Getting a Port to.

Kenny H.
Kenny H. Member Posts: 502 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Going on 3rd week now with perm Colostomy bag & getting used to it and not as bad as I ever 1st thought. Had 6 nodes positive & removed at time of surgery. Now having a port installed soon and will be getting treatment every 2 weeks (dont know wich type) for 4 to 6 months.
Q is how are the side effects of this? Was hoping to return to work but guess will have to wait and see.

Comments

• geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Kenny:
    My George worked while going through chemo, Folfox and the pump. Lots of people do. Now when you get home from work, won't be doing much, fatigue, fatigue, fatigue was George's biggest enemy so don't push it, let your body rest, but as far as going to work every day except for infusion, George did.

Take care - Tina
  • 462lt
    462lt Member Posts: 117
    I was wondering about you
    I was wondering how you were doing. Sorry about the lyphm nodes. Sounds like you are adjusting to your bag but you always had a really good attitude about it. I wish the best for you. Laura
  • lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905
    Work during tx
    I also was able to work-have a desk job- during FOLFOX tx and had very few side effects (I did get acupuncture during that time) and had less than Grade 1 neuropathy which has diminished over the past year and a half to slight pins an needles and diminished sensation. I walked just about every day even in winter though bundled up especially my face against cold. Cold wind was the worst. I couldn't do much else though except go to work though (had help with household chores cooking shopping etc), and as tx went on it became harder to motivate to exercise though that is shown to reduce side effects.

Good luck!
    Leslie
  • khl8
    khl8 Member Posts: 807
    lesvanb said:

Work during tx
    I also was able to work-have a desk job- during FOLFOX tx and had very few side effects (I did get acupuncture during that time) and had less than Grade 1 neuropathy which has diminished over the past year and a half to slight pins an needles and diminished sensation. I walked just about every day even in winter though bundled up especially my face against cold. Cold wind was the worst. I couldn't do much else though except go to work though (had help with household chores cooking shopping etc), and as tx went on it became harder to motivate to exercise though that is shown to reduce side effects.

Good luck!
    Leslie

Kenny,
    I worked the entire

Kenny,
    I worked the entire time I was on chemo, I did work from home on the days I was hooked up tothe pump, but that was because my boss preferred it. I went out with friends, I shopped, all thenormal stuff. I usually felt pretty good while receiving treatment, it was at the disconnect that the fatigue kicked in. I made arrangements to have the chemo pump put on on a Thursday and then home care came and took it off on Saturday.

Kathy
  • Kenny H.
    Kenny H. Member Posts: 502 Member
    khl8 said:

Kenny,
    I worked the entire

Kenny,
    I worked the entire time I was on chemo, I did work from home on the days I was hooked up tothe pump, but that was because my boss preferred it. I went out with friends, I shopped, all thenormal stuff. I usually felt pretty good while receiving treatment, it was at the disconnect that the fatigue kicked in. I made arrangements to have the chemo pump put on on a Thursday and then home care came and took it off on Saturday.

Kathy

Thanks for the replies. Im
    Thanks for the replies. Im gonna try to work also if they'll let me...i do service home repair and involves lots of driving.
  • christinecarl
    christinecarl Member Posts: 543 Member
    I kept working
    I worked full time through out my chemo, just brought my pump to work with me. I never had a bag, so not sure about that part. Like another said if you live in a cold climate, bundle up. By the end of the week I was pretty darn tired and would sleep a lot on weekends. Also I found it to be helpful to get fluids on my pump disconnect day, just ask your Onc for it. I had to try a couple of different anti nausea meds until I found the right one (Emend) Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing