Stage 1A NO MX

z
z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Hello everyone,

I am an anal cancer survivor, and completed tx 6-30-09. On one of my follow up pet/ct scans a lung nodule of 7mms was found. On the 3 month follow up the nodule had grown to 11mms and the tumor board said it must come out. I had vats on 9-23-10 to remove the nodule and because it was biopsied in the OR and found to be squamous cell lung cancer, the dr went ahead and removed the lower right lobe. I was told this is primary lung cancer and not a metasis. I would like to hear from other survivors who have had the vats procedure and no other treatments such as radiation and chemo. I would like to hear how you are doing. Thank you Lori.

Comments

• soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    VATS to NED
    My experience is similar to yours, although I started at the other end with head/neck cancer in 05. In 2007 it was determined that I had a growing nodule in my lower right lobe, albeit to small at that time for determining whether it was new or metastasis. So we waited until the end of Jan., 08 to the biopsy that determined the nodule was squamous cell carcinoma. While I was still under, my doctors performed a lobectomy, removing that lower right lobe.

Where are stories differ is that I then received weekly doses of chemotherapy over an extended period of time (carboplatin and taxol).

I am now NED (No Evidence of Disease).

Hope and Humor, Lori!

Take care,

Joe
  • z

VATS to NED
    My experience is similar to yours, although I started at the other end with head/neck cancer in 05. In 2007 it was determined that I had a growing nodule in my lower right lobe, albeit to small at that time for determining whether it was new or metastasis. So we waited until the end of Jan., 08 to the biopsy that determined the nodule was squamous cell carcinoma. While I was still under, my doctors performed a lobectomy, removing that lower right lobe.

Where are stories differ is that I then received weekly doses of chemotherapy over an extended period of time (carboplatin and taxol).

I am now NED (No Evidence of Disease).

Hope and Humor, Lori!

Take care,

Joe

Joe
    Hi Joe,

Thank you for responding. Ever since I was informed of the nodule on 5-11-10, I have been researching and reading a lot of posts on this board. I have read your postings. You give me a lot of hope that this early stage cancer is curable. I will be seeing the onco tomorrow, and I want him to tell me that since it is determined that this is not a metasis, that I will not require further tx, one can only hope. I wish you continued health. Lori
  • catcon49
    catcon49 Member Posts: 398
    z said:

Joe
    Hi Joe,

Thank you for responding. Ever since I was informed of the nodule on 5-11-10, I have been researching and reading a lot of posts on this board. I have read your postings. You give me a lot of hope that this early stage cancer is curable. I will be seeing the onco tomorrow, and I want him to tell me that since it is determined that this is not a metasis, that I will not require further tx, one can only hope. I wish you continued health. Lori

hi z
    I was dx in 2008 with 1ANOMO lung cancer. I also had the lower right lobe removed. I received no further treatments. I now go annually for my CAT SCAN. I on the other hand have the BRAC mutation for breast cancer, so I didn't push for anyother treatments. None of my doctors recommended chemo even the oncologist I see yearly. I know people don't like to hear the statistics but my surgeon said she was going for the cure on my lung cancer. Oncologist said she would go as far as 95% that in 5 years I would still be cancer free. I am also praying along with a lot of people for a cancer free world.

c
  • z
    catcon49 said:

hi z
    I was dx in 2008 with 1ANOMO lung cancer. I also had the lower right lobe removed. I received no further treatments. I now go annually for my CAT SCAN. I on the other hand have the BRAC mutation for breast cancer, so I didn't push for anyother treatments. None of my doctors recommended chemo even the oncologist I see yearly. I know people don't like to hear the statistics but my surgeon said she was going for the cure on my lung cancer. Oncologist said she would go as far as 95% that in 5 years I would still be cancer free. I am also praying along with a lot of people for a cancer free world.

c

Catcon
    Hi Catcon,

Thank you for responding. This is the news I was looking for, it really gives me hope. I am hoping that I will not be required to have chem/radiation again, and that my onco, will tell me that this is curative, and will need to be monitered like you are. I wish you continued health. Lori
  • z
    z said:

Catcon
    Hi Catcon,

Thank you for responding. This is the news I was looking for, it really gives me hope. I am hoping that I will not be required to have chem/radiation again, and that my onco, will tell me that this is curative, and will need to be monitered like you are. I wish you continued health. Lori

Post Op oncologist
    Hi,

I went for my post op with my ocologist, and the NCCN guidelines do not recommend adjuc chemo when it is at the 1a NO and was removed with a lobectomy. So I will be monitered with the ct scan, and my 1st one will be 1-18-10. Lori
  • catcon49
    catcon49 Member Posts: 398
    z said:

Post Op oncologist
    Hi,

I went for my post op with my ocologist, and the NCCN guidelines do not recommend adjuc chemo when it is at the 1a NO and was removed with a lobectomy. So I will be monitered with the ct scan, and my 1st one will be 1-18-10. Lori

Lori
    That is right around when I go for mine. I'll be looking forward to your good news. Best of everything. Keep us posted.

c
  • groundhog
    groundhog Member Posts: 44
    catcon49 said:

Lori
    That is right around when I go for mine. I'll be looking forward to your good news. Best of everything. Keep us posted.

c

Z and catcon49
    Thank you Z and catcon for your info, thank you soccerfreaks for posting on the subject. I hope for clean results on your upcoming scans. Congrats.

Best wishes to all

Groundhog