DOES IT EVER STOP????

marines911
marines911 Member Posts: 68
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well, today was a really bad day. While at the ONC office today we discovered that my wife has not had a bowel movement since she does not know when. The ONC and RN agreed that an anti-nausea drip would not help and that the constipation along with the flu that my 2 boys had over the weekend was the reason for the vomiting along with taking oxycotin instead of oxycodone for breakthrough pain.

If this was not enough, my wife's face became numb on her right side and I noticed that her left eye started drifting up and looked like a lazy eye. I called the RN and he got the ONC, who then had the staff call the ambulance. The concern was that my wife was having a stroke. Once at the ER the neurologist agreed with the ER DR that it was not a stroke, but Bell's Palsy and that the cause is not known, but it is probably not related to the cancer, but ONC had them do a CT scan anyway. Well, something was there in the brain near the spinal cord near the #5 nerve and not the #7 which is the one that controls the facial part.

Next step was the spinal tap to get a sample of the fluid and now we WAIT for a couple of days to get the results. ONC is pretty certain, given her history with the cancer, that it is cancer related and that it is treatable with chemo directly into the spinal cord.

My teenage daughter was with us, because she was showing her Mommy that she can drive on the freeway and that she is prepared for this weekends trip to the grandparents house for the birthday party (have to take 2 cars to fit everyone). This was so SCARY for her and once we got home my other 2 daughters saw their Mommy with her face droopy on one side and can't close her left eye all the way and now she mumbles and says incoherent things.

I have called a good friend of mine and vented, but man can we just get a break, I mean just a couple of months, weeks, days, SOMETHING!!!!

Thanks for reading and lots of luck to those that are having just a bad day as us.

God Bless you all,

Hugs and prayers.

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    I am so sorry
    my heart goes out to your family. Still have they helped her with bowel movement? It is a very important element in her well being. Somehow she needs to drink a lot and have a bowel movement everyday to flush out toxins from her body, including produced by cancer cells and flu. I wish you have a good primary care physician who could take care of your family with not cancer related issues. Please stay positive.
    Praying that you will have and positive break through.
    New Flower
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    My heart goes out to all of you, Thomas
    I am so sorry that today turned out so badly. At least I am glad that you both got to come home after all was said and done. The fact that the onc is confident of treating anything that may have come up in your wife's spinal cord is at least a little break, right? And it's absolutely great that your daughter is so proud to help out by driving one of the family cars... I'm thinking this was the same daughter you were trying to figure out how to communicate with not too long ago. She is fast becoming a strong young woman and a credit to both her parents. Here's hoping and praying that your run of bad luck stops SOON!

God Bless,
    Joe and Moopy
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    You have so much on your
    You have so much on your plate and I am sure it is just overwhelming. I will keep you and the family in my heart, prayers and good thoughts.
    Stef
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    What an incredible man, father, husband you are
    It breaks my heart to see a family put through the wringer like that. You
    are a truly amazing family. It must be gut wrenching for you to see your
    wife and children suffer like that. But I want you to know how impressed
    I am with your love and loyalty towards your wife. I just know she will
    fight with all that she has to hold on. And what can you ask more of her?

Please hang in there and know that you are doing all you can possibly do.

Love,
    Ayse
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    It breaks my heart for what
    It breaks my heart for what you and your wife are going through. I just can't understand why good people suffer like this. You are always in my prayers and heart. She is very fortunate to have a loving husband. You are the best. I pray you get your break and a miracle that last forever. God Bless you all. Kay
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Dear Marines911, my heart
    Dear Marines911, my heart goes out to you and your family, my prayers are with you today and the days to come. May your family get a break soon, and know that the onc saying things are treatable is a great thing! Your wife needs relief from the constipation, it's vital she get that, constipation can mess with many things in our body's. Push water/fluids with her in order to flush her out, a bowel movement will make her more comfortable. I admire your love for your family and how you come here often and keep on top of things. Your an amazing man and bless your heart for all you do.
    God Bless,
    Kari
  • madjas4
    madjas4 Member Posts: 12
    Stay strong
    I think cancer is sometimes harder on the loved ones who watch us go though the "fight".I too have young daughters. And sometimes they have to remind me to stay strong. If you were not told by drs. make sure your wife wears a night mask or tape shut her weak eye. It will keep it from drying out. Dry eye is a pain to deal with on top of every thing else. God bless and your in my prayers.
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    So Sorry
    you all had such a scary, crappy day!! And I know waiting around for test results is no picnic in the park either!! I'll be praying that you all get some much need rest and some really, really, boring days ahead of you!

Keep positive. Keep fighting. This too shall pass!! :)

Blessings,
    Sally
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

It breaks my heart for what
    It breaks my heart for what you and your wife are going through. I just can't understand why good people suffer like this. You are always in my prayers and heart. She is very fortunate to have a loving husband. You are the best. I pray you get your break and a miracle that last forever. God Bless you all. Kay

I am so sorry for what you
    I am so sorry for what you and your wife are going through. I will certainly put both of you in my prayers.

Hugs, Leeza
  • pinkflutterby
    pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member
    Im so sorry! I have cancer
    Im so sorry! I have cancer in my spinal fluid as well. I have seizures and sometimes totally black out. I get treatment in my head by way of of an ommaya reservoir once a month. When I have a seizure and dont black out Im told I say things that are incoherent. I have not had the droopy face but have had my vision blurred and sometimes double vision.

