Newly diagnosed

warrrior3
warrrior3 Member Posts: 92
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a core needle bx last Friday just about this time. Monday the call came that I had invasive ductal carcinoma, grade 1, stage 1. Since my sister has BC that has spread to her bones my first response was I wanted a double mastectomy. Now a week later my knowledge has grown but I am still unsure what this all means. I have met with one breast surgeon and have a second and third opinion set for next week. I just received a call stating my HER neu is negative, estrogen positive, progesterone positive. Nurse says this is a good thing. I went for genetic BRCA1 and BRCA2 test yesterday. What does this mean? Anyone with info? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I am sorry that you have
    I am sorry that you have found us this way, but you will find a lot of help and support here.

Being ER+ and PR+ (estrogen receptor and progesterone receptor) is a good thing because it means that your cancer is more likely to respond to hormone therapy like tamoxifen or arimidex (or femara or armomasin). It means that your particular type of cancer uses your estrogen and progesterone to feed itself.

Hormone therapy drugs work by either binding with your estrogen receptor site, so that the tumor can't use your estrogen to feed itself (tamoxifen) or they lower your overall estrogen level so, again, your cancer is "starved".

Also, ER+ PR+ cancer has a slightly better prognosis.

See http://ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/TumorCharacteristics.html

The BRCA1 &2 test requires a blood sample and it is a test looking for the more common genetic types of breast cancer. However, being negative does not mean that your cancer is not genetic; it simply means that you do not have one of the 2 tested types of breast cancer. Many of us with familial cancer have been tested and are negative. However, if you are found to be positive, the information can be helpful in determining your treatment as well as the treatment of your relatives.

See: http://ww5.komen.org/Content.aspx?id=5332&terms=brca

Hope this helps! My thoughts and prayers are with you!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

I am sorry that you have
    I am sorry that you have found us this way, but you will find a lot of help and support here.

Being ER+ and PR+ (estrogen receptor and progesterone receptor) is a good thing because it means that your cancer is more likely to respond to hormone therapy like tamoxifen or arimidex (or femara or armomasin). It means that your particular type of cancer uses your estrogen and progesterone to feed itself.

Hormone therapy drugs work by either binding with your estrogen receptor site, so that the tumor can't use your estrogen to feed itself (tamoxifen) or they lower your overall estrogen level so, again, your cancer is "starved".

Also, ER+ PR+ cancer has a slightly better prognosis.

See http://ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/TumorCharacteristics.html

The BRCA1 &2 test requires a blood sample and it is a test looking for the more common genetic types of breast cancer. However, being negative does not mean that your cancer is not genetic; it simply means that you do not have one of the 2 tested types of breast cancer. Many of us with familial cancer have been tested and are negative. However, if you are found to be positive, the information can be helpful in determining your treatment as well as the treatment of your relatives.

See: http://ww5.komen.org/Content.aspx?id=5332&terms=brca

Hope this helps! My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Welcome to the club no one
    Welcome to the club no one wants to join. I am glad though that you found us. Cynthia has answered all of your questions, so, no need for me to repeat them.

I wish you all the best and will pray for you!
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    It Is A GOOD Thing...
    that #1. They caught it early! #2. That you're hormone positive for estrogen and progesterone.
    Catching it early is key. I'm assuming your nodes where clear? That's key as well. Being positive for estrogen and progestrone is good too. That means they can give you Tamoxifen or another hormone drug to help stop the cancer cells from multiplying. It's just another tool you can add to your arsenal. The more tools you have to fight with, the better! :)

Don't know much about the BRACA1 and 2 tests...but I think it's better to have those come out negative. I can understand wanting to have a double mastectomy given your sister's situation. But take time to research it and talk to your surgeon. Studies show that the survival rate is the same for lumpectomy vs. mastectomy for early breast cancers. So there may be no need to do such radical surgery. It depends on the aggressiveness of the cancer as well. It's a personal decision that only you can make. Just make sure you are making an informed one.

Hang in there! You can and will make it through this!!

