October Is Here Again

2»

Comments

• fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member

perspective
    I have read and re-read all of the comments and now have some of my own. The initial thought that comes to mind is perspective - we are all facing this from different points of view. I do not disregard anyone's feelings.

As for the month of October and all the pink ribbons and products - I LOVE IT. To me it is a little like the display of American flags and patriotic slogans after 9/11 - a unity of millions - what more could we ask for? If consumers buy products whose companies are making donations from sales, what's wrong with that? The people themselves may never have made a donation.

For those of you who are directly affected by this disease, I can hardly believe when you say that you would rather not have the constant reminder of breast cancer. I am Stage IV and constantly aware that I will never be cured, can only hope that my cancer can be "managed" for a long time to come. It takes no reminders for me but I love the fact that they're out there for the future.

When you're LIVING with Stage IV, it is obviously a different perspective from those with lesser Stages, grades, or types of cancer, though I take NO CANCER lightly! Every now and then, I struggle to stay positive and keep the hopeful outlook that I have most of the time. For you there is a lot of hope. Many of you will never have to face this again, but unfortunately, many will. If you were one of those, would you not accept a new treatment to save your life? One that may be discovered through funding raised by Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Komen "Races", or the ACS "Relays".

A "real cure" will NOT likely be found in my lifetime, but I have a daughter, son, nieces, and nephews, (not to mention probable future grandchildren) that I love and care deeply about. My greatest hopes involve them, that none of them will ever be affected by this devastating disease.

Then there's the perspective on Herceptin. I can speak "first hand" on the subject. While there is great promise for this targeted therapy, I am a prime example that it DID NOT WORK ALONE. In combination with a traditional chemo as the first line of treatment for me, it worked well with significant shrinkage of all of my tumors in all the different locations. But, when used alone it took a very short time (less than 2 months) for the tumors to begin rapid growth again. I'm still receiving it (because it attacks in a different way) along with another traditional chemo drug. This statement is not meant to scare or diminish hope for anyone. As an extended treatment for those who are HER2+ who've had surgery to remove their cancer, it DOES SEEM to be a wonderful advancement to stop a recurrence for many. Perhaps research can continue to improve on this.

What I'm posting here is not meant to be a personal pity party - it's meant to make a statement that much more research is needed and it must be kept in the limelight. Just last week I posted about the local Komen Race and the overwhelming feelings of unity, hope, and encouragement associated with it. If you've not been to one of these events, I would strongly urge you to do so.

LET THE PINK FLY!

Marsha

Marsha,
    I hope that I did

Marsha,
    I hope that I did not come off like I felt we shouldn't have a breast cancer awareness month. I feel it is vital to keep people aware and to find and fund a cure. I also hope I didn't sound like I was minimalizing anyone's cancer journey especially those facing a Stage IV. I don't ever feel that anyone is having a personal pity party. Cancer sucks and it certainly is way more of a hard row for those that are receiving treatments to simply keep it at bay.
    I think that there are as many views on Pink October as there are gals and guys on this site and each is valid and is true for that person. We were watching a football game and someone asked why were the players wearing pink mouthguards, gloves etc. So if wearing pink and selling pink gets one person in to get their mammograms or to donate cash for a cure then Breast cancer awareness month is a success.
    I want to say that all of you through all the time I have been here have been supportive, informative and are a part of my heart.
    Stef
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    RE said:

Closer than you may think
    SIROD,

I agree the pinkness can sometimes be daunting, but it can also be uplifting that we who fight to survive do not fight alone. I for one have been dealing with breast cancer since I was 17 (I am 53) and know a thing or two about getting closer to a cure. I do not pretend to know that the cure is around the corner but it is closer than it was in 75 when my mom got it. All the research generated from all the funds raised and donated have resulted in better care. Chemo today is far more gentle than it was for my mother, I know I took her to her infusions and I tended to her afterward's. I myself have endured 28 chemo's and I can attest to the fact that not one was ever as rough on me as her's were on her. I also saw her chest after two mastectomies, they gutted her chest nothing like what we have done today. We have her and others like her who endured a more barbaric treatment so that doctor's could learn as they go much like is done with many illnesses. Developing a cure does not have to mean the illness no longer exists, it can also mean that once one gets cancer there is a treatment that will arrest it so that one can continue to live life with quality and dignity.

My daughter's hope for the cure and these other's positive thoughts are what keep many going, I do not see it as a "pink parade" I see it rather as looking at it with eyes that see the glass half full rather than the glass half empty. It is the belief that with all the research that is done we inch closer to arresting this illness. Below is a link that speaks well to the idea that we are certainly heading in the direction of arresting cancer if not curing it all together. I have lost my Mom, Sister, Sister In-Law and two Brother In-Law's to cancer and I myself have battled it three times. I choose to believe because of evidence of better treatment available today and because of articles like the one below that hope that there is a cure on the horizon is indeed hope not unfounded. I wish you well and truly do hope your cancer battle is one of triumph!

