 2-2 1/2 weeks, and was told to lay low to heal. After 6-7 weeks I was out Christmas shopping with my girlfriends (they had to carry my heavy bags :) It has taken about 6-7 months to be able to lift myself using that muscle~like sitting, and using your hands to push yourself up and scoot over somewhere... but at this point I feel like it is adapting well to it's new location. About 4 weeks out, I was gently unloading the dishwasher one dish at a time, or the washer one item of clothing at a time. My doctor wanted me to take it easy to heal up real well, and not over do it.
    Let me know if you have other questions~ personal messaging can be accomplished thru the opening login page under CSN mail~~ or look at the brownish box on the left of the screen.
    Melanie
  • CarrWilson
    CarrWilson Member Posts: 111
    Hi
    This was one of the procedures that was offered to me. My plastic surgeon has many photos in his records of his own work. Here is a website: www.breastreconstruction.org that also have some natural photos. You can also google the Latissimus Dorsi Flap surgery with photos/pictures.

I did not opt for this procedure because I am an avid bicyclist, golfer, and work in a physically demanding profession with a lot of lifting. I did not want to take the chance of loosing muscle strength. (please note that this was my personal choice) A lot of women have chose this route and I am sure you will hear more responses. Good luck in your quest.

- Carrie
  • mirj523
    mirj523 Member Posts: 22
    Latissimus flap
    Hi Cindy I had a left mastectomy with latissmus flap sugery on 2/16. Things are going great, very little pain just a mild discomfort. It feels more like a sunburn than a true pain. My scars are healing beautifully it is right under my bra so it will be hidden and my breast has only a small circle scar in the front middle of the breast. It is really amazing how this major surgery is healing so beautifully. In another week my doctor said I can do anything I usually do, even lift light weights. I know that this surgery was the right one for me, because the expander would require many visits to the doctor and another minor surgery. I had a saline implant put in the day of sugery and although I am still swollen and numb (as expected) things are going great. Good luck with your decision. Mirjana
  • angel46
    angel46 Member Posts: 13
    Lat flap
    Had the double with a tram flap from lat in June. I had a great P.S. she's great with a needle!I'm young 46 ha, active ,and no problems with surgery. I got gel implants, and nobody knows unless I tell them. You'll be down a couple weeks and the drains are a pain... but I was walking the halls the next day. I have 2 lines where my bra strap goes, and circles where nipples used to be (getting those soon)but thats it. Best of luck Ang,
  • helen e
    helen e Member Posts: 223
    tram flap
    I had tram flap also (12/11) and am doing great. I chose this one because I am 44 and have to young teenagers who are very sports minded. I worried about losing a stomach muscle but chose that over losing arm function because we throw a lot of softballs, baseballs, and footballs and I wanted to be able to do that. I also wanted to be able to catch said items. I wasn't told that I wouldn't be able to do that but I worried about it. My plastic surgeon said that I really wouldn't notice much of a difference with the tram (unless I was a world class athlete) and so far I am very happy with the results. My daughter starts softball try-outs tonight so I guess I'm going to be testing those abilities soon. My biggest complaint was the drains they put in. I was lucky and didn't even have them in for 2 weeks. These surgeries sound terrifying (at least they did to me) but I found I made it 100 times worse in my head than it really was, thank God. I hope yours goes just as well, I'll keep you in my prayers.

Helen
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Had the Lat Flap in 2006
    The recovery wasn't too bad. Though I had to keep the darn drains in for about 3 weeks. They usually take them out after about 2 weeks. For whatever reason, my body just kept building up fluid. That was the most annoying part. And just remembering not to pick up things more than 8 to 10 pounds was hard for me.

All in all, I didn't think it was that bad. The first week of course was a little painful, but that's what all those great drugs are for! LOL.

I lost no arm movement and have had no major problems. Sometimes when I overdue it with my weight lifting, my back muscle gets a little sore, but nothing major.

YOu'll be fine. Hope all goes well!!

Sally