HELP!!!!

marines911
marines911 Member Posts: 68
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My wife has been vomiting for the past 2 days and yet her pain has taken over her entire body, it seems that the increase in pain medication is not helping, yet it is like her body can't take that much medication. I called ONC and asked her if I should take my wife to ER, and she said "YES," but my wife does not want to go and tells me that she is feeling better now that she took her anti-nausea before taking her oxycotin, but the real reason is she is afraid that if she goes into the hospital she will not come out. My wife also reminded me that she has an appointment with ONC tomorrow morning and that we should wait.

What do I do?!!! She is already upset that I called the ONC and I don't want to make matters worse by trying to force her to go.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• pinkflutterby
    pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member
    can she hold anything down?
    can she hold anything down? Any liquids at all would help! I have been sick like that and they put me in a iv drip of liquids and it was amazing how better I felt and how quick it worked. I'd push liquids tonight and get her to her onc first thing in the am. I understand all to well how awful and scary the hospital can be. The pain meds can also make her sick is she is not eating with them, they do that do me.

Keep us posted!

(((hugsss to her))) and of course to you too!
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

can she hold anything down?
    can she hold anything down? Any liquids at all would help! I have been sick like that and they put me in a iv drip of liquids and it was amazing how better I felt and how quick it worked. I'd push liquids tonight and get her to her onc first thing in the am. I understand all to well how awful and scary the hospital can be. The pain meds can also make her sick is she is not eating with them, they do that do me.

Keep us posted!

(((hugsss to her))) and of course to you too!

I am sorry
    emergency room is not the best place to be. I agree with Libby liquid is critical, food is not. If she can hold liquids like water, herbal tea, ginger it should be ok until tomorrow morning. Dehydration is dangerous. I usually use straw to drink slow when I am having a vomiting problems.
    Hugs
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    So sorry
    that both of you have to go through this awful time.

There are so many things to consider -

Has your wife's vomiting gotten any better at all? Has she been able to keep any liquids down? Does she have any strength? Maybe she is actually getting better, but of course dehydration can be very serious.

It could be that your wife's doctor is being extra-cautious, or it could be that she really believes your wife needs immediate care. It's just so hard to say from a distance, and without being a doctor of course.

Another thing to consider is how important it is for your wife to have a good frame of mind and to feel that you are supporting her.

I wish I could tell you what to do, but I don't have that answer for you. My heart goes out to you. I just don't have the words to tell you how much I wish I could be of more help.

I can tell you that I'll be praying for you and your wife, and hope she is able to get this resolved with your help.

Cindy
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

So sorry
    that both of you have to go through this awful time.

There are so many things to consider -

Has your wife's vomiting gotten any better at all? Has she been able to keep any liquids down? Does she have any strength? Maybe she is actually getting better, but of course dehydration can be very serious.

It could be that your wife's doctor is being extra-cautious, or it could be that she really believes your wife needs immediate care. It's just so hard to say from a distance, and without being a doctor of course.

Another thing to consider is how important it is for your wife to have a good frame of mind and to feel that you are supporting her.

I wish I could tell you what to do, but I don't have that answer for you. My heart goes out to you. I just don't have the words to tell you how much I wish I could be of more help.

I can tell you that I'll be praying for you and your wife, and hope she is able to get this resolved with your help.

Cindy

her electrolytes could be
    her electrolytes could be altered though, I wasnt really eating and although I drank, I got very quickly depleted, she needs to drink a fair amount to keep ahead and she has already been behind. I was very weak and I went to be checked out, and my liver tests were really high, my potassium low, my white blood count low and I was in the hospital for 4 days. I know that I felt so lousy that I lost perspective on how sick I really was. And I am a nurse.My husband said he was about to make me go, but I am not sure he would have if I had refused. We think about you guys so much, just want your wife to be stable, so she can continue her fight, she doesnt need to get weaker. If you do take her make sure she gets put separate from the other patients so she doesnt catch anything. When I went in, I was with everyone, then my WBC came back, and I was whipped into a private room with a mask on , and then everyone had to wear masks around me. lots of love Hugs
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    This happened to me once.
    The medication isn't working because she is vomiting it back up before it can work. When a person vomits it causes stress on the body which is painful. If she is dehydrated, more than likely she is, this also can cause pain. Once she recieves fluids she will feel alot better.
    She needs iv fluids her electrolytes are down.
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member

This happened to me once.
    The medication isn't working because she is vomiting it back up before it can work. When a person vomits it causes stress on the body which is painful. If she is dehydrated, more than likely she is, this also can cause pain. Once she recieves fluids she will feel alot better.
    She needs iv fluids her electrolytes are down.

