Living in 3 month increments

patriley
patriley Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
I have nsclc. My last chemo treatment was July 2009 and radiation was August 2009. Since September 2009 every 3 month I have either a PT or CAT scan. Then one or two days later to the oncologist for checkup and results. i have been very lucky so far with no reaccurances but right before the scan (for about a week or 2 before) the feeling is that your life is so temporary. Does this make sense, does anyone else have this "temporary" feeling?

Pat

Comments

• Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Same feelings...
    Pat - I have the same feelings just before my Ct scans. I think it gets easier with each scan, I've learned not to worry about something I have no control over.

I completed my treatments in Sept of '09 and am due for my 3rd CT scan and this is the first time I haven't started worrying about it. Hopefully it will show that I am still in remission but I know that I have no control over it.

It's only human nature to worry but I believe it will become easier for you the further you get post treatment.

Stay well and try not to worry needlessly.

Glenna
  • patriley
    Glenna M said:

Same feelings...
    Pat - I have the same feelings just before my Ct scans. I think it gets easier with each scan, I've learned not to worry about something I have no control over.

I completed my treatments in Sept of '09 and am due for my 3rd CT scan and this is the first time I haven't started worrying about it. Hopefully it will show that I am still in remission but I know that I have no control over it.

It's only human nature to worry but I believe it will become easier for you the further you get post treatment.

Stay well and try not to worry needlessly.

Glenna

Thank you Glenna, i will
    Thank you Glenna, i will try!!
  • Dan620
    Dan620 Member Posts: 220
    We all do
    I am also sclc, last chemo and radiation Aug. 2008. First time Dr. used remission was Oct. 2009. I have had ct scans every 3 months and drive my self nuts for about 2 weeks before tests. I now have Lorazepam to take for the anxiety and it helps alot. Stay well.... Dan620
  • Glenna M
    Dan620 said:

We all do
    I am also sclc, last chemo and radiation Aug. 2008. First time Dr. used remission was Oct. 2009. I have had ct scans every 3 months and drive my self nuts for about 2 weeks before tests. I now have Lorazepam to take for the anxiety and it helps alot. Stay well.... Dan620

Congrats Dan..
    Just wanted to congratulate you as you are almost 2 years post treatment and sound as though you are doing well. I finished treatment - cisplatin and 35 rads for the SCC of my larynx in Aug '09 and Stereotactic Radiosurgery for nsclc in my left lung in Sept '09. I still have to have my throat "scoped" every month and a CT scan every 3 months but I have finally learned to not dwell on the tests and then waiting for the results. I found that I was spending too much time worrying about something I had no control over, my worrying wasn't going to change the test results ;-)

I never thought of the Lorazepam - probably should of used one before my first 2 scans, it definitely would have made the waiting less stressful - lol

Take care and stay well,
    Glenna
  • Dan620
    Dan620 Member Posts: 220
    Glenna M said:

Congrats Dan..
    Just wanted to congratulate you as you are almost 2 years post treatment and sound as though you are doing well. I finished treatment - cisplatin and 35 rads for the SCC of my larynx in Aug '09 and Stereotactic Radiosurgery for nsclc in my left lung in Sept '09. I still have to have my throat "scoped" every month and a CT scan every 3 months but I have finally learned to not dwell on the tests and then waiting for the results. I found that I was spending too much time worrying about something I had no control over, my worrying wasn't going to change the test results ;-)

I never thought of the Lorazepam - probably should of used one before my first 2 scans, it definitely would have made the waiting less stressful - lol

Take care and stay well,
    Glenna

Thanks
    Thanks Glenna, I actually have non small cell cancer (chemo brain) I just want all with cancer to never give in to this beast. When i was first dx May 2008 Dr. made me fill i would be lucky to see Christmas. I have had 2 look forward to many more. Glenna so glad to hear you are doing so well also. Best of health to you.... Dan
  • Glenna M
    Dan620 said:

Thanks
    Thanks Glenna, I actually have non small cell cancer (chemo brain) I just want all with cancer to never give in to this beast. When i was first dx May 2008 Dr. made me fill i would be lucky to see Christmas. I have had 2 look forward to many more. Glenna so glad to hear you are doing so well also. Best of health to you.... Dan

When first diagnosed
    Dan, it sure seems that a lot of doctors make you feel that your days are numbered (in small numbers)when they tell you that you have cancer.

The surgeon who did my first biopsy had me feeling like I wouldn't be here for Christmas also, I was diagnosed in May 2009. Almost 10 months post treatment, in remission and still going strong.

