Gout?

CypressCynthia
CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Do I remember reading that someone on zometa had gout? My right big toe is killing me and I am not sure what that is about?? I have to work tomorrow, but, if it persists, will call my primary on Tuesday. It seems unlikely that I would get gout because I don't drink, rarely eat meat, am not overweight, but then, EVERYTHING I get seems unlikely...lol. I don't really see any difference in the toe, but the joint is so tender and it throbs from time to time--I can't think what else this would be?

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    toenail ok, not ingrown. do
    toenail ok, not ingrown. do you remember stubbing it at all? doesnt sound like you would be at risk for gout, is it a side effect of any meds you are on?
  • CypressCynthia
    carkris said:

toenail ok, not ingrown. do
    toenail ok, not ingrown. do you remember stubbing it at all? doesnt sound like you would be at risk for gout, is it a side effect of any meds you are on?

Toenail is fine--the pain is
    Toenail is fine--the pain is in the big joint between my foot and the big toe. I think that someone here said something about zometa causing gout sometimes. It could also be arthritis but it feels different from my other typical aches. Oh and I did not stub it. It just started hurting last night at work.
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Gout
    OK, I will raise my hand, I am guilty of having gout. Gout in women is nothing like gout in men. Gout in women effects soft tissue around just about all joints. Yes, it is painful and annoying. You should see you physician and be checked for gout. The longer you wait and older you are takes longer for you body to break down the urimic crystals. Once crystals are broken down you will be on meds the rest of your life. Gout never goes away and isn't caused by food. But you will have to limit or eliminate certain foods from your diet, i.e. sea food that turns red during cooking (crab, shrimp, salmon). Just think you could be in the 5% of women who get gout.
  • CypressCynthia

Gout
    OK, I will raise my hand, I am guilty of having gout. Gout in women is nothing like gout in men. Gout in women effects soft tissue around just about all joints. Yes, it is painful and annoying. You should see you physician and be checked for gout. The longer you wait and older you are takes longer for you body to break down the urimic crystals. Once crystals are broken down you will be on meds the rest of your life. Gout never goes away and isn't caused by food. But you will have to limit or eliminate certain foods from your diet, i.e. sea food that turns red during cooking (crab, shrimp, salmon). Just think you could be in the 5% of women who get gout.

Thanks for the info. My toe
    Thanks for the info. My toe is feeling better after 2 aleve last night. I will see my doc if it happens again, but, of course, I'm off to work today and will be on my feet for 12 hrs at least...lol, what's a girl to do?
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462

Thanks for the info. My toe
    Thanks for the info. My toe is feeling better after 2 aleve last night. I will see my doc if it happens again, but, of course, I'm off to work today and will be on my feet for 12 hrs at least...lol, what's a girl to do?

Glad your toe is feeling better.
    Hope it doesn't bother you too much on your long day.