If she still refuses to go
    If she still refuses to go to the ER and is still vomiting have her suck on small ice chips. Take a hammer to the ice cubes to get them small. Have them melt in her month. By the time the water hits her stomach most of it's absorbed by her body and it'll stay down.
    My mother did this for me when I had the flu as a kid and was vomiting for 7 hours. It worked for me so I hope it works for your wife.

I got dehydrated during chemo and never felt so bad in my life. Ended up getting 1 1/2 litters of fluid and felt sooo much better.
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Nothing to add here but my prayers
    I think the ladies are right and the real problem is dehydration. I've never been any good at TELLING Moopy what she should to, so I empathize. But I do believe the oncologist is right and the ER is the right move. My heart goes out to you both, and I pray that your wife's pain passes so that she can resume her fight.

God Bless,
    Joe
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Gosh I'm so sorry
    You got some good advice. Keep her hydrated and it's a good thing you go see the doctor first thing in the morning.

Let us know how's she's doing. I'm keeping you both in prayer.

Sylvia
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}
    I'm so sorry for you and your wife. you have gotten some good advise. Keep her hydrated as much as you can. Being dehydrated will make things worse. Has she been able to stop vomiting? Is she still eating anything? Crackers, toast, anything bland that will soak up the acid in her stomach will help. If her stomach has calmed down try some thing with electrolytes in it. Maybe get some Gator aid and dilute it with water. So it wont make her sick again. If you can get her feeling a little better she will be able to take a little more. Once you get it under control she will feel better. please let us know how it goes at the Dr today. So worried Kay,
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    First of all, bless your
    First of all, bless your heart for taking such good care of your wife!! Second, I think the ice chips is a good idea, it will keep her hydrated and dehydration will add to the pain. My prayers are with you and your wife so that she can get past this and continue her fight. Keep the faith and keep us updated!!
    God Bless,
    Kari
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    Marines, hope your wife is
    Marines, hope your wife is doing better today after seeing the doctor. Please keep us updated. Sending her and you prayers for strength.

Lupe
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Sending thoughts & prayers
    Sending thoughts & prayers to you and your wife. Hopefully, she is drinking. Keep us posted.
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Jean 0609 said:

Sending thoughts & prayers
    Sending thoughts & prayers to you and your wife. Hopefully, she is drinking. Keep us posted.

All of the ladies here gave
    All of the ladies here gave really good advice. God bless and please keep us posted.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

All of the ladies here gave
    All of the ladies here gave really good advice. God bless and please keep us posted.

Marines, When I was sick I
    Marines, When I was sick I was told to just drink a tablespoon of coke or ginger ale ( not diet )stir the carbonation out so it flat every 15 minutes for an hour. This did settle the stomach. Sending prayers your way. By the way Love the uniform, my husband is a retired Marine.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Kat11 said:

Marines, When I was sick I
    Marines, When I was sick I was told to just drink a tablespoon of coke or ginger ale ( not diet )stir the carbonation out so it flat every 15 minutes for an hour. This did settle the stomach. Sending prayers your way. By the way Love the uniform, my husband is a retired Marine.

How are things today?

How are things today?
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Aortus said:

Nothing to add here but my prayers
    I think the ladies are right and the real problem is dehydration. I've never been any good at TELLING Moopy what she should to, so I empathize. But I do believe the oncologist is right and the ER is the right move. My heart goes out to you both, and I pray that your wife's pain passes so that she can resume her fight.

God Bless,
    Joe

I am so sorry Marine.
    I am so sorry Marine. Dehydration can really mess you up. Please be sure she drinks lots of water to stay hydrated. Sending you hugs and prayers!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    carkris said:

How are things today?

How are things today?

Yes .. How are things today, Thomas?
    Praying ... and praying some more.

Strength and Courage:

Vicki Sam