Blessings,

Sally
    Stage II, 9 year survivor.
  • leabow
    leabow Member Posts: 28
    One more test
    I was diagnosed March 30 2010 with the same type of cancer that you have. I had the Oncotype Test. This test uses 21 genes to determine your recurrence score. It was really important to me to know that. I had a good score. I think getting a good test report is the best medicine for us girls with breast cancer. I don't think my feet ever touched the floor when I left the Oncologist office.
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    So good they caught it early!
    You're wise to get all the info you can to make a decision. Depending on the results of your BRCA tests (which tell if you have that genetic disposition), you might be able to better decide what you're plan will be.

Keeping you in prayer,

Sylvia
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Welcome to the board
    I'm sorry for the reason your here but so glad you found us. This is the best place to come for information. Cynthia answered everything you asked but you can come here anytime and ask anything at all. You can also get allot of info on the left side of this page in the blue box marked cancer.org. Knowledge is power, and the more you learn the less scared you will be. We are all here for you anytime you need us. Take care Kay {{{HUGS}}}
  • warrrior3
    warrrior3 Member Posts: 92

Welcome to the board
    I'm sorry for the reason your here but so glad you found us. This is the best place to come for information. Cynthia answered everything you asked but you can come here anytime and ask anything at all. You can also get allot of info on the left side of this page in the blue box marked cancer.org. Knowledge is power, and the more you learn the less scared you will be. We are all here for you anytime you need us. Take care Kay {{{HUGS}}}

new
    Thanks to everyone for the information and encouragement. Six days into learning of this BC I feel a little less anxious and scared. Knowledge is power and having all of you brave wonderful women to chat with and learn from is a tremendous support system. I hope one day to ease the stress of someone. This weekend I hope to relax and focus on the fact that I was dx'd early.
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    warrrior3 said:

new
    Thanks to everyone for the information and encouragement. Six days into learning of this BC I feel a little less anxious and scared. Knowledge is power and having all of you brave wonderful women to chat with and learn from is a tremendous support system. I hope one day to ease the stress of someone. This weekend I hope to relax and focus on the fact that I was dx'd early.

welcome warrior
    Hi Warrior & again welcome :)
    Im SO glad to hear that your fear & anxiety is lessening for you, even if just a little bit. You are right, knowledge IS power, I found in the beginning of my cancer journey that the more I read, and researched, and asked, and learned about my cancer, the more in control I felt, the stronger I felt, and I definately had much less fear. This site is so wonderful - the support is amazing and the fact that you can talk with others who have gone through what you're going through & can offer you their advice & opinions & experiences is invaluable. Please keep us updated on your progress & ask away ANY questions you may have. I hope you have a nice relaxing weekend!!
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • MomMichelle
    MomMichelle Member Posts: 93
    Hello
    Like everyone else has stated, this board is amazing to get information and support. It is wonderful that you found your cancer early and that there are medications they can give you to improve your prognosis. It is a scary time, I know. I was diagnosed in June and I found the hardest part so far has been the waiting for results. You have results so know you can make the decisions and get youself informed. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask all of us or you can message me directly if you like. We will be here for you so you can chat, vent, or celebrate!

Michelle
  • Welcome Warrior3
    As long as you educate yourself on the different procedures (lumpectomy, unilateral mastectomy, bilateral mastectomy) the choice is yours. The doctors advise you on the procedures to lower your risk of recurrence but that’s all they can do. So read about the procedures and make a choice that good for you. I’ve decided on the double/unilateral mastectomy; it was a choice I made due to my family history.
    The BRAC1 and BRAC2 are gene mutations that women and men are tested for to see if this could be the cause of their cancer or if they’re higher risk for certain cancers(breast; ovarian..) Here is a link to explain: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/BRCA
    You have come to the right place because I found the survivors here (CSN) can be a great source of comfort, knowledge, and most importantly understanding.
    So welcome sister,friend,SURVIVOR!!!
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member

Welcome Warrior3
    As long as you educate yourself on the different procedures (lumpectomy, unilateral mastectomy, bilateral mastectomy) the choice is yours. The doctors advise you on the procedures to lower your risk of recurrence but that’s all they can do. So read about the procedures and make a choice that good for you. I’ve decided on the double/unilateral mastectomy; it was a choice I made due to my family history.
    The BRAC1 and BRAC2 are gene mutations that women and men are tested for to see if this could be the cause of their cancer or if they’re higher risk for certain cancers(breast; ovarian..) Here is a link to explain: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/BRCA
    You have come to the right place because I found the survivors here (CSN) can be a great source of comfort, knowledge, and most importantly understanding.
    So welcome sister,friend,SURVIVOR!!!

