Dental issues....ARGHHH!!

Gabe N Abby Mom
Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Bottom line...I have an abscess and the dentist doesn't know what caused it. Definately not a tooth issue, maybe the gums and even maybe the bone. So the dentist drained the abscess, and now there's swelling. This morning the swelling is up to my eye!! Don't know what they'll want to do now. YUCK!!!

Thanks for letting me vent!

Linda

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Linda, I had a similar
    Linda, I had a similar experience during chemo. I had to have 1 tooth pulled and then developed a similar condition on the other side of my mouth. The dentist was able to lance that gum and I didn't have any more problems. The one thing my dentist did immediately was put me on a pretty substantial prescription of penicilin. If I were you I would keep in touch with your dentist until you get the situation resolved. Good luck with that!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Linda, I had a similar
    Linda, I had a similar experience during chemo. I had to have 1 tooth pulled and then developed a similar condition on the other side of my mouth. The dentist was able to lance that gum and I didn't have any more problems. The one thing my dentist did immediately was put me on a pretty substantial prescription of penicilin. If I were you I would keep in touch with your dentist until you get the situation resolved. Good luck with that!

hope this gets better soon
    hope this gets better soon prayers!
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I had that happen years ago
    I had that happen years ago (not on chemo). It was an abscessed tooth. Had a root canal and he sealed it but didn't remove all the abscess and my face swelled up. Had to reopen the abscessed tooth to let it drain and put me on antibiotics. You need to see the dentist right away cause you don't want that up by your eye.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Linda
    sounds painful. Hope you feel better soon.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I am so sorry that you are
    I am so sorry that you are having to deal with the dental issues on top of everything else. Now that just sucks! Sending cyber hugs for speedy healing. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

I am so sorry that you are having to deal with the dental issues on top of everything else. Now that just sucks! Sending cyber hugs for speedy healing. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Linda, hope you feel better
    Linda, hope you feel better soon. Sending you good thoughts!
  • CypressCynthia

my advice
    P.S. I had a dental abscess years ago. The dentist then did a root canal on the tooth that hurt. It turned out to be the wrong tooth (you can't tell which tooth by pain as the nerves are all twisted together). That was a nightmare. I kept having pain on and on.

I finally ended up going to an endodontist (mainly because my physician father insisted) who did some fancy xray and told me it was the wrong tooth after being in his office all of 2 seconds.

2 root canals later, the moral of the story for me: see an endodontist if the dentist thinks you need a root canal.
  • weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440
    Marcia527 said:

I had that happen years ago
    I had that happen years ago (not on chemo). It was an abscessed tooth. Had a root canal and he sealed it but didn't remove all the abscess and my face swelled up. Had to reopen the abscessed tooth to let it drain and put me on antibiotics. You need to see the dentist right away cause you don't want that up by your eye.

Me too
    During Chemo I also had to have a tooth pulled and he put me on some antibiotics.
    Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Thanks for the good thoughts
    Thanks for the good thoughts everyone. I am on some heavy duty antibiotics and a prescription mouthwash to keep the drain site clean until it heals. Yesterday afternoon the tooth was throbbing, so now the dentist is sure it's the tooth even though nothing showed on the x-ray. She said the decision was a root canal by an endodontist or pull the tooth. This tooth already has a crown, and a root canal was done a couple of years ago so I said pull it. We'll be doing that on Monday, meanwhile my face is still swollen and I'm taking ibuprofen when the pain gets bad. Then onc appointment on Wed, and if all is ok Chemo on Thursday. I really hope all this dental stuff doesn't delay the chemo. Guess I'll know soon.

Thank you again for listening to me vent, and thanks for all the support.

Linda
  • Jennifer1961
    Jennifer1961 Member Posts: 137
    I feel your pain. AFter
    I feel your pain. AFter round 4 I had tooth pain. My regular dentist is far so I went to someone new close by. I was worried i might have a cracked and/or infected tooth. He said Oh no, it's TMJ. I need my bite adjusted. Anyway, a few days later, pain was worse, face and neck started to swell. The tooth was infected and had to be pulled. Pain was just terrible. Six weeks later my face and gums are still numb. chemo sucks. You might go to an Endodontist (root canal person). They can see cracks that the regular dentist can't with the techology that they have.
  • Jennifer1961
    Jennifer1961 Member Posts: 137

Thanks for the good thoughts everyone. I am on some heavy duty antibiotics and a prescription mouthwash to keep the drain site clean until it heals. Yesterday afternoon the tooth was throbbing, so now the dentist is sure it's the tooth even though nothing showed on the x-ray. She said the decision was a root canal by an endodontist or pull the tooth. This tooth already has a crown, and a root canal was done a couple of years ago so I said pull it. We'll be doing that on Monday, meanwhile my face is still swollen and I'm taking ibuprofen when the pain gets bad. Then onc appointment on Wed, and if all is ok Chemo on Thursday. I really hope all this dental stuff doesn't delay the chemo. Guess I'll know soon.

Linda

BTW, my tooth issues did NOT
    BTW, my tooth issues did NOT cause a delay in my chemo treatments. Good luck, hon, I'll be thinking of you.
  • CypressCynthia

Linda

Stop bisphosphonates first
    Linda, I am praying for you. Please let us know how you do. You are not on boniva, actonel, fosamax or zometa, right? If you are, you might want to discuss stopping those therapies while you have the tooth pulled. You do not want osteonecrosis of the jaw.

See:
    http://www.boneandcancerfoundation.org/pdfs/osteonecrosis.pdf