Breast reconstruction ??

jocolad
jocolad Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a single mastectomy (right breast) in February and waited to do breast reconstruction. I decided to have the implants and started the process in August. I have in the expander and go in each week to have it filled with saline--don't like. My right breast or whats left of it hard and I am concerned. My plastic surgeon said to massage it for 10 minutes three times a day (NOT FUN). He said that the scar tissue is too hard and we need to soften it. Doing the massages but not sure its working. Anyone had any similar experiences? Am I being overly concerned ?
Thanks, Joan

Comments

• mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    Hi there Joan,
    I did not

Hi there Joan,

I did not have expanders put in I had DIEP flap reconstruction. However I still had some scar tissue and I used an oil and massaged the area twice daily. I don't recall exactly how long it took for it to get soft again but it did take several months. It also faded the scar.

I used an oil, called Justine oil that is not available in the US but it does contain, Vit. E oil. I am sure there are other similar oils out there on the market.

take care
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Hi Joan,
    I'm also "under

Hi Joan,
    I'm also "under construction" although I had a bilateral mastectomy. I agree with you that these tissue expanders are NOT fun! My plastic surgeon also has me massaging both breasts a few times a day. Helps a little bit with the pain -but the tightness is still there & they're still rock hard. They will be like that until they're replaced with the permanent implant. I use Bio Oil -don't know if it helps with my scars at all but it makes my skin SOOO soft & makes it easier to massage. Massage every night & ice packs help me with the pain, also Ibuprofen on top of the pain meds I'm already taking really help me out alot. Hope you don't have too long to go on your expanders. I'm at 700cc's on my expanders with 2 more 50cc fills to go, looking at my exchange surgery around Thanksgiving!
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • hoop77
    hoop77 Member Posts: 84
    I had those damn expanders
    I had those damn expanders too and I feel your pain! I wouldn't worry about the hardness, mine were rock hard up until my exchange surgery 6 weeks ago. Now the implants feel nice and soft and squishy. Hang in there, relief is in sight!
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    sounds normal
    your experience sounds normal, if not fun. I had the expanders in for a year while I did chemo and radiation. They do soften up a little, but not much. I was fortunate that there was not much pain. I did do massages and used regular body lotion.

Take care. seof
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    seof said:

sounds normal
    your experience sounds normal, if not fun. I had the expanders in for a year while I did chemo and radiation. They do soften up a little, but not much. I was fortunate that there was not much pain. I did do massages and used regular body lotion.

Take care. seof

Helpful tips??
    I too had one side effected only~ and physical therapy helped with the scar tissue issue~ she would have me put two fingers together on one spot, press and hold it for like 60-90 seconds and the pressure would cause the tissue to "give way" sort of , and it kind of melted away. I did this for weeks, and found it helpful to do in the warmth of the shower or bath. Maybe add the oil as well, see what helps.
    Melanie
  • jocolad

Hi there Joan,
    I did not

Hi there Joan,

I did not have expanders put in I had DIEP flap reconstruction. However I still had some scar tissue and I used an oil and massaged the area twice daily. I don't recall exactly how long it took for it to get soft again but it did take several months. It also faded the scar.

I used an oil, called Justine oil that is not available in the US but it does contain, Vit. E oil. I am sure there are other similar oils out there on the market.

take care

Thanks this very much for
    Thanks this very much for the tip. I will check out the Justine oil.
  • jocolad

Hi Joan,
    I'm also "under

Hi Joan,
    I'm also "under construction" although I had a bilateral mastectomy. I agree with you that these tissue expanders are NOT fun! My plastic surgeon also has me massaging both breasts a few times a day. Helps a little bit with the pain -but the tightness is still there & they're still rock hard. They will be like that until they're replaced with the permanent implant. I use Bio Oil -don't know if it helps with my scars at all but it makes my skin SOOO soft & makes it easier to massage. Massage every night & ice packs help me with the pain, also Ibuprofen on top of the pain meds I'm already taking really help me out alot. Hope you don't have too long to go on your expanders. I'm at 700cc's on my expanders with 2 more 50cc fills to go, looking at my exchange surgery around Thanksgiving!
    *hugs*
    Heather

