I SURRENDER - THE PEG GOES IN NEXT TUESDAY

Comments

• sportsman
    sportsman Member Posts: 97
    PEG is no Surrender
    The PEG is no surrender just a necessity for most of us who have and are still suffering from this horrible cancer and the treatments we must take to rid our bodies of it. I was a tough guy for a while and tried to go without it for the first couple of weeks of my radiation. Even with the PEG I still lost fifty pounds and most all of the muscle mass I had built up in my over thirty years of working out. Even though I first looked at the tube as degrading, I realized it saved my life. Make sure you get the proper nourishment through the tube though. It is important to take in all the calories you can to keep your body weight up as much as possible. Also try to swallow liquids or maybe some type of food if possible to keep your throat muscles strong. I failed to swallow anything during a period of about six months with the tube and along with the scarring caused by radiation and me not using my swallowing muscles have left me with many adverse and irrepairable swallowing defects. As most everyone will tell you on this site is that everyone is different in regards to the side effects of radiation. Keep your spirits up and fight hard because this is probably the toughest fight you will ever have to endure. God Bless you
  • susan0803
    susan0803 Member Posts: 90
    sportsman said:

PEG is no Surrender
    The PEG is no surrender just a necessity for most of us who have and are still suffering from this horrible cancer and the treatments we must take to rid our bodies of it. I was a tough guy for a while and tried to go without it for the first couple of weeks of my radiation. Even with the PEG I still lost fifty pounds and most all of the muscle mass I had built up in my over thirty years of working out. Even though I first looked at the tube as degrading, I realized it saved my life. Make sure you get the proper nourishment through the tube though. It is important to take in all the calories you can to keep your body weight up as much as possible. Also try to swallow liquids or maybe some type of food if possible to keep your throat muscles strong. I failed to swallow anything during a period of about six months with the tube and along with the scarring caused by radiation and me not using my swallowing muscles have left me with many adverse and irrepairable swallowing defects. As most everyone will tell you on this site is that everyone is different in regards to the side effects of radiation. Keep your spirits up and fight hard because this is probably the toughest fight you will ever have to endure. God Bless you

husband just got his PEG
    Just to continue (from a different post I had submittted awhile back), I listened to the members on this board and convinced my husband to get a PEG. He just got it done today. It's a little strange seeing my husband with a tube coming out of his stomach, but I assume we will get used to it, and dealing with it is just another step in our journey.

That said, our radiation oncologist is still pretty skeptical and against having a feeding tube mainly because she is afraid my husband will get "dependent" - if that's the right word, and not keep up with the swallowing when it gets impossible to do so. She has repeatedly told us how important it is to keep swallowing! I promised her that no matter how painful or hard it will be for Joe to swallow, that I will make sure he keeps doing it.
  • plangdon
    plangdon Member Posts: 7
    Right Behind You
    Mike,

I'm kind of following your progress, since I'm right behind you in treatment (day 5 rad + 1 chemo), plus, I lift weights... I had a PEG put in about 10 days ago and don't realize it's even there (somewhat). I can even sleep on my stomach. I haven't had to use it yet, but it probably won't be long off til I do. I'm really inspired by all the support here. We can do this Mike!
    Pat
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    "Tool" is an Excellent Word
    Much as I resented it, and (in a small way) saw it as proof that I wasn't tough enough somehow, I never regretted getting the PEG. My docs said I needed it, and it was installed a month before I even started rads.

Like you said, it's a tool - I looked at it like medicine - the nutritionist gave me the prescription (calories), and the PEG was just the delivery vehicle for the meds. Sorry you need it - glad you got it.
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Hi Mike

It's the right thing to do my friend
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Hondo said:

Hi Mike

It's the right thing to do my friend

great pic
    Hondo, gotta tell you I really like this picture. Looks like the dolphin kiss got mixed reviews.
  • Greg53
    Greg53 Member Posts: 849
    Pam M said:

great pic
    Hondo, gotta tell you I really like this picture. Looks like the dolphin kiss got mixed reviews.

Smart Move
    Good move Mike. You won't regret getting the tube. There's probably several here who would agree with me that it was literally a lifesaver.

Keep up that great attitude bro'!

Greg
  • miccmill
    miccmill Member Posts: 248
    Greg53 said:

Smart Move
    Good move Mike. You won't regret getting the tube. There's probably several here who would agree with me that it was literally a lifesaver.

Greg

Mike
    You got your PEG yesterday. I agree with the others.

It's an amazing tool in this fight and it will definately lighten your load.

Not being able to take enough nutrition by mouth is frightening. Having the PEG tube there will take that worry right out of the equation and you deserve that.

You're doing great and we're all pulling for you.

Lisa
  • rozaroo
    rozaroo Member Posts: 665
    miccmill said:

Mike
    You got your PEG yesterday. I agree with the others.

It's an amazing tool in this fight and it will definately lighten your load.

Not being able to take enough nutrition by mouth is frightening. Having the PEG tube there will take that worry right out of the equation and you deserve that.

You're doing great and we're all pulling for you.