(¯`v´¯)
    .`*.¸.*RE´

DESTROY CANCER CELLS VIA LASER DRUG ACTIVATION

Curing Diseases

In all of history, mankind has cured but one disease and that is “Small Pox” a disease that is 3000 years old. Two places in the world hold as safe keeping the antidote. I believe, one is in Atlanta. We often think that we cured many diseases. We, in time find a different more virulent version that come back. TB, infections to name just a few. Think of the bedbugs once thought to be eliminated and here they are back! Though bedbugs are not a disease, a present day example of how "we" believe that once eradicated, it's forever. Don’t take my word for it, read up on it.

With that in mind, finding a “cure” for anything is a hope. I do believe that hope is the thing with feathers that ..... There is little doubt that we have made some progress with breast cancer options available today versus 40 years ago.

Tamoxifen was discovered to be a morning after pill in rats when Arthur Walpole was testing this drug in 1962. Results were not the same in humans. “At his suggestion, Mary Cole of the Christie Hospital in Manchester England began clinical trials on advance breast cancer patients with ER tumor cells.” (Page 184, Bathsheba’s Breast) The rest as we might say is history. When I was diagnose, only Tamo, Chemo and Rads were available. For me, AI have kept me around for 11 more years and still counting. However, so many of my friends were not so lucky. In fact most of those I knew on this journey have gone.

If you go to the following web page you will find many clinical trials. How many of these make it? All over the world, scientist are trying to find a cure. I firmly believe. Twelve years ago, I was very excited about Dr. Judah Folkman’s work on angiogenesis. I thought he was really on to something. He was. Avastin is questionable now in breast cancer. Time has thought me not to jump with joy with each possibility.

http://www.cancer.gov/search/ResultsClinicalTrials.aspx?protocolsearchid=8045673

Yes, for me the pink hype is more of a money maker for many, including Chen’s pink carton for her eggs. I would love each organization to break down the actual figures of what is actually given to the labs. The results of those grants from each scientist, then I might believe that the glass is half full.

Pink October is about Survivorship. Many of us won’t survive. For those of us, who won’t and that goes for about 30% of those Racing for the Cure. We should be acknowledge, that we are living with metastasis. How many of those races make a point of mentioning us? How many of them state, over 40,000 men and women die from breast cancer each year? They don't mention us do they? We are the downers!

It just seems with every pink ribbon, t-shirt, hat, sunglasses, or pink carton of eggs that the world thinks that the Breast Cancer is just around the corner. It isn’t, not in my life time and more than likely not in yours either.

The reason people object to my post is I am not a cheerleader. After 16 years, losings so many friends, reading every book on breast cancer, being on online forums since 1997, I can’t be. I really know we aren’t close, for breast cancer will never have one cure, but each type will have to have it’s own.

SIROD

My posts are my opinions, you don't have to like them, you don't have to agree with them. I am just reminding people, we aren't even close of having a cure. When they figure out before puberty who will develop breast cancer, then I will believe that they are getting close.
  • SIROD

perspective
    I have read and re-read all of the comments and now have some of my own. The initial thought that comes to mind is perspective - we are all facing this from different points of view. I do not disregard anyone's feelings.

As for the month of October and all the pink ribbons and products - I LOVE IT. To me it is a little like the display of American flags and patriotic slogans after 9/11 - a unity of millions - what more could we ask for? If consumers buy products whose companies are making donations from sales, what's wrong with that? The people themselves may never have made a donation.

For those of you who are directly affected by this disease, I can hardly believe when you say that you would rather not have the constant reminder of breast cancer. I am Stage IV and constantly aware that I will never be cured, can only hope that my cancer can be "managed" for a long time to come. It takes no reminders for me but I love the fact that they're out there for the future.

When you're LIVING with Stage IV, it is obviously a different perspective from those with lesser Stages, grades, or types of cancer, though I take NO CANCER lightly! Every now and then, I struggle to stay positive and keep the hopeful outlook that I have most of the time. For you there is a lot of hope. Many of you will never have to face this again, but unfortunately, many will. If you were one of those, would you not accept a new treatment to save your life? One that may be discovered through funding raised by Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Komen "Races", or the ACS "Relays".

A "real cure" will NOT likely be found in my lifetime, but I have a daughter, son, nieces, and nephews, (not to mention probable future grandchildren) that I love and care deeply about. My greatest hopes involve them, that none of them will ever be affected by this devastating disease.

