Help I think I'm about to be a guinea pig

2Floridiansisters
2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Am I missing out on something concerning radiation? The other day I went to the radiation doctor's office building, I met him. Then the following day went back and they gave me a ct scan, a lady marked a couple of spots on me with what looks like a black magic marker and then when the scan was done she asked me what time I would like for the treatments. I told her mornings were fine. That's it, it took all of 10 minutes. Today she called and said I start on Monday at 11:15.

Okay then what is this simulation I see others mention. They never put me in a mold. It didn't take 45 minutes like some of you have said. What did they leave out?

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    nope thats pretty much what
    nope thats pretty much what I had, a little longer than 10 minutes. way easier than what I had 16 years ago
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    carkris said:

nope thats pretty much what I had, a little longer than 10 minutes. way easier than what I had 16 years ago

I think the "simulation" was actually the "scan" you had, but
    they did make a mold out of my head/neck so that everytime I went in, they put my head mold on the table and I laid on that so that I would be positioned about the same every time. Then, every week (on the same day) they took additional measurements to check the positioning and make sure it was the same.

Good luck to you with the rads. It seems like a long time, but it does go by quickly. I didn't have any real issues--just a little redness at the end.

Hugs, Renee
  • 2Floridiansisters
    carkris said:

That's all there is carkris?
    Okay then, I just want to know for certain that they know what they're doing over there. I want to live and all this seems so strange, one minute you're fine and the next minute your life is just a mess.

Thank you carkris
  • 2Floridiansisters
    missrenee said:

I think the "simulation" was actually the "scan" you had, but
    they did make a mold out of my head/neck so that everytime I went in, they put my head mold on the table and I laid on that so that I would be positioned about the same every time. Then, every week (on the same day) they took additional measurements to check the positioning and make sure it was the same.

Good luck to you with the rads. It seems like a long time, but it does go by quickly. I didn't have any real issues--just a little redness at the end.

Hugs, Renee

Hi renee, I see you've changed your picture,
    is that handsome man there your husband? WowWee girl...............How is your swelling these days? I have now developed a seroma under my armpit, but they told me I don't need it drained, in time it should go away but he also said it could take a year. swell...........when does the fun ever end? So sick of this cancer.

Thanks for your reply, guess I'm good to go then. I will be getting 33 treatments total. Hope it flys by like you said.
  • Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    Simulation on Monday
    Donna is going for a simulation on Monday. They are supposed to give her little pinpoint tatoos so that know how to position her for each treatment; figure out if they can do it on her stomach rather than her back; and give a fake treatment.

Things we didn't know until we met with the radiation onc. include: the whole breast gets radiated, not just the lumpectomy area (then the last five treatments are the lumpectomy area only); the radiation will fry some lung tissue and may damage the heart; there is a way they can give higher doses and fewer treatments.

And I'm sure I am leaving something out of this, but I don't think they said anything about a mold.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Hubby said:

Simulation on Monday
    Donna is going for a simulation on Monday. They are supposed to give her little pinpoint tatoos so that know how to position her for each treatment; figure out if they can do it on her stomach rather than her back; and give a fake treatment.

Things we didn't know until we met with the radiation onc. include: the whole breast gets radiated, not just the lumpectomy area (then the last five treatments are the lumpectomy area only); the radiation will fry some lung tissue and may damage the heart; there is a way they can give higher doses and fewer treatments.

And I'm sure I am leaving something out of this, but I don't think they said anything about a mold.

You got the CT scan for
    You got the CT scan for measurements that they put in their computer for you. You will get your simulation on your first day of rads, and, it will take awhile. I think I was there about 40 minutes maybe. It actually was the hardest day as you do have to lay there still for so long. The other regular rad treatments only take a minute. It takes longer to undress than for the treatment. LOL

I didn't have a mold of any kind. I just laid there with my arm in a comfortable sling on the side where my bc was. I got three tiny tattoos on the simulation day also. It doesn't hurt, felt like just a lil pinch.

