Exchange Surgery - What to expect??

MyTurnNow
MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am scheduled to meet with my plastic surgeon next Tuesday to hopefully schedule my exchange surgery. This is a "new" area for me and I'd like to hear from the experts. How long was the surgery? How long for recovery? Limitations on body? What type of incision is made? Anything special I should know? I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Thanks, ladies!!

Comments

• slynch
    slynch Member Posts: 82
    Piece of Cake
    I don't know whether you had mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. That is what I had and the exchange surgery was a piece of cake. I had the surgery on Wednesday and was back at work on the following Tuesday. Sore and bruised but nothing compared to expanders. Felt a major difference once the expanders were out but still do not feel totally normal yet. Guess it takes some time for that. Surgery lasted about 2 hours, outpatient. For me the incisions were made in the same place the mastectomy incisions were made. I had not worn any kind of bra since April so when the told me I had to wear a sports bra for the 1st week I was not happy but it was okay. I had a lot of trouble with discomfort, pain, etc from expanders so the exchange surgery was a welcome relief. Hope this helps.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    slynch said:

Piece of Cake
    I don't know whether you had mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. That is what I had and the exchange surgery was a piece of cake. I had the surgery on Wednesday and was back at work on the following Tuesday. Sore and bruised but nothing compared to expanders. Felt a major difference once the expanders were out but still do not feel totally normal yet. Guess it takes some time for that. Surgery lasted about 2 hours, outpatient. For me the incisions were made in the same place the mastectomy incisions were made. I had not worn any kind of bra since April so when the told me I had to wear a sports bra for the 1st week I was not happy but it was okay. I had a lot of trouble with discomfort, pain, etc from expanders so the exchange surgery was a welcome relief. Hope this helps.

Thanks!
    I did have immediate reconstruction meaning expanders. My incision was made removing the aereola and nipple. I had the latissimus muscle moved from my back to the front on both sides. I wonder if they make the same incision in this type of exchange. Whatever it is, I am ready to get the "rocks" out. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    MyTurnNow said:

Thanks!
    I did have immediate reconstruction meaning expanders. My incision was made removing the aereola and nipple. I had the latissimus muscle moved from my back to the front on both sides. I wonder if they make the same incision in this type of exchange. Whatever it is, I am ready to get the "rocks" out. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

agree!
    slynch covered it ... nothing like the mx ... my problem was I felt so good that I did too much ... I moved 2weeks out and did way more reaching than I should have and it set me back some. So, be careful! While it feels soooooo good to get the rocks out, it still is surgery and you need to give yourself time to heal.

Congratulations that you're nearing the end. When I woke up in recovery I couldn't stop saying, "They're so soft." I think they thought I was a freak ... but it's true. After months with rocks on our checks it is a most welcome relief that those things are out!

and, like, slynch, my PS used my mx scars for the incision.

blessings!
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175

agree!
    slynch covered it ... nothing like the mx ... my problem was I felt so good that I did too much ... I moved 2weeks out and did way more reaching than I should have and it set me back some. So, be careful! While it feels soooooo good to get the rocks out, it still is surgery and you need to give yourself time to heal.

Congratulations that you're nearing the end. When I woke up in recovery I couldn't stop saying, "They're so soft." I think they thought I was a freak ... but it's true. After months with rocks on our checks it is a most welcome relief that those things are out!

and, like, slynch, my PS used my mx scars for the incision.

blessings!

Dawn and slynch covered
    Dawn and slynch covered it...i just wanted to add my two cents. I had my exchange in mid july and they even get a little softer over time...mine have gotten a little softer and more felexable. It feels so much better than the rocks.
    One thing i noticed was with the expanders they are extremely perky cuz they are in a ball shape so when you get your implants they are not normally that ball shape...more of a tear drop shape. so you might feel like they are flat but big. its just your use to the shape of the expanders...im just starting to get use to it...the shape ajustment.
    But youll love it...its so worth it!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    jo jo said:

Dawn and slynch covered
    Dawn and slynch covered it...i just wanted to add my two cents. I had my exchange in mid july and they even get a little softer over time...mine have gotten a little softer and more felexable. It feels so much better than the rocks.
    One thing i noticed was with the expanders they are extremely perky cuz they are in a ball shape so when you get your implants they are not normally that ball shape...more of a tear drop shape. so you might feel like they are flat but big. its just your use to the shape of the expanders...im just starting to get use to it...the shape ajustment.
    But youll love it...its so worth it!

Like my wonderful sisters before me have stated ...
    same incision used .. less of a trama on your body ..and you will be fitted with an awesome surgical nylon bra from the 60's that must be worn 24/7. Some of us women did NOT have those nasty nasty nasty drains - it all depends on your PS.

Please don't be afraid ... the size and shape will be different than you are used to, and you may feel that you new 'girls' or ta-ta's or small than what had been discussed with your PS .. it does take several days or even weeks to get used to them.

Good luck .. and keep cups, saucers and plates at arm reach .. same with milk or often used foods in your fridge. You don't want to reach up and pull stitches!

Strength and Courage:

♥.•´¸.•~♥♥♥~•.¸ Vicki Sam ♩♫♬♪♥.•´¸.•~♥♥♥~•.¸
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    VickiSam said:

Like my wonderful sisters before me have stated ...
    same incision used .. less of a trama on your body ..and you will be fitted with an awesome surgical nylon bra from the 60's that must be worn 24/7. Some of us women did NOT have those nasty nasty nasty drains - it all depends on your PS.

Please don't be afraid ... the size and shape will be different than you are used to, and you may feel that you new 'girls' or ta-ta's or small than what had been discussed with your PS .. it does take several days or even weeks to get used to them.

Good luck .. and keep cups, saucers and plates at arm reach .. same with milk or often used foods in your fridge. You don't want to reach up and pull stitches!

Strength and Courage:

♥.•´¸.•~♥♥♥~•.¸ Vicki Sam ♩♫♬♪♥.•´¸.•~♥♥♥~•.¸

I'm a lat flapper too!
    I had my lat flap done, and had expander in also. Yes, the exchange is the same incision. Had a drainage tube for about 1-2 weeks. It was the smoothest of all surgeries and eased back into life smoothly and swiftly. I am pleased with my outcome. Wishing you the best!
    Melanie