Good luck to you and your wife and keep us in touch :)

♥ and (((huggsss)))
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I am sending up prayers...
    For you, her, and all of your family...

This thing is appropriately named 'the beast'!

BIG hugs, Kathi
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

Dear Marines911, my heart
    Dear Marines911, my heart goes out to you and your family, my prayers are with you today and the days to come. May your family get a break soon, and know that the onc saying things are treatable is a great thing! Your wife needs relief from the constipation, it's vital she get that, constipation can mess with many things in our body's. Push water/fluids with her in order to flush her out, a bowel movement will make her more comfortable. I admire your love for your family and how you come here often and keep on top of things. Your an amazing man and bless your heart for all you do.
    God Bless,
    Kari

God bless you Marines911 and
    God bless you Marines911 and your wife. I can't imagine going through all that you two have. Please be sure she drinks LOTS of water. That is so important.

Hugs, Kylez
  • marines911
    marines911 Member Posts: 68

Im so sorry! I have cancer
    Im so sorry! I have cancer in my spinal fluid as well. I have seizures and sometimes totally black out. I get treatment in my head by way of of an ommaya reservoir once a month. When I have a seizure and dont black out Im told I say things that are incoherent. I have not had the droopy face but have had my vision blurred and sometimes double vision.

Good luck to you and your wife and keep us in touch :)

♥ and (((huggsss)))

Questions?
    Did they do a spinal tap as well for the CSF? What exactly is the concern if the cancer is in her fluid? We have an appointment on Thursday to discuss the results, but not sure exactly what the concern is.

Thanks
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    So very sorry
    I'm so very sorry that you and your family are going through this. You certainly deserve to vent and I wish there was something I could do to help. How helpless you must feel and how scary for your kids and your wife. Hopefully you can find some comfort in knowing what a wonderful husband and father you are. Saying hang in there, this too shall pass sounds so ridiculous, but there are no words to comfort you right now. Please let us know what the tests show. Prayers and good thoughts are coming to all of you.

marge
  • pinkflutterby

Questions?
    Did they do a spinal tap as well for the CSF? What exactly is the concern if the cancer is in her fluid? We have an appointment on Thursday to discuss the results, but not sure exactly what the concern is.

Thanks

yes had a spinal tap and
    yes had a spinal tap and sorry to tell you its been the most painful procedure Ive had yet! The spinal fluid also is the fluid around the brain so I think thats where the concern lies. So far my brain is clear! Hoping it stays that way!!!!! When I get my treatments they pull fluid and test it. From what I understand its either positive or negative there is no # associated with the fluid. The spinal tap tech told me that my fluid was an "off color" not sure what he meant my that, and that fluid was negative. Its all very confusing!!!!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    sal314 said:

So Sorry
    you all had such a scary, crappy day!! And I know waiting around for test results is no picnic in the park either!! I'll be praying that you all get some much need rest and some really, really, boring days ahead of you!

Keep positive. Keep fighting. This too shall pass!! :)

Blessings,
    Sally

I'm so very sorry. It is
    I'm so very sorry. It is hard to believe all that you have gone through and still are. Praying for you and your wife daily.

Lex
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    You both have been
    through so much I wish I could tell you it will get better. I'm so sorry that your wife is having so many things go wrong. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    cahjah75 said:

You both have been
    through so much I wish I could tell you it will get better. I'm so sorry that your wife is having so many things go wrong. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
    {{hugs}} Char

It just breaks my heart!
    At times, it may not seems so but God will never leave you. Many people think it's all God's fault but He never promised a life without suffering. He DID promise He will never leave you. We are all praying for you dear friend. We are grieving right alongside you and your wife. Stay strong, hold on to your faith, claim the Word despite troubles.

Hugs to you both! Praying for the family too!

Sylvia
  • pinkflutterby
    sea60 said:

It just breaks my heart!
    At times, it may not seems so but God will never leave you. Many people think it's all God's fault but He never promised a life without suffering. He DID promise He will never leave you. We are all praying for you dear friend. We are grieving right alongside you and your wife. Stay strong, hold on to your faith, claim the Word despite troubles.

Hugs to you both! Praying for the family too!

Sylvia

well said Sylvia :)

well said Sylvia :)
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Just when you think
    SemperFi Marine,

Just when you think it can't get any worse, only better, the bottom falls out again. To some there is only an obis with no answers. Bells Palsy is related to shingles, as we have been told. My Marine came down with it a couple of months ago, which scared the begebes out of us too. Not a stroke on top of all his other ills, I did't think he could take more. He is working through the Bells Palsy slowly. Meds have worked, plasy is slowly going away. He keeps exercising his face muscles by blowing up his cheeks. My Marine got me through the rough and tough times of bc, but is sure wasn't like your Omaha Beach. Were you given ointment to keep her eye moist until it is able to close by it's self again. We were given a type of goggle for showering to keep water and shampoo out of eye also.

As always, we are all here for support to one another, even on bad days. With children to also get through this life test your strength will be tested more than you ever thought. With this I leave you with my heart felt thoughts and prayers.