With the new rad machines, the radiation does not go anywhere except where it is suppose to go. Ask for them to explain it to you and to show you. My rads oncologist showed us the computer set up and everything. It is interesting and my hubby and I wanted to know all that we could.

I also had boosters at the very end of my rad treatments, just to the tumor site. They want to make sure they kill any stray cancer cells left behind by surgery.

Use your creams from day one, if your rads oncologist gives you some. And, use them for a few weeks after you are done. Be gentle with your skin also. And, wear socks and slacks as the room is usually freezing. Ask for a blanket to keep you warm.

Good luck and I hope I helped you some.
  • 2Floridiansisters
    Kylez said:

You got the CT scan for
    You got the CT scan for measurements that they put in their computer for you. You will get your simulation on your first day of rads, and, it will take awhile. I think I was there about 40 minutes maybe. It actually was the hardest day as you do have to lay there still for so long. The other regular rad treatments only take a minute. It takes longer to undress than for the treatment. LOL

I didn't have a mold of any kind. I just laid there with my arm in a comfortable sling on the side where my bc was. I got three tiny tattoos on the simulation day also. It doesn't hurt, felt like just a lil pinch.

With the new rad machines, the radiation does not go anywhere except where it is suppose to go. Ask for them to explain it to you and to show you. My rads oncologist showed us the computer set up and everything. It is interesting and my hubby and I wanted to know all that we could.

I also had boosters at the very end of my rad treatments, just to the tumor site. They want to make sure they kill any stray cancer cells left behind by surgery.

Use your creams from day one, if your rads oncologist gives you some. And, use them for a few weeks after you are done. Be gentle with your skin also. And, wear socks and slacks as the room is usually freezing. Ask for a blanket to keep you warm.

Good luck and I hope I helped you some.

Thank you Kylez
    Yes that has helped me, I don't have any creams yet, I was wondering if they gave me any or at least a prescription for something. Also did your skin get all blistery red and raw, the doctor I met told me I would have raw skin because I'm big chested. I am so not looking forward to any of this, in fact he has me scared sh**less.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

Thank you Kylez
    Yes that has helped me, I don't have any creams yet, I was wondering if they gave me any or at least a prescription for something. Also did your skin get all blistery red and raw, the doctor I met told me I would have raw skin because I'm big chested. I am so not looking forward to any of this, in fact he has me scared sh**less.

Your rads oncologist will
    Your rads oncologist will give you a prescription for some if you need them. I also just bought Aquaphor at the local drug store. It is really greasy, but, does a great job on keeping your skin moist and you need that. I only used it at night with one of my husband's tshirts so I could just wash it in hot water and throw it away when rads were done as it stains. I got a prescription for Biafine, which is for any burn that you may get. I used it nightly too. I didn't burn, but, I got really dark pink and tender towards the end. My rads oncologist said that with the new machine at my cancer center, that no one burns, and, I didn't. I know some have on this board, but, I didn't. Be sure your rads oncologist checks your skin at least once a week or more. Don't dread it, just think of it as another tool in fighting the beast!
  • 2Floridiansisters
    Kylez said:

Your rads oncologist will
    Your rads oncologist will give you a prescription for some if you need them. I also just bought Aquaphor at the local drug store. It is really greasy, but, does a great job on keeping your skin moist and you need that. I only used it at night with one of my husband's tshirts so I could just wash it in hot water and throw it away when rads were done as it stains. I got a prescription for Biafine, which is for any burn that you may get. I used it nightly too. I didn't burn, but, I got really dark pink and tender towards the end. My rads oncologist said that with the new machine at my cancer center, that no one burns, and, I didn't. I know some have on this board, but, I didn't. Be sure your rads oncologist checks your skin at least once a week or more. Don't dread it, just think of it as another tool in fighting the beast!