Lisa

Peg
    I have had mine for over eight month's. Now Dr. approved removal. It sure served it's purpose. I thought I could manage without it. I did great untill the last week of treatment. Then just could not eat.Used the tube & never lost a lb. So therefore I am greatfull for having it as it saved my life.
  • Hondo
    rozaroo said:

Peg
    I have had mine for over eight month's. Now Dr. approved removal. It sure served it's purpose. I thought I could manage without it. I did great untill the last week of treatment. Then just could not eat.Used the tube & never lost a lb. So therefore I am greatfull for having it as it saved my life.

rozaroo

Now that is what I call that a Life saving Tube……

Take care my friend
  • Hondo
    Pam M said:

great pic

Hi Pam

That is my grandson and I believe he was more afraid then anything else to have a big fish kissing him
  • stevenl
    stevenl Member Posts: 587
    Hondo said:

Hi Pam

That is my grandson and I believe he was more afraid then anything else to have a big fish kissing him

Peg
    Mike,

Nothing to it man, and believe me it will truly help you. Here's to continued success!!!

Best,
    Steve
  • abbimom
    abbimom Member Posts: 87 Member
    Good for you
    I also resisted the peg for a while. But after I got it, life was a little easier. It helped so much not having to worry about my water and calorie intake and let me relax a little. Good luck with everything.
    Best Wishes,
    Linda
  • JAG
    JAG Member Posts: 1
    LOVE my PEG tube!........ Don't want to let it go!
    Hi Mike,

My treatment is over and I am reticent to give up my PEG Tube! My doctor prescribed JEVITY, which is complete and balanced nutrition, otherwise, I don't think I could have eaten sufficient amounts to maintain my weight and health.

Although the doctors said it could be removed, I intend to leave it in until I am able to eat and drink enough on my own. I have trouble with bread and meats especially.

On of the late effects of neck radiation is scar tissue at the base of the tongue which I am having now, 5 months later. It takes me forever to eat a meal.

You will come to think of the PEG as the best thing ever.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    JAG said:

LOVE my PEG tube!........ Don't want to let it go!
    Hi Mike,

My treatment is over and I am reticent to give up my PEG Tube! My doctor prescribed JEVITY, which is complete and balanced nutrition, otherwise, I don't think I could have eaten sufficient amounts to maintain my weight and health.

Although the doctors said it could be removed, I intend to leave it in until I am able to eat and drink enough on my own. I have trouble with bread and meats especially.

On of the late effects of neck radiation is scar tissue at the base of the tongue which I am having now, 5 months later. It takes me forever to eat a meal.

You will come to think of the PEG as the best thing ever.

Meat & Bread
    More than likely, those are going to give you some problems for awhile...those both tend to need an extra sip of water to get down for your first several post radiation months...it'll get better. I don't need any extra water now at 16 months out, other than a sip every few hours during the middle of the night. My saliva has pretty much completely returned other than at night during sleep.

Best,
    John
  • buzz99
    buzz99 Member Posts: 404
    Peg
    My hubby had a peg put in before the treatment was even started. Adequate nutrition will help you get though this arduous journey.
  • luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
    Greg53 said:

Smart Move

Greg

HOME NOW WITH MY NEW LITTLE BUDDY
    I was discharged from the hospital this past Friday after having my PEG inserted. They have plasced me on Isolyte, some type of soy based high protien high calorie fluid. I just started sipping some liquid by mouth, but with the bi lateral radiation, my entire mouth and tonge and throat is completely raw and on fire. The most annoying side effect I am having is sweating, (24-7) even with no fever. My wife thinks that the healing process has something to do with this along with the burning of calories. I can fill a small mason jar 1/2 of the way up with the expelled secretions just from sleeping. I know we all react differently, but I seem to have been hit with the motherload of side effects.
    I have just 8 Rads. and 1 Cisplatin treatment left. I think I ring out on the 20th.

Any ideas on how long after my last treatments I will still have these side efects??

All the best!!

Mike
  • Dan Garrett
    Dan Garrett Member Posts: 14
    buzz99 said:

Peg
    My hubby had a peg put in before the treatment was even started. Adequate nutrition will help you get though this arduous journey.

PEG
    I really did not want the Peg and did pretty well eating nad maintaining weight until my sixth week of radiation. I told my Doc, I surrender PEG me. It was a life saver. I do not like being tethered to this thing but it is part of the healing process. I haven't used my PEG since July and hope to be untethered soon. Acceptance is the answer to all the things I have faced during this journey and you too will overcome this.
  • luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member

PEG
    I really did not want the Peg and did pretty well eating nad maintaining weight until my sixth week of radiation. I told my Doc, I surrender PEG me. It was a life saver. I do not like being tethered to this thing but it is part of the healing process. I haven't used my PEG since July and hope to be untethered soon. Acceptance is the answer to all the things I have faced during this journey and you too will overcome this.

ACCEPTANCE
    That is the key word. I have accepted the fact I need assistance taking in enough calories to heal properly. Not sure how long I will need it, so I will keep an open mind.

All the best to you and your family.

Mike
  • Kimba1505
    Kimba1505 Member Posts: 557

ACCEPTANCE
    That is the key word. I have accepted the fact I need assistance taking in enough calories to heal properly. Not sure how long I will need it, so I will keep an open mind.

All the best to you and your family.

Mike

It is all how you look at it...
    Mark had the PEG put in during his first week of treatment and did not need to actually use it until his last...but need it he did. I, as his caregiver, and his romantic interest, looked at it as a new part of him that I wanted to get my hands on!! Before he needed it for nourishment he would sometimes allow me to flush it out. Call me weird, but it put a kinda fun spin on it. I called it our "new intimacy". Go for it!!
    Kim