Last chemo has been the hardest

2»

Comments

• mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    Hi Kay,
    I don't know what

Hi Kay,

I don't know what chemo you had. I had Taxol and my last chemo was also the hardest when I too felt like I had been hit really hard with side effects. In fact my side effects kept getting worse for a few weeks afterwards, notably the neuropathy and water retention which was aggravated by the heat. I did hear that it is possible the neuropathy will peak about 3 - 5 months after the last chemo and then start getting better. It is getting better in my feet but not in my hands right now and last chemo was 2 months ago. The neurologist said it would take my feet a year to return to normal!! My hands they are not sure as I know have carpal tunnel. The water retention has definitely gotten better over the last month although I still have some.

THey do say that he side effects are accumulative and when you stop chemo, those side effects are still accumulating. Of course, I wanted to finish chemo and finish with the side effects. Also once the steroids wear off you feel it so much more and there are side effects from being on the steroids as well. Take it easy and just be gently with yourself. You body has been through a great deal and it will take a while for it to return to normal. You might want to talk to you Onc. about it to see if there is anything he/she can do.

And Congratulations for making it through chemo particularly in good spirits.
  • iaelituuao
    iaelituuao Member Posts: 19
    Congratulations Kay on
    Congratulations Kay on finishing the chemo trip.
    I am on TCH x 6 rounds, had 5 down and 1 more to go.
    I will be getting my last chemo on Oct. 29, 2010. Still having the tingling and numbness to my fingers,toes and feels tired.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Celebrate and God Bless.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Congratulations Kay on
    Congratulations Kay on finishing the chemo trip.
    I am on TCH x 6 rounds, had 5 down and 1 more to go.
    I will be getting my last chemo on Oct. 29, 2010. Still having the tingling and numbness to my fingers,toes and feels tired.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Celebrate and God Bless.

Congratulations kay sorry I
    Congratulations kay sorry I am late! The further you are away from chemo the better you will feel, be patient though! I had a tough time just wanted to be better right away, but it was gradual. I keep thinking this time last year I was being admitted to the hospital!
    Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Kay
    I had my 4th chemo last Tuesday and I was wiped out within a couple of days. Zero energy! I also had a lot of swelling and some new side effects, i.e. teary eye, twitch below the eye, etc. I've also had a cough since my 3rd treatment. My onc did tell me the treatments were cummulative. I believe him now. I have 2 more to go. I'm glad for you that chemo is done. Hope you feel better soon.
    {[hugs}} Char
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    carkris said:

Congratulations kay sorry I
    Congratulations kay sorry I am late! The further you are away from chemo the better you will feel, be patient though! I had a tough time just wanted to be better right away, but it was gradual. I keep thinking this time last year I was being admitted to the hospital!
    Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations. I am late
    Congratulations. I am late too, but, am still elated for you!
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    I know this is quite past
    I know this is quite past your posting but since then I've had my last chemo also & I have to say I'm surprised - this last one has been my EASIEST chemo!! I had my typical 3 days of feeling good immediately after chemo (while i was on the steroids), I had my crash night & the next day where I felt really bad - then I started feeling a little better each day after! I only had 2 days of feeling really bad that time!! Once I got to chemos #3 and 4, i was feeling really bad for 4-5 days afterward. Less than 2 weeks after my last chemo & i did a 3 mile Making Strides walk :)
    Maybe it was my elation at being done with chemo? I dont know but i'm sure glad to be finished, and looking forward to feeling better every day!
    *hugs*
    Heather