Okay then thanks Kylez
    I'll do that, going to bed now, goodnight.
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    I'm at the end of my 2nd
    I'm at the end of my 2nd week of rads. I would do this all day rather than chemo. I slather on the Aquaphor in the dressing room after rads and again before bed.

Got 3 pinpoint tats, one between the girls and one on each side of my trunk. Everyday they re-draw cross hatches on them and make sure the lasers are marking the spot correctly. My magic number is 95.5 which is the radio station I listen to. (had no mold) Then this big machine starts at my left, and I could when rads are happening. Then it goes to my right and I can see the pins going into position, and count again.

The only problem is, when my arms are up in the armrests, head turned to the side, I have itches on my face all over. You can't move to scratch them.

Rads are not bad at all.

Take care, cindy
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Snowkitty said:

I'm at the end of my 2nd
    I'm at the end of my 2nd week of rads. I would do this all day rather than chemo. I slather on the Aquaphor in the dressing room after rads and again before bed.

Got 3 pinpoint tats, one between the girls and one on each side of my trunk. Everyday they re-draw cross hatches on them and make sure the lasers are marking the spot correctly. My magic number is 95.5 which is the radio station I listen to. (had no mold) Then this big machine starts at my left, and I could when rads are happening. Then it goes to my right and I can see the pins going into position, and count again.

The only problem is, when my arms are up in the armrests, head turned to the side, I have itches on my face all over. You can't move to scratch them.

Rads are not bad at all.

Take care, cindy

I had chest rads and they
    I had chest rads and they had to do mid chest so I have a pinpoint tattoo in the middle of my chest which is visable. No one notices but me, if Ihad known I would have told them to use something else as I really dont like it. although its bothering me less. One reason for the planning, is so they dont damage your lungs and heart. they have to tell you this may be a side effect, but the new way to radiate really minimizes this risk, My mom had rads 8 years a go and no effects. I had it 16 yars ago on the left and no effects. now the right side .......!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Ronda, just to give you a
    Ronda, just to give you a little more input, I finished rads on Christmas Eve last year. I did not have a "form" made either but rather I was positioned on my back with my arms criss-crossed over my head and I held onto a bar with both hands. The actual time to radiate was minutes. My rads onc recommended aloe as the only cream to use. I used it daily right after my rads and again before bed. I had 29 regular treatments and 9 boosters. I turned a little pink with the boosters but really did not burn. It has been almost a year ago and I still have my rads tan. Be sure to follow the instructions from your rads onc as they can all be a little different. Good luck to you, you will do just fine!
  • mjjones453
    mjjones453 Member Posts: 155
    MyTurnNow said:

Ronda, just to give you a
    Ronda, just to give you a little more input, I finished rads on Christmas Eve last year. I did not have a "form" made either but rather I was positioned on my back with my arms criss-crossed over my head and I held onto a bar with both hands. The actual time to radiate was minutes. My rads onc recommended aloe as the only cream to use. I used it daily right after my rads and again before bed. I had 29 regular treatments and 9 boosters. I turned a little pink with the boosters but really did not burn. It has been almost a year ago and I still have my rads tan. Be sure to follow the instructions from your rads onc as they can all be a little different. Good luck to you, you will do just fine!

finished rads in May
    From my experience, The intial Scan also did not take long.
    I had to go back to have my small tattoos, and then they did a mock run. Before I started, they took pictures that they keep on file, they took them again at the end of the treatments. I am large chested, and I did experience burns. The Dr. warned me of this because of by large breasts. They were very helpful in giving medicated pads when the burns developed, and they helped alot. I used a cream provided by them. Can't remember the name, but the pads I used were mediplex pads. I often sat with the fan on the area, with my bra off. This helped, but hurt. Don't be afraid to ask if you can take pain meds if you experience the sores. At the end of radiation, it was amazing to me how fast the sored healed up when I stopped radiation I think with in two weeks. Listen to your body! If you are feeling fatigue, rest! I also still have my tan at 5 months out, and still experience swelling. Best wishes to you!
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Sounds pretty much the 'Norm"
    I had no 'mold' made. The first time, they did a CT and mapping (drawing dots with a marker and lines between some of them) and one tattoo that would be used as a permanent mark for a permanent reference point. Went back the next day and they did another 'aligning' and added 2 more tattoo dots. The day of the first treatment they added another tattoo dot.

I did not burn at all during rads - tanned yeah but no real burn until after they were over - then I burned BAD. i did get a mild pink on day 23 and it did get a bit tender like a mild sunburn by day 25 but nothing bad but the next day the entire radiated area was burning, open and weeping. All the area did not scar but a lot did - it took 6 weeks for the last scabs to be gone - thankfully the deepest burns were in the area where nerves were gone but as it was I needed Vicodin for the other areas. Oh well, it did heal (I allergic to Sulfa so couldn't use Silvadene/Sulfadene so had to just try to keep infection out of it) and if it burned that much it certainly must have burned all the cancer cells that might be lurking in the area.

One of the things I found the most interesting was that there was no heavy door going into the rad area - in fact there was no door at all! As it was explained to me was that because it's a circular room the rays can not escape the area.

Forgot to add - every Thursady before rads they did X-rays - same machine/table that were sent to Dr. and then I saw him fter rads that day.
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member

Hi renee, I see you've changed your picture,
    is that handsome man there your husband? WowWee girl...............How is your swelling these days? I have now developed a seroma under my armpit, but they told me I don't need it drained, in time it should go away but he also said it could take a year. swell...........when does the fun ever end? So sick of this cancer.

Thanks for your reply, guess I'm good to go then. I will be getting 33 treatments total. Hope it flys by like you said.

You are right--a new picture
    of my sweet husband and me in Kaua'i. Still have the swelling but I'm seeing a lymph. therapist who's helping me with exercises and manual massage. It's helping, but not gone. Seroma still in the breast as well. My doc also said it could take a looooooong time to go away. He says it like it's no big deal. I want to say, "Here, let me put a hard golf ball inside your scrotum and let's see how comfy that is!"

Cancer sucks--I'm in full agreement with you.

Good luck,
    Hugs, Renee
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Rague said:

Sounds pretty much the 'Norm"
    I had no 'mold' made. The first time, they did a CT and mapping (drawing dots with a marker and lines between some of them) and one tattoo that would be used as a permanent mark for a permanent reference point. Went back the next day and they did another 'aligning' and added 2 more tattoo dots. The day of the first treatment they added another tattoo dot.

I did not burn at all during rads - tanned yeah but no real burn until after they were over - then I burned BAD. i did get a mild pink on day 23 and it did get a bit tender like a mild sunburn by day 25 but nothing bad but the next day the entire radiated area was burning, open and weeping. All the area did not scar but a lot did - it took 6 weeks for the last scabs to be gone - thankfully the deepest burns were in the area where nerves were gone but as it was I needed Vicodin for the other areas. Oh well, it did heal (I allergic to Sulfa so couldn't use Silvadene/Sulfadene so had to just try to keep infection out of it) and if it burned that much it certainly must have burned all the cancer cells that might be lurking in the area.

One of the things I found the most interesting was that there was no heavy door going into the rad area - in fact there was no door at all! As it was explained to me was that because it's a circular room the rays can not escape the area.

Forgot to add - every Thursady before rads they did X-rays - same machine/table that were sent to Dr. and then I saw him fter rads that day.

I want to wish you good luck
    I want to wish you good luck with rads. Before you know it, you will be done. Like Kylez said, keep whatever creams on your rads oncologist tells you to use. Some vary in what they want on your skin. But, use them from the first day. And, get lots of sleep. Rads will wear you out and you need extra sleep.

I never got any tan, as the rads machine was new and they don't do that anymore.

Good luck,

Diane