Hi Heather,
    Thanks for the

Hi Heather,
    Thanks for the encouragement. This really helps! I am at 525cc because I whimped out one week and told the plastic surgeon to do less. I go in today for another 50cc. Don't know if I'll go up to the 800. I am hoping to stop at 700 but if I don't like how it looks I will go all the way. I will definitely keep massaging, oiling, etc.
    Thanks again.
    Joan
  • jocolad

Helpful tips??
    I too had one side effected only~ and physical therapy helped with the scar tissue issue~ she would have me put two fingers together on one spot, press and hold it for like 60-90 seconds and the pressure would cause the tissue to "give way" sort of , and it kind of melted away. I did this for weeks, and found it helpful to do in the warmth of the shower or bath. Maybe add the oil as well, see what helps.
    Melanie

Thanks!!

Thanks!!
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    jocolad said:

Thanks!!

Thanks!!

Joan
    When i had my tissue expanders in they were very hard. I got my implants done in August and they are soft and not hard at all. There is a big difference in the look and feel from the expanders to the implants. They are more natural feeling and hang different too. I was really impressed at how they turned out. So, just know that you shouldnt have that hardness to them once you get the implant. You are actually able to adjust them into your bra afterwards too!!!

Laura
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    jocolad said:

Hi Heather,
    Thanks for the

Hi Heather,
    Thanks for the encouragement. This really helps! I am at 525cc because I whimped out one week and told the plastic surgeon to do less. I go in today for another 50cc. Don't know if I'll go up to the 800. I am hoping to stop at 700 but if I don't like how it looks I will go all the way. I will definitely keep massaging, oiling, etc.
    Thanks again.
    Joan

Joan - expansions & encouragement!
    I wimped out too Joan - i was getting 100cc's every week & once I got to a certain size the pain from that fill was unbearable - i literally woke up the next day in more pain than I did after my mastectomy. We've since cut it back to 50cc fills and i've been doing very well with these - i take a percocet and 2 ibuprofen right before i go in for my expansion, then use ice packs on them & my back for the rest of the day & that helps TREMENDOUSLY. Before i had been using my heating pad & just prescription painkillers. They told me the ice works much better at relieving pain & inflamation in my muscles, and that I could take ibuprofen in addition to my painkillers to also reduce inflammation. Since i've been using ice packs &ibuprofen i have hardly any pain from my fills anymore. And if 50ccs gets to be too much for you - ask your Dr to cut back some more, if you're not to the size you want to be! I had big, nice boobs before I got cancer. There was no way i was coming out of this with anything less than some more big, amazing boobs. After that painful experience I had, i told my husband i was done, i would settle for what size i had been at. Then I talked to my Dr & thought things over & decided i would rather keep going on, maybe take a little longer & get smaller fills, to get the result that I want in the end, it's worth it to me. I'm having my next fill in a few hours today- i can say that my plastic surgeon appointments are the ONE appts that i always look forward to going to throughout this! Mine is just so awesome, and all he wants is for me to be happy and feel good about myself again!
    Please feel free to send me any questions you might have, I'm happy to help!
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • mommyofthree
    mommyofthree Member Posts: 8
    lolad said:

Joan
    When i had my tissue expanders in they were very hard. I got my implants done in August and they are soft and not hard at all. There is a big difference in the look and feel from the expanders to the implants. They are more natural feeling and hang different too. I was really impressed at how they turned out. So, just know that you shouldnt have that hardness to them once you get the implant. You are actually able to adjust them into your bra afterwards too!!!

Laura

i had bilateral with reconstr
    I had a bilateral mastectomy last year with reconstr. Went in every fortnight for refills into my expanders. Wasn't too bad - some tightness and some pain but bearable. I also reduced the volume (from 100 to 75 I think) and right atfer the last session, I scheduled a surgery for the permananet impants (chose saline over silicone). After the permanent surgery, had drains for a week and then all was OK. No pain, no tightness (Since tissues already had expanded) now swelling. And this is my way of life now. They are comfortable and fine. Not like before, never. But look the same from outside and I can function very well , as before. This si aWhat you are experiencing is a temporary phase. It is not cancer or oncology related so it is less scary psychologically. And remember it will go away. The tightness is from the expansion or over expansion. All will be fine. Pl follow every instrcution from your doctor and surgeon and take good care. Love and best wishes.