Best of health to you also,
    Glenna
  • ken99
    ken99 Member Posts: 3
    i'm afraid this is very
    i'm afraid this is very true....i feel the whole family becomes very tense all over again and so do i
  • friendoffurballs
    friendoffurballs Member Posts: 3
    mirror image
    After reading your post I felt as though I was reading it about myself. I have stage 4 lung cancer an I am in remission. I went thru chemo for 6 months and the tumor shrank. I now get Avastin IV every 3 weeks for the rest of my life in an attempt to keep it in remission as well as stopping any new tumors from appearing. I also get a CT scan every 3 months. The feeling that your life is temporary when these impending CT scans happen, does make sense. Very much so. I get very depressed in the weeks before the scan and I feel like I am walking on broken glass waiting for the appointment with my doctor to get the results of the scan. It's very stressful and understandably so. Your life almost feels like you are in limbo. I haven't, as yet, found a way to get past these feelings. An I'm not so sure there is a way. They are what they are. The 50/50 odds of good news or bad news after these scans is simply one of the cruel twists of this horrible disease. I can't help you with these feelings other than to say you are not alone in how you feel. And sometimes that in itself helps.

Kris
  • patriley

mirror image
    After reading your post I felt as though I was reading it about myself. I have stage 4 lung cancer an I am in remission. I went thru chemo for 6 months and the tumor shrank. I now get Avastin IV every 3 weeks for the rest of my life in an attempt to keep it in remission as well as stopping any new tumors from appearing. I also get a CT scan every 3 months. The feeling that your life is temporary when these impending CT scans happen, does make sense. Very much so. I get very depressed in the weeks before the scan and I feel like I am walking on broken glass waiting for the appointment with my doctor to get the results of the scan. It's very stressful and understandably so. Your life almost feels like you are in limbo. I haven't, as yet, found a way to get past these feelings. An I'm not so sure there is a way. They are what they are. The 50/50 odds of good news or bad news after these scans is simply one of the cruel twists of this horrible disease. I can't help you with these feelings other than to say you are not alone in how you feel. And sometimes that in itself helps.

Kris

Thank you Kris. It helps to
    Thank you Kris. It helps to know that I'm not alone!
  • Rick126
    Rick126 Member Posts: 2
    3 months
    I know what you mean, I am up to every 6 months now. I just completed my 1st 6 months. I had 3a nslc, I am using the word had!!!That 1st 3 month check up was so hard. Then it gets easier as you go on. I am 3 years and 6 months out now. Every check up you think they are going to tell you it is back. Now I am at the point now they think I have beat it. When he told me that I was one of 13 in his office that has beat this, I did know how to feel. I have been leading my life the past 3 1/2 years like there was not going to be a tomorrow. Now he tells me that I am going to make it, so strange the feelings about it. When you have cancer it changes the way you feel about life. I do not waste it anymore. No more weekends at work. Now that I am reborn so to speak no more wasted weekends.
    Keep your head up, you can beat this!!!
    It was nice not having to shave for about a year. I bought that Harley and have been seeing the USA.
    Find something you love and do not stop enjoying life till the lights go out.
  • patriley
    Rick126 said:

3 months
    I know what you mean, I am up to every 6 months now. I just completed my 1st 6 months. I had 3a nslc, I am using the word had!!!That 1st 3 month check up was so hard. Then it gets easier as you go on. I am 3 years and 6 months out now. Every check up you think they are going to tell you it is back. Now I am at the point now they think I have beat it. When he told me that I was one of 13 in his office that has beat this, I did know how to feel. I have been leading my life the past 3 1/2 years like there was not going to be a tomorrow. Now he tells me that I am going to make it, so strange the feelings about it. When you have cancer it changes the way you feel about life. I do not waste it anymore. No more weekends at work. Now that I am reborn so to speak no more wasted weekends.
    Keep your head up, you can beat this!!!
    It was nice not having to shave for about a year. I bought that Harley and have been seeing the USA.
    Find something you love and do not stop enjoying life till the lights go out.

Thanks Rick. Your bright
    Thanks Rick. Your bright outlook really helps.
  • nancycauston
    nancycauston Member Posts: 9
    patriley said:

Thank you Kris. It helps to
    Thank you Kris. It helps to know that I'm not alone!

3 months at a time
    After chemo and radiation once I recovered, every 3mos. in one day I did lab xray and them oncologist. He would tell me to hit the road he would see me in three mos. And I understood that as long as he said that the growth was still stopped, and the good result from chemo and radiation was still intact. That is not the case anymore as my status has changed. I miss the good old days when I would only appear once every three months as part of standard and routine follow-up. At that time I was late 3rd stage lung. I am now 4th, but am living independandtly,cooking cleaning ect.