Mamotone Biopsy Aug.
Tumor removed Oct 1st.
Will have a port on Oct 29th
See a group of Dr's Nov 3rd

My Oncologists
Naturopathic Oncologist
Dietitian
Psychoeuroimmunology (PNI)

When I tell people I will be getting Chemo first thing they say is you will lose your hair & be very sick. So tired of hearing this already. Duh I know that!

My question is I am feeling that I want to be in control of lossing my hair. Has anyone got their hair cut very short say spiked on top, then closer to chemo just saved it off before starting chemo?

How many treatments before hair loss starts?

Would be grateful for any help you can give me.
Judy / 63 years old & still counting

Comments

• Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Judy,
    Welcome pink sister. Sorry you have to be here, however, this is a great place to ask your questions, read, or just to vent. When I started chemo in June, I got my hair cut really short (yes spiked on top). I was more upset about losing my hair than losing my boob. My hair started coming out between my 2nd and 3rd treatment. However, it didn't come completely out, just thinned alot. I did then just have it buzzed, not shaved. I was one of the lucky ones not to have lost all of it. However, everyone is different. Good luck to you and keep us posted on how you do. Hugs, Jean
  • kya911
    kya911 Member Posts: 157
    Jean 0609 said:

Hi Judy,
    Welcome pink sister. Sorry you have to be here, however, this is a great place to ask your questions, read, or just to vent. When I started chemo in June, I got my hair cut really short (yes spiked on top). I was more upset about losing my hair than losing my boob. My hair started coming out between my 2nd and 3rd treatment. However, it didn't come completely out, just thinned alot. I did then just have it buzzed, not shaved. I was one of the lucky ones not to have lost all of it. However, everyone is different. Good luck to you and keep us posted on how you do. Hugs, Jean

Thank you so much Jean for
    Thank you so much Jean for replying. I plan on spending a lot of time here.
    You are my first friend on here & hope to have many more.
    Also I want to be a good friend in return.
    Judy
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    kya911 said:

Thank you so much Jean for
    Thank you so much Jean for replying. I plan on spending a lot of time here.
    You are my first friend on here & hope to have many more.
    Also I want to be a good friend in return.
    Judy

hi
    hi judy and welcome i had chemo last september 2009 i did have my hair cut short after my first chemo about 2 weeks after chemo i started shedding badly so i had it shaved off. i got so tired of hearing its just hair it will grow back [ yes but its my hair easy for them to say. wishing you all the best and again welcome .

teresa
  • kya911
    teresa41 said:

hi
    hi judy and welcome i had chemo last september 2009 i did have my hair cut short after my first chemo about 2 weeks after chemo i started shedding badly so i had it shaved off. i got so tired of hearing its just hair it will grow back [ yes but its my hair easy for them to say. wishing you all the best and again welcome .

teresa

Thank you Teresa for the
    Thank you Teresa for the welcome & reply.
    This message board is wonderful.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    kya911 said:

Thank you Teresa for the
    Thank you Teresa for the welcome & reply.
    This message board is wonderful.

Welcome, Judy
    Taking some control over your hair loss helps many women feel a little better about it, so I think you're very wise to be thinking about this.

I would recommend that you get your hair cut as short as you're comfortable with before you start chemo -- I cut my hair VERY short, but, even so, when it starts to fall out, you won't believe how much hair there still is. As soon as I started finding hair in my food every time I ate, we buzzed it down as low as it would go with the clippers, and then just let it fall out on its own from there.

I did 4 rounds of Taxotere/Cytoxan (TC) -- for that "cocktail," hair loss will generally start 12-16 days after the first infusion. You didn't mention which drugs you're getting -- it may be a little different for different drugs?

I also used this as an excuse to go a little crazy shopping for cute hats and scarves -- I highly recommend the ACS' TLC site, tlcdirect.org. Great prices, and supports the ACS.

Traci
  • kya911
    TraciInLA said:

Welcome, Judy
    Taking some control over your hair loss helps many women feel a little better about it, so I think you're very wise to be thinking about this.

I would recommend that you get your hair cut as short as you're comfortable with before you start chemo -- I cut my hair VERY short, but, even so, when it starts to fall out, you won't believe how much hair there still is. As soon as I started finding hair in my food every time I ate, we buzzed it down as low as it would go with the clippers, and then just let it fall out on its own from there.

I did 4 rounds of Taxotere/Cytoxan (TC) -- for that "cocktail," hair loss will generally start 12-16 days after the first infusion. You didn't mention which drugs you're getting -- it may be a little different for different drugs?

I also used this as an excuse to go a little crazy shopping for cute hats and scarves -- I highly recommend the ACS' TLC site, tlcdirect.org. Great prices, and supports the ACS.

Traci

Thank you TracilnLA
    I might

Thank you TracilnLA
    I might as well buzz it off before 1st treatment then.
    Been wearing a scarf on my head today just to get used to it.Don't laugh ( oh well go ahead) they say laughing helps.

