new taxotere infusion

Heatherbelle
Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Good morning sisters - last Thursday was my chemo #5 and my first of 2 cycles of Taxotere. Yesterday was crash day for both mom & I (it was her first AC infusion). So far I seem to be handling it ok, i dont have the general sick feeling, pain, and extreme fatigue like I did on AC, but this one has a whole new basket of side effects for me, the worst being this pain in my hands. The palms of my hands are red, sore, tender - they feel burnt, actually. The redness is on all of my palm, and extends to part of the tops of my hands & the sides. I cant even twist off the top of my water bottle by myself! I'm going to check in with the nurse this morning, but anyone else have this with Taxotere? Is there anything you can take, like benadryl, to relieve the symptoms? Maybe a lotion to help?
Thank you in advance!! Hope you all have a GREAT day!
*hugs*
Heather

Comments

• Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    Hi Heather, I was on
    Hi Heather, I was on taxotere, and yes I got the burns, 1st one was on my face, then after it cleared up with steroids and cortizone cream I had my nxt treatment and the nxt burn was on the bottom and back of my feet, the last one was on both my arms, like a huge rash/burn. Cortizone cream helped. Hope the same thing doesnt happen to you.
  • madjas4
    madjas4 Member Posts: 12
    Hey there girlfriend!
    Ask your ong. nurse if aloe gel would help you. My first three chemo treatments gave me something like that in a different spot. Let's just say I went though a 15 lbs. of ice to cool myself. My ong said he had never heard of that happening. I think if I had ran though a forest I could have set it on fire. I think most ladies are "to much of a lady" to talk about what I called hot crouch. The best of luck to you. And all my prayers.
    Sandy
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    madjas4 said:

Hey there girlfriend!
    Ask your ong. nurse if aloe gel would help you. My first three chemo treatments gave me something like that in a different spot. Let's just say I went though a 15 lbs. of ice to cool myself. My ong said he had never heard of that happening. I think if I had ran though a forest I could have set it on fire. I think most ladies are "to much of a lady" to talk about what I called hot crouch. The best of luck to you. And all my prayers.
    Sandy

I had taxol and got the red
    I had taxol and got the red rash on my face, I did nto get it on hands and feet, but I did get the neuropathy yay!!!!!! I used a gentle cream on my face and they said I could use hydrocortisone on my face. By this time I did not have enough faith in my NP to do it (long story). I hope this is temporary.
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Heather,
    I had taxotere too. However, I didn't get any redness on my hands. Got a red rash on my face and boob. I think mine was from the steroids though. Hope it clears up. Hugs, Jean
  • Evoling_butterfly
    Evoling_butterfly Member Posts: 57
    ME
    I had my first(taxotere) dose last Friday 9/24/10 and last week I couldn't walk cause burning at the bottom of my feet. My neck was inflammed...misery...I had problems all over my body every where.... They say after the chemo these side effects will go away..well I have an aunt who still have pains in her feet and it's been over 6 months since they stopped her treatment...Anyway, I'm going to tell my doctor no more let's move on to the surgery and radiation..... But on a positive note I used Cortizone 10 ointment and it did wanders for my neck...Nothing but time and staying off my feet help me feet...They don't burn now/taday but are just a little sore.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Hi Heather
    sorry you're having the pain and redness in your hands. I have been getting Taxotere/Cytoxan for my chemo cocktail. So far 3 treatments. #4 is next Tuesday. I have not experienced any redness. Before & 2 days after chemo I take Dexadron (steroid). The day of I take Emend and they give me Benadryl, fluids and antiemetic via iv before the chemo. I do however, get acne 8 days after chemo and I'm very bloated. I do think this is from the steroid. I hope your onco nurse can help with suggestions.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Hi Heather
    sorry you're having the pain and redness in your hands. I have been getting Taxotere/Cytoxan for my chemo cocktail. So far 3 treatments. #4 is next Tuesday. I have not experienced any redness. Before & 2 days after chemo I take Dexadron (steroid). The day of I take Emend and they give me Benadryl, fluids and antiemetic via iv before the chemo. I do however, get acne 8 days after chemo and I'm very bloated. I do think this is from the steroid. I hope your onco nurse can help with suggestions.
    {{hugs}} Char

Know the feeling
    Red hands, feet. I had no strength in my hands. I would have to get my 8 year old to open things for me. My hands were numb, so I didn't know how hard I was grasping something. If your finger tips start splitting or your skin starts peeling as if you have a sunburn tell your dr. immediatly. My feet were the same way, but for me it felt better to walk than to sit.

"And this to shall pass."
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member

Know the feeling
    Red hands, feet. I had no strength in my hands. I would have to get my 8 year old to open things for me. My hands were numb, so I didn't know how hard I was grasping something. If your finger tips start splitting or your skin starts peeling as if you have a sunburn tell your dr. immediatly. My feet were the same way, but for me it felt better to walk than to sit.

"And this to shall pass."

See my expressions pictures
    Yep, got it - big time. First two times I developed a cellulitis in my right palm and had to be on antibiotics, but also had redness in my left palm. Then it all peels off, layer by layer. Lovely. Third cycle it extended from just above my elbows to knuckles. This last cycle (4), onc reduced Taxotere dose 20% and kept me on steroids for 10 days. So far so good (been off steroids for 2 days now). Be sure and report this side effect.

It ain't fun.

