BC and BC (Birth Control and Breast Cancer)

Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was just at one of the horse sites I go to a lot.

There were several young women writing about the birth control pills that pervent periods for several months at a time. I went through menopause in 1991 so haven't kept up with birth control methods since then.

My questions have to do with rather or not there have been any studies done on the effects of this much 'messing with' hormones and breast cancer. Does anyone have any experience? Know of any studies (short term/long term) on the potential? I tried looking up some info but couldn't find any so anyone have any ideas?

Susan

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    OK, this is one to ask your
    OK, this is one to ask your gynecologist.

Katherine (daughter) and I talked with her gynecologist at length about our concerns regarding our familial ER+ cancer. He feels strongly that there are several good choices that have much, much less estrogen in them than what I took back in the 1970's. And, of course, nothing raises your estrogen level like pregnancy!

If I needed to take an oral contraceptive (I am now post menopausal) and given my family history, I would try and take the pills with the least amount of hormones. There are some lower dose pills. Katherine chose ortho tri cyclen lo.

I don't know a thing about the newer pills, but, again, I would discuss my concerns with an expert.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/oral-contraceptives
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member

OK, this is one to ask your
    OK, this is one to ask your gynecologist.

Katherine (daughter) and I talked with her gynecologist at length about our concerns regarding our familial ER+ cancer. He feels strongly that there are several good choices that have much, much less estrogen in them than what I took back in the 1970's. And, of course, nothing raises your estrogen level like pregnancy!

If I needed to take an oral contraceptive (I am now post menopausal) and given my family history, I would try and take the pills with the least amount of hormones. There are some lower dose pills. Katherine chose ortho tri cyclen lo.

I don't know a thing about the newer pills, but, again, I would discuss my concerns with an expert.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/oral-contraceptives

Had the same thought
    I was at my gyn. yesterday,there was a poster on the door advertising birth control. I thought back many years ago when I was on bc, and wondered if it had anything to do with the breast cancer. When you are young you never really give it a thought you are just wanting to prevent pregnancy. After all the drs. are prescribing the pills to you, so you believe it is safe.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Had the same thought
    I was at my gyn. yesterday,there was a poster on the door advertising birth control. I thought back many years ago when I was on bc, and wondered if it had anything to do with the breast cancer. When you are young you never really give it a thought you are just wanting to prevent pregnancy. After all the drs. are prescribing the pills to you, so you believe it is safe.

My daughter has irregular
    My daughter has irregular periods but i really dont want her on BCP's. but wonder if the irregular cycles are good for her either. I was on BCP for 7 months, didnt like them, and i took clomid for one cycle. wonder if this caused it.