I had the same thought & have been looking at hats & Scarfs.
    Always liked hat but thought I looked awful in them.
    Now I have a good reason to wear them & wear them I will.
    I have a horse & ride. First hat will be a pink western hat. Hehe & Yahoo
    I oncologist told me but I forgot. My first visit. Thought I was getting radiation or the pill. Was in shock,but I am pretty sure she said Taxotere & 1 or 2 others for 6 or 8 treatments.

I will for sure check out the site you mentioned.
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Hi Judy :)
    I did the same

I did the same exact thing you described - i had my waist length hair cut to above my shoulders when i was diagnosed, and got 2 more progressively shorter haircuts as chemo approached, and had my husband shave my head when it was started falling out in clumps, which was right around 2 weeks after my first chemo. Although losing my hair was still pretty hard for me - being in control & losing it on MY terms did make it easier.
    You might be surprised though, and find that you don't get sick at all during chemo. I did not throw up or even come close to it one time through 6 treatments. They have reall good anti nausea meds that they give you. Pretty much any side effects that you can get, they have good medications that can help keep you comfortable. I think the hardest part for me getting through chemo (other than losing my hair) has been the hot flashes and fatigue - and when I say fagitue i mean - can't get off the couch too tired to speak kind of fatigue.
    Do you know yet what kind of chemo drugs you will have? Some of them can have some pretty specific side effects.
    Welcome to the CSN family Judy - although we don't want anyone to have to come here for having breast cancer, i'm always glad to see when new people make their way here - this site is such a wonderful resource for us all & the people on here are phenomenal. Any questions please ask away.
    Best of luck to you as you begin your chemo, we'll be here for you :)
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    welcome judy, but sorry you have to join us!
    this is a wonderful place - i am glad you found us early in your journey.

about the hair, i too was more upset about losing my hair than losing my breast. i had long hair and did not want to cut it short - decided to just let chemo (taxotere and cytoxan)take its course - was finding hair on my pillow, in the sink, on my brush, etc. then on day 12 when i went to wash my hair, about half of what was on my head came out between my fingers. i was on my way to pick up my wig, so finished washing it and was on my way. the woman at the wig place was phenomenal - turned me away from the mirror to shave my head and didn't turn me around until the wig was on my head. she did some styling while it was on my head, then said she needed to steam it and wanted to know if i wanted to be turned around again. i said no, and of course, began to cry when i saw my bald head - then i realized i looked just like my father when he lost his hair - and then i was okay with it. i had ordered a wig because i work in a catholic grammar school and didn't want to traumatize the kids too much. it turned out that i was totally fine with being bald and in retrospect, wish i hadn't bought the wig. i wore hats and scarves - and went bareheaded outside of work and church.

by the way. . . i never got sick on chemo, even tho i spent almost 8 mos. getting it (i was a chemo failure the first time and went on a different cocktail) i felt queasy at times, and things didn't taste very good, had some side effects, but all in all, not nearly as bad as i expected.

we are all unique individuals, and even with the same diagnosis and same drugs, we can react very differently.

i wish you a lot of luck - come back here whenever you need to. we are here to share, to care, and to vent.

sending you lots of hugs, heidi
  • kya911

I did the same

I did the same exact thing you described - i had my waist length hair cut to above my shoulders when i was diagnosed, and got 2 more progressively shorter haircuts as chemo approached, and had my husband shave my head when it was started falling out in clumps, which was right around 2 weeks after my first chemo. Although losing my hair was still pretty hard for me - being in control & losing it on MY terms did make it easier.
    You might be surprised though, and find that you don't get sick at all during chemo. I did not throw up or even come close to it one time through 6 treatments. They have reall good anti nausea meds that they give you. Pretty much any side effects that you can get, they have good medications that can help keep you comfortable. I think the hardest part for me getting through chemo (other than losing my hair) has been the hot flashes and fatigue - and when I say fagitue i mean - can't get off the couch too tired to speak kind of fatigue.
    Do you know yet what kind of chemo drugs you will have? Some of them can have some pretty specific side effects.
    Welcome to the CSN family Judy - although we don't want anyone to have to come here for having breast cancer, i'm always glad to see when new people make their way here - this site is such a wonderful resource for us all & the people on here are phenomenal. Any questions please ask away.
    Best of luck to you as you begin your chemo, we'll be here for you :)
    *hugs*
    Heather

Thank you so very much
    Thank you so very much Heather.
    Do you know yet what kind of chemo drugs you will have? No Heather not sure they told me but I can remember.
    Bless your heart for kindness shown.
    Hugs Back At Ya
    Judy
  • kya911
    heidijez said:

welcome judy, but sorry you have to join us!
    this is a wonderful place - i am glad you found us early in your journey.

about the hair, i too was more upset about losing my hair than losing my breast. i had long hair and did not want to cut it short - decided to just let chemo (taxotere and cytoxan)take its course - was finding hair on my pillow, in the sink, on my brush, etc. then on day 12 when i went to wash my hair, about half of what was on my head came out between my fingers. i was on my way to pick up my wig, so finished washing it and was on my way. the woman at the wig place was phenomenal - turned me away from the mirror to shave my head and didn't turn me around until the wig was on my head. she did some styling while it was on my head, then said she needed to steam it and wanted to know if i wanted to be turned around again. i said no, and of course, began to cry when i saw my bald head - then i realized i looked just like my father when he lost his hair - and then i was okay with it. i had ordered a wig because i work in a catholic grammar school and didn't want to traumatize the kids too much. it turned out that i was totally fine with being bald and in retrospect, wish i hadn't bought the wig. i wore hats and scarves - and went bareheaded outside of work and church.