Then there's the perspective on Herceptin. I can speak "first hand" on the subject. While there is great promise for this targeted therapy, I am a prime example that it DID NOT WORK ALONE. In combination with a traditional chemo as the first line of treatment for me, it worked well with significant shrinkage of all of my tumors in all the different locations. But, when used alone it took a very short time (less than 2 months) for the tumors to begin rapid growth again. I'm still receiving it (because it attacks in a different way) along with another traditional chemo drug. This statement is not meant to scare or diminish hope for anyone. As an extended treatment for those who are HER2+ who've had surgery to remove their cancer, it DOES SEEM to be a wonderful advancement to stop a recurrence for many. Perhaps research can continue to improve on this.

What I'm posting here is not meant to be a personal pity party - it's meant to make a statement that much more research is needed and it must be kept in the limelight. Just last week I posted about the local Komen Race and the overwhelming feelings of unity, hope, and encouragement associated with it. If you've not been to one of these events, I would strongly urge you to do so.

LET THE PINK FLY!

Marsha

For Marsha
    Marsha, I continue to read your postings. Thinking of you and wishing you the best on this journey.

Progress is slow, but one never knows when a discovery will happen. Dr. Walpole with his Tamoxifen, Dr. Folkman with Avastin, Dr. Einhorn with Cisplatin and testicular cancer (it went from a killer to curing even those with metastatic involvement, Lance Armstrong).

I really want Pink October to share with us, we are still here after all. If anything, a brigade should head the pink parade. Off my soapbox!

Sirod
  • SIROD

Sirod
    I agree with you, but that is why we have to keep fighting, keep donating, and continue to speak out about our disease. I disagree that October and the pinkness will never help. Call me naive, but I am alive after battling this disease for 23 yrs (now Stage 4). I would not have made it 5 years without tamoxifen. New drugs and new research can only be a good thing. And I prefer to have hope, stay pink, and keep fighting.

Awareness
    I know Cypress Cynthhia. Read my reply to Marsha.

You and I are the lucky ones, for us it may after all be chronic. When it recurred for the 3rd time in 2008, I went back to corresponding with a woman (met online) who was 33 years out in dx. She did die to my total chagrin. She would be the first to say she saw her kids grow up and became a grandmother.

Pink Month means that when you see the sea of pink survivors, it gives the impression, that the cure must be close. Awareness it what I want. Now I am really off the soapbox.

SIROD
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    SIROD said:

Awareness

You and I are the lucky ones, for us it may after all be chronic. When it recurred for the 3rd time in 2008, I went back to corresponding with a woman (met online) who was 33 years out in dx. She did die to my total chagrin. She would be the first to say she saw her kids grow up and became a grandmother.

Pink Month means that when you see the sea of pink survivors, it gives the impression, that the cure must be close. Awareness it what I want. Now I am really off the soapbox.

SIROD

Re and ladies I guess I missed this wonderful discussion.
    Re your daughter word are touching and very graceful. Your family have been fighting with this disease through generations and hopefully will not pass it.
    As for cure, I would prefer prevention from primary and recurrence. Very little attention have been paid for to this matter. Do we know: WHY? Can we avoid it from coming back?
    Congratulations everyone - another year to be aware, donate, and celebrate!!!
    New Flower
  • SIROD
    chenheart said:

SIROD~ it is so obvious that
    SIROD~ it is so obvious that you are not a fan of October!! I think that you may perhaps also misunderstand the upbeat attitude you find here on the boards regarding it~ I dare say no one has said that The Cure is so close that we can reach out and take hold of it. After all, October is BC AWARENESS month...a big difference from saying we will be forver cured in October! Being aware is important~ and no doubt Pink was chosen as the representative color as generally, BC is a female disease ( with absolutely NO disrespect to the hero- men who are also touched by the BC beast) and Pink, of course is a "girl color".

I am not wild about all things pink in October~ my sweet Reggie brought home a dozen eggs and the carton was pink! Bless his heart~ he is definitely AWARE of the toll BC takes on families, and his love for me made him chose pink egg cartons! I inwardly groaned, but there is no way I would dampen his enthusiasm for also being AWARE.

I, unlike you, LOVE October! Why? Certainly not because I can get Pink ribboned dog food, or toilet paper, or spatulas or egg cartons. I love October because every October I see means I am still alive! I am fighting a recurrance, I am "unnerved" more than afraid, I am so thankful that the treatments I got 8 years ago kept the beast at bay for so long, and I am also hopeful that the treatment I am having NOW will be even better than what was almost a decade ago. If it means I see another October~ I am ready to fall into a sea of pink! And my Reggie would jump in with me, holding my hand! I know I am not alone in that sentiment. Which in no way makes us gullible, or ignorant about statistics.

We here on the boards are well informed women, we are not fools or foolish. We ask, we read, we post, we question. But we also, for the most part HOPE. Awareness, coupled with treatment, bound together with HOPE...now that is powerful stuff.

Hopeful Hugs,
    Chen♥

