drains out,now fluid buidup

anaumann
anaumann Member Posts: 60 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had my second drain removed tues- one day short of 2 weeks from my masectomy. All seemed good even when I showered 2 hrs before my checkup yesterday-- thursday. When the dr checked there was fluid that needed to be removed. Now less than 24 hrs later it appears to be similar amount of fluid. Ill be callling dr when they open today, but I am worried about the weekend. Did anyone else have this problem? Do they ever put a new drain in and is it difficult, done in dr office???

I have had continual lack of appitite and digestive problems, been trying not to think about cancer and chemo, but I guess it is always on my mind.

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I had fluid build up a
    I had fluid build up a couple of times and the doc aspirated the fluid with a needle and syringe. It did not hurt at all--I guess because the fluid pressure numbs the skin? Anyway, after the second aspiration, voila, no more fluid! Hope this helps!
  • CypressCynthia

I had fluid build up a
    I had fluid build up a couple of times and the doc aspirated the fluid with a needle and syringe. It did not hurt at all--I guess because the fluid pressure numbs the skin? Anyway, after the second aspiration, voila, no more fluid! Hope this helps!

P.S.
    Give yourself time with the appetite. I ate mostly soup and crackers for awhile. Potato soup being my favorite. Drank a lot of ginger ale. Constipation is expected. Call your doctor's office and they will tell you what they recommend.
  • anaumann
    anaumann Member Posts: 60 Member

P.S.
    Give yourself time with the appetite. I ate mostly soup and crackers for awhile. Potato soup being my favorite. Drank a lot of ginger ale. Constipation is expected. Call your doctor's office and they will tell you what they recommend.

How often was the fluid
    How often was the fluid asperatied. I concerned because it seems to have come backk so soon.
  • CypressCynthia
    anaumann said:

How often was the fluid
    How often was the fluid asperatied. I concerned because it seems to have come backk so soon.

At least twice that I can
    At least twice that I can remember--this was 23 years ago ;-). I don't think it is a big deal if they have to put the drain back in as you already have the hole. They probably just stick the tubing right back in the hole. If the hole has closed, they will give you a local anesthetic and then put it back in.

But I'm sending prayers your way that you won't have to fool with the doggone drain again!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

At least twice that I can
    At least twice that I can remember--this was 23 years ago ;-). I don't think it is a big deal if they have to put the drain back in as you already have the hole. They probably just stick the tubing right back in the hole. If the hole has closed, they will give you a local anesthetic and then put it back in.

But I'm sending prayers your way that you won't have to fool with the doggone drain again!

Hoping you can get the fluid
    Hoping you can get the fluid drained and that it won't build back up. The drains are horrible. Sending you hugs and prayers.

Leeza
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    fluid build up
    I had a fluid problem for months after mast. They drained it with a needle and then put a drain back in for awhile but it wasn't a big deal and it wasn't painfull, just agravating!!
    The second drain they put in was nothing like the original drains after surgery, more of a targeted drain and like I said it was no big deal. Try and relax, take good care of yourself, whether you feel like or not. It did finally resolve itself, thats the good news.
    love....alison
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I don't have any experience
    I don't have any experience with this yet (my surgery is after chemo). But I'll be thinking of you.

Hugs to you,

Linda
  • tambow
    tambow Member Posts: 42
    Fluid
    My dr. removed the drain tubes 2 weeks after surgery. The fluid continued to build so I ended up going in about every 4 - 5 days to get aspirated. This went on for 5 weeks.