by the way. . . i never got sick on chemo, even tho i spent almost 8 mos. getting it (i was a chemo failure the first time and went on a different cocktail) i felt queasy at times, and things didn't taste very good, had some side effects, but all in all, not nearly as bad as i expected.

we are all unique individuals, and even with the same diagnosis and same drugs, we can react very differently.

i wish you a lot of luck - come back here whenever you need to. we are here to share, to care, and to vent.

sending you lots of hugs, heidi

Heidi, Thank you for the
    Heidi, Thank you for the heads up or should I say bald up lol.
    I have to laugh or cry I choose laugh.
    Hugs
    Judy
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Judy
    welcome to this group of sisters. Whatever questions you have there will be several who have walked in your shoes to help out. I've had short hair for many years. My cocktail is Taxotere/Cytoxan and my hair started to fall out in clumps day 14 after 1st treatment. I had a hair appt the next day and had my hairdresser buzz cut it. I've had 4 chemo treatments and some spots are bald and others have 1/2" hair (white). I'm 61 and have been coloring my hair since 40. I've lost most nose hairs, armpits, legs. My eyebrows are sparse as are my lashes.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
    kya911 said:

Heidi, Thank you for the
    Heidi, Thank you for the heads up or should I say bald up lol.
    I have to laugh or cry I choose laugh.
    Hugs
    Judy

kya, you have a great
    kya, you have a great attitude and you will do fine all the way around because of it. As has been said, hair loss is traumatic and I was no exception. There are many ways to deal with it. Now that it's getting cooler, there are more options with all the cute hats out there. As far as feeling ill, we are all different, but while not a pleasant experience, chemo and rads if you need, are very doable. It is not like the movies make it out to be. This board will help you in so many ways. I asked so many questions, big and small, and someone always had " been there done that". Best of luck and warm thoughts.
  • kya911
    cahjah75 said:

Judy
    welcome to this group of sisters. Whatever questions you have there will be several who have walked in your shoes to help out. I've had short hair for many years. My cocktail is Taxotere/Cytoxan and my hair started to fall out in clumps day 14 after 1st treatment. I had a hair appt the next day and had my hairdresser buzz cut it. I've had 4 chemo treatments and some spots are bald and others have 1/2" hair (white). I'm 61 and have been coloring my hair since 40. I've lost most nose hairs, armpits, legs. My eyebrows are sparse as are my lashes.
    {{hugs}} Char

Thank you for the warm
    Thank you for the warm welcome Cahjah
    I have many questions, but will not bug you gals right now.
    Huge Hugs
    From this 63 year old
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    kya911 said:

Thank you for the warm
    Thank you for the warm welcome Cahjah
    I have many questions, but will not bug you gals right now.
    Huge Hugs
    From this 63 year old

what i really like about this site . . .
    is that i find answers to questions i didn't even know i had ;) so ask away, we are here for you!
  • kya911
    GayleMc said:

kya, you have a great
    kya, you have a great attitude and you will do fine all the way around because of it. As has been said, hair loss is traumatic and I was no exception. There are many ways to deal with it. Now that it's getting cooler, there are more options with all the cute hats out there. As far as feeling ill, we are all different, but while not a pleasant experience, chemo and rads if you need, are very doable. It is not like the movies make it out to be. This board will help you in so many ways. I asked so many questions, big and small, and someone always had " been there done that". Best of luck and warm thoughts.

GayleMc
    Thank you for your welcome, you are very kind.
    Hugs
    Judy
  • kya911
    heidijez said:

what i really like about this site . . .
    is that i find answers to questions i didn't even know i had ;) so ask away, we are here for you!

)))))))))))Big Smile))))))

• kya911
    kya911 said:

OK Question #1
    My

OK Question #1
    My best friend has been with me from the time I heard "Cancer".
    She has been to the Biopsy Lumpectomy & every Dr Appointment I have had & I know she will be there for me as long as it takes.

Would Sam be allowed to join the group?
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    kya911 said:

OK Question #1
    My

OK Question #1
    My best friend has been with me from the time I heard "Cancer".
    She has been to the Biopsy Lumpectomy & every Dr Appointment I have had & I know she will be there for me as long as it takes.

Would Sam be allowed to join the group?

Welcome to the boards and of
    Welcome to the boards and of course your friend would be welcome as well.

Hugs

Donna
  • kya911

Welcome to the boards and of
    Welcome to the boards and of course your friend would be welcome as well.

Hugs

Donna

Donna
    Thank you I will go find her. Yahoo
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Sorry you have to be here
    Sorry you have to be here but welcome. We will support you, answer your questions and just be the best friend you can have during this time. Oh, and we will keep you in our prayers and good thoughts as well.
    Stef