Omentum

jenfer71
jenfer71 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi...I've been battling colon cancer for almost 3 years. I started with surgery to remove the tumor. Lymph nodes were involved but no sign of spread to other organs. Went in for 1st chemo (folfox + avastin) and found out that a spot had indeed been discovered on my liver. Went ahead with the chemo...did 11 of 12 treatments. Next scan showed no signs of cancer. Three months later at another scan my liver lit up like a Christmas tree. Had liver resection surgery in Jan '09 and my doc was not able to remove all of the tumor due to location. Started a 3 month run with xeloda. No cancer seen for next 6 months. In Sept '09 the tumor was compressing my bile duct. I began 28 rounds of radiation + xeloda. In Jan '10 at another scan I had 2 new tumors in my liver and cancer cells were now in my lungs. Began folfiri + avastin in February. Did 6 months of this...pure torture...and then scans showed that the tumors in my liver were stable and my lungs were completely clear. Began doing xeloda+avastin. Three months later...tumors in liver are stable but there is something suspicious with the omentum. Anyone have it spread to the omentum? Treatment options? Success stories? Looking for any info that you can give me. I am a 39 year old woman with 3 sons who really wants to see them grown. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    3 years.....

It's time to get some second and third opinions, Jen.

Locate colorectal surgeons that are not of the same group
    or association, and make some appointments. I think it's
    time for a change.

Locating other oncologists in the same manner, will also provide
    other opinions regarding chemotherapy methods, if that's what
    you desire to continue doing.

And of course, there are also alternatives to explore, with or
    without conventional treatments.

With the obvious failure rate you're experiencing, I would personally
    begin looking at all other possibilities, along with getting other
    professional opinions.

Don't be shy, or feel you'll be insulting your physician. First of all,
    all good physicians welcome second opinions. Secondly, it's your
    life at stake, not theirs.

Don't waste time worrying about anything, just get into action,
    and do what you feel you have to do. Nothing helps us survive
    better, than our own natural instinct to stay alive.

Best to you,

John
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Welcome Jen!
    I am sorry you need to be here, but glad you found us. I don't have experience with spread to te omentum, but hopefully someone else can help you.
  • Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    Hi Jen
    So sorry to have to welcome you to the board but, so glad that you found us. It sounds like you've really been around the block with this cancer. I wish I could help with personal experience but, I haven't personally had spread to the omentum. I'm not sure about it but, have you asked if HIPEC is appropriate for cc that has spread to the omentum? Here is a link for some information if it might help: http://www.hipectreatment.com/index.php

You definitely should get some 2nd or 3rd or more opinions. It seems you've really given chemo the old college try. Do you use or have you thought of any types of alternatives?

I wish you all the best and hope that you get a response from someone who has had experience with this.
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Lori-S said:

Hi Jen
    So sorry to have to welcome you to the board but, so glad that you found us. It sounds like you've really been around the block with this cancer. I wish I could help with personal experience but, I haven't personally had spread to the omentum. I'm not sure about it but, have you asked if HIPEC is appropriate for cc that has spread to the omentum? Here is a link for some information if it might help: http://www.hipectreatment.com/index.php

You definitely should get some 2nd or 3rd or more opinions. It seems you've really given chemo the old college try. Do you use or have you thought of any types of alternatives?

I wish you all the best and hope that you get a response from someone who has had experience with this.

up
    up
  • jenfer71
    jenfer71 Member Posts: 2
    John23 said:

3 years.....

It's time to get some second and third opinions, Jen.

Locate colorectal surgeons that are not of the same group
    or association, and make some appointments. I think it's
    time for a change.

Locating other oncologists in the same manner, will also provide
    other opinions regarding chemotherapy methods, if that's what
    you desire to continue doing.

And of course, there are also alternatives to explore, with or
    without conventional treatments.

With the obvious failure rate you're experiencing, I would personally
    begin looking at all other possibilities, along with getting other
    professional opinions.

Don't be shy, or feel you'll be insulting your physician. First of all,
    all good physicians welcome second opinions. Secondly, it's your
    life at stake, not theirs.

Don't waste time worrying about anything, just get into action,
    and do what you feel you have to do. Nothing helps us survive
    better, than our own natural instinct to stay alive.

Best to you,

John

Oh I haven't been shy. My
    Oh I haven't been shy. My onc here at home was the one to find the mets to my liver initially. I immediately went to Duke University and found a wonderful team of docs there. I have also been to Cancer Treatment Centers of America and was pleased with them. I've been completely proactive in this phase of my life. I trust my docs immensely and am confident that I am getting the best care available. I was really just looking for more info on the omentum spread. Never really heard much about that and was hoping that people who have dealt with this would share any and all info they have.

Thanks for any and all responses!

Jen
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Welcome to Board
    It sounds like you have done your research and are not settling for one opinion. Sorry but can't give you any advice on your situation. Just wanted to welcome you to the board and tell you that you have joined a great family. Good luck.

Kim
  • Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member

Welcome to Board
    It sounds like you have done your research and are not settling for one opinion. Sorry but can't give you any advice on your situation. Just wanted to welcome you to the board and tell you that you have joined a great family. Good luck.

Kim

Bump
    up
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    spread to omentum
    I've had mets in my omentum twice. Found during full hysterectomy for my 1st recurrence, they removed most of the omentum. Then, when I had HIPEC in 2009 there were more mets in what remained of my omentum so they removed the rest of the omentum.
    mary