Suzanne
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003

See my expressions pictures
    Yep, got it - big time. First two times I developed a cellulitis in my right palm and had to be on antibiotics, but also had redness in my left palm. Then it all peels off, layer by layer. Lovely. Third cycle it extended from just above my elbows to knuckles. This last cycle (4), onc reduced Taxotere dose 20% and kept me on steroids for 10 days. So far so good (been off steroids for 2 days now). Be sure and report this side effect.

It ain't fun.

Suzanne

This is called Hand and foot
    This is called Hand and foot syndrome, and it is a side effect of chemo. You can google it and it will come up, I had it on my feet and it was very uncomfortable to walk. I use a foot cream called Udderly Smooth, but I heard that Aloe works really well.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    meena1 said:

This is called Hand and foot
    This is called Hand and foot syndrome, and it is a side effect of chemo. You can google it and it will come up, I had it on my feet and it was very uncomfortable to walk. I use a foot cream called Udderly Smooth, but I heard that Aloe works really well.

blood blisters on both bottom of feet, and between fingers
    while on taxotere. Excellent suggestion made by meena 1 .. 'udderly smooth' helped, aloe aloe vera also helped .. I just used 1 until it didn't work so much, then switched ..

I also suffer at times from what is called .. Foot in Mouth, dis-order - haha!

Strength and Courage:

Vicki Sam
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    VickiSam said:

blood blisters on both bottom of feet, and between fingers
    while on taxotere. Excellent suggestion made by meena 1 .. 'udderly smooth' helped, aloe aloe vera also helped .. I just used 1 until it didn't work so much, then switched ..

I also suffer at times from what is called .. Foot in Mouth, dis-order - haha!

Strength and Courage:

Vicki Sam

thanks to all for your
    thanks to all for your input. it is starting on the bottoms of my heels also, my onc has called in a steroid for me to take, but i think im also going to get some cream to put on. this chemo just doesn't let up, does it? im trying not to complain too much though - this crappy chemo is going to help me be around much longer. i'm turning 35 this sunday. I've been looking forward to this birthday in particular (date 10-10-10, i was born at 10:09 in the morning) ever since last year - im not one who hates having birthdays, i LOVE them! we always have a party, my parents spoil me, my girls make me pretty cards & gifts, tim spoils me. I never thought i'd be spending my special "golden birthday" recovering from chemo.
    We have something else in common Vicki Sam - i too suffer from foot in mouth disorder...
    *hugs*
    heather
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631

thanks to all for your
    thanks to all for your input. it is starting on the bottoms of my heels also, my onc has called in a steroid for me to take, but i think im also going to get some cream to put on. this chemo just doesn't let up, does it? im trying not to complain too much though - this crappy chemo is going to help me be around much longer. i'm turning 35 this sunday. I've been looking forward to this birthday in particular (date 10-10-10, i was born at 10:09 in the morning) ever since last year - im not one who hates having birthdays, i LOVE them! we always have a party, my parents spoil me, my girls make me pretty cards & gifts, tim spoils me. I never thought i'd be spending my special "golden birthday" recovering from chemo.
    We have something else in common Vicki Sam - i too suffer from foot in mouth disorder...
    *hugs*
    heather

Heather
    I hope the cream and the steroid script help. As I said earlier I take Dexadron the day before and 2 days after and I've not had any problems with my hands or my feet. Sending healing thoughts your way. I hope you're feeling better by Sunday so you can enjoy your birthday.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Heather
    I hope the cream and the steroid script help. As I said earlier I take Dexadron the day before and 2 days after and I've not had any problems with my hands or my feet. Sending healing thoughts your way. I hope you're feeling better by Sunday so you can enjoy your birthday.
    {{hugs}} Char

10-10-10, 10:10 (oops, 10:09)
    Wow, that's a lot of tens! Happy birthday this Sunday, ENJOY!

Sorry you're having the side effects. This Friday will be my 8th infusion of Taxotere. I'm still having some neuropathy in my fingers and toes (it started when I was on Taxol) but no particular rash or redness. On Taxol I had problems with my nail beds but on Taxotere, I'm having VERY dry finger tips. They have had several deep cracks especially on the corners near the nails. OUCH!

Like you, I try to look at the big picture and believe that the chemo is doing a job on the cancer and that the side effects will pass.

Best wishes.

Marsha
  • Kathy09
    Kathy09 Member Posts: 99
    side effects
    yes I had the same thing with hands, I could unbuckle my seatbelt. It just got worse went into my eyes watering and nails falling off. I had my onc cut down my dose. It has been a year and my nails are still awfull looking. I had to worst pain start in thumbs and move onto other fingers. It is funny my thum and first two fingers are the worst on both hands were most of the pain started. my eyelashes or brows never came back. its nasty stuff.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Kathy09 said:

side effects
    yes I had the same thing with hands, I could unbuckle my seatbelt. It just got worse went into my eyes watering and nails falling off. I had my onc cut down my dose. It has been a year and my nails are still awfull looking. I had to worst pain start in thumbs and move onto other fingers. It is funny my thum and first two fingers are the worst on both hands were most of the pain started. my eyelashes or brows never came back. its nasty stuff.

wow Kathy thats alot, I
    wow Kathy thats alot, I still have PN but it is slowly getting better, my eyelashes and brows fell out once after chemo but now seem to be intact. Heather glad they had something that may help you. I know how you feel I had my big 5-0 on chemo was in bed the whole day. then my husband gave me a blanket for it. not too thrilled, I paid myself back later lol!