Claritan for Neulasta pain

Help4Sis
Help4Sis Member Posts: 53
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Good morning. For those of you who take/took Claritan for the bone/joint pain after the neulasta (sp?) shot, How much did you take and how often. I'm thinking I read that you should take it the day before the shot, the day of, and the day after? My sister has her first chemo today and will have her neulasta tomorrow. Thanks!

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Had no pain
    While Neulasta does often/usually give pain - it doesn't in all cases. I never had any pain from it - it just put me to sleep 2 hrs (almost to the minute) after the injection for about 2 hrs. Never any pain though.

There are many here who have used claritan for the pain though so you'll get info, I'm sure.
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Neulasta
    I was advised to take it for the 3 days but to also take it for a few days following if I felt the need. In my case it was difficult to tell whether it worked or not. The bone pain was unbelievable but I also had joint pain from the taxotere. Let's hope she has a better experience!
  • Help4Sis
    elm3544 said:

Neulasta
    I was advised to take it for the 3 days but to also take it for a few days following if I felt the need. In my case it was difficult to tell whether it worked or not. The bone pain was unbelievable but I also had joint pain from the taxotere. Let's hope she has a better experience!

Thanks!
    Thank you both. I hope she's one of the lucky ones....
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Help4Sis said:

Thanks!
    Thank you both. I hope she's one of the lucky ones....

I had minor shoulder pain
    I had minor shoulder pain for a day or two. now the stomach issues......
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I had no
    pain from the Neulasta shot. About 2-3 days later I got the joint pain (different from arthritis) and extra strength Tylenol worked well for me. I slept 12 hrs on and off most of the time.
    Char
  • Help4Sis
    carkris said:

I had minor shoulder pain
    I had minor shoulder pain for a day or two. now the stomach issues......

DId the shot give you
    DId the shot give you stomache issues? or the chemo...? Or, I guess all that crap will... :(
  • Help4Sis
    cahjah75 said:

I had no
    pain from the Neulasta shot. About 2-3 days later I got the joint pain (different from arthritis) and extra strength Tylenol worked well for me. I slept 12 hrs on and off most of the time.
    Char

Glad the Tylenol helped!

Glad the Tylenol helped!
  • Brooklynchele
    Brooklynchele Member Posts: 123
    Pharmacist
    I didn't take the Claritan b/c my Neulasta was discontinued after the first injection. BUT the pharmacist at my infusion center had advised that I should start the Claritan the day of the injection and continue it for 5 days.

Michele
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Help4Sis said:

DId the shot give you
    DId the shot give you stomache issues? or the chemo...? Or, I guess all that crap will... :(

No nausea
    I had no nausea at all with everythng. I did take all the anti nauseea pills given with the A/C (my first batch of chemo) religiously but by the time I got to later few doses of Taxol I quite taking them except on infusion day and still had no hausea. I've been told that it is believed that there is an area in your brain that dictates rather or not you'll get nausea - if you had no morning sickness when pregnant you probably won't have chemo nausea. At least that's what several chemo nurses and Dr. T said - no formal studies done but seems to be true.

Susan
  • Help4Sis
    Rague said:

No nausea
    I had no nausea at all with everythng. I did take all the anti nauseea pills given with the A/C (my first batch of chemo) religiously but by the time I got to later few doses of Taxol I quite taking them except on infusion day and still had no hausea. I've been told that it is believed that there is an area in your brain that dictates rather or not you'll get nausea - if you had no morning sickness when pregnant you probably won't have chemo nausea. At least that's what several chemo nurses and Dr. T said - no formal studies done but seems to be true.

Susan

That's interesting.

That's interesting.