How long does it take for the stiches to disolve?

2Floridiansisters
2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm talking about the internal ones, (sp) suechers, sutchers?

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    dont know how long for sure
    dont know how long for sure my daughter had her wisdom teeth out it took a couple of weeks. sutures :)
  • carkris
    carkris said:

dont know how long for sure
    dont know how long for sure my daughter had her wisdom teeth out it took a couple of weeks. sutures :)

found this on google
    Med student here. I'll help ya out! ­To your body, stitches are a foreign substance, and the body is programmed to destroy foreign substances. Dissolvable stitches are made from natural materials, such as processed collagen (animal intestines), silk and hair, as well as some synthetic materials that the body can break down. This allows the body to dissolve the stitches over time. Usually, by the time the stitches are dissolved, the wound is completely healed.

Occasionally, a stitch won't dissolve completely. This usually occurs when part of the stitch is left on the outside of the body. There, the body's fluids cannot dissolve and decompose the stitch, so it remains intact. A doctor can easily remove the remaining piece of stitch once the wound is closed. Usually takes about 10-14 days.
    Source(s):
  • 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
    carkris said:

found this on google
    Med student here. I'll help ya out! ­To your body, stitches are a foreign substance, and the body is programmed to destroy foreign substances. Dissolvable stitches are made from natural materials, such as processed collagen (animal intestines), silk and hair, as well as some synthetic materials that the body can break down. This allows the body to dissolve the stitches over time. Usually, by the time the stitches are dissolved, the wound is completely healed.

Occasionally, a stitch won't dissolve completely. This usually occurs when part of the stitch is left on the outside of the body. There, the body's fluids cannot dissolve and decompose the stitch, so it remains intact. A doctor can easily remove the remaining piece of stitch once the wound is closed. Usually takes about 10-14 days.
    Source(s):

Thanks carkris
    Okay then, I'm on day 19 I think, good to know, would you happen to know where I can buy a compression bra?
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

Thanks carkris
    Okay then, I'm on day 19 I think, good to know, would you happen to know where I can buy a compression bra?

My plastic surgeon said it
    My plastic surgeon said it can take up to 30 days or even more sometimes for a stitch to dissolve. I am not for sure if there really is a set amount of days or not. Call your surgeon if you are concerned, but, I bet you are doing just fine. Good luck!
  • carkris
    Angie2U said:

My plastic surgeon said it
    My plastic surgeon said it can take up to 30 days or even more sometimes for a stitch to dissolve. I am not for sure if there really is a set amount of days or not. Call your surgeon if you are concerned, but, I bet you are doing just fine. Good luck!

hmmm dont know I would try a
    hmmm dont know I would try a place they sell mastectomy supplies.