I was given a great book.
    I'm sorry for your diagnosis but there is life after breast cancer and it sounds like your's was diagnosed early. The book is, "Just Let Me Get Through This". It was written by an early stage breast cancer survivor and she goes through everything you can expect. It is very encouraging and informative and most importantly it is an easy read. So much is being thrown at us when we are early diagnosed that along with the fear it is almost too much to take. My bc sisters have given you great advise and please keep us posted on your progress. I'm 1 1/2 years out from Stage 1 breast cancer and I feel great. I still have time when I worry about recurrence but they aren't often anymore. I have come to expect that life is unpredictable and try to take things one day at a time.

Rest is very important in these stressful times so if you are having trouble sleeping as your doctor for something to help you. I also recommend that you ask to have your Vit. D levels and your thyroid checked. Many of us were low in vit D when diagnosed and vit D is protective for the breast. Others have had some thyroid issues and there are some doctors who feel that could be a factor with bc. No harm in checking.

Roseann
  • mommyofthree
    mommyofthree Member Posts: 8
    roseann4 said:

I was given a great book.
    I'm sorry for your diagnosis but there is life after breast cancer and it sounds like your's was diagnosed early. The book is, "Just Let Me Get Through This". It was written by an early stage breast cancer survivor and she goes through everything you can expect. It is very encouraging and informative and most importantly it is an easy read. So much is being thrown at us when we are early diagnosed that along with the fear it is almost too much to take. My bc sisters have given you great advise and please keep us posted on your progress. I'm 1 1/2 years out from Stage 1 breast cancer and I feel great. I still have time when I worry about recurrence but they aren't often anymore. I have come to expect that life is unpredictable and try to take things one day at a time.

Rest is very important in these stressful times so if you are having trouble sleeping as your doctor for something to help you. I also recommend that you ask to have your Vit. D levels and your thyroid checked. Many of us were low in vit D when diagnosed and vit D is protective for the breast. Others have had some thyroid issues and there are some doctors who feel that could be a factor with bc. No harm in checking.

Roseann

Praying for you
    You stage is early. Your HEREr negative is indicative that this is not an agressive tumor. The pr and estr positive (how much positive do you know) indicate that they feed on these hormones, so they will shrivel nd wither if these hormnones are controlled restricted or blocked - again something positive. I was in a similar situation last year and went for a double mastec with reconstruction just to play it safe. It can seem a shock now but this is an earlier stage and responsive (to hormonal therapy tumor) to treat. I know how you feel - I was there last year. I will pray for you. And I am confident you will emerge OK no matter what choices you make. Pl listen to your physicians/surgeons and follow every instruction carefully.

Love and best wishes.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    sea60 said:

So good they caught it early!
    You're wise to get all the info you can to make a decision. Depending on the results of your BRCA tests (which tell if you have that genetic disposition), you might be able to better decide what you're plan will be.

Keeping you in prayer,

Sylvia

Just want to welcome you to
    Just want to welcome you to this site too and to say that I have always felt that the more information you can get, the better you will understand your diagnosis and treatment.

Good luck,

Debby
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Welcome to the boards. You
    Welcome to the boards. You will find a wealth of information, support, humor and love here.
    Stef
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    journals
    A friend gave me my first journal (thought I wouldnt' use it but did almost daily) then after surgery and finally radaition my cancer center gave me another one (with saying etc) and place to write thoughts...

MUCH HELP
  • kya911
    kya911 Member Posts: 157

journals
    A friend gave me my first journal (thought I wouldnt' use it but did almost daily) then after surgery and finally radaition my cancer center gave me another one (with saying etc) and place to write thoughts...

MUCH HELP

Welcome! These ladies are
    Welcome! These ladies are wonderful.
    Yes I agree knowledge is power.
    Keep us updated on your journey.
    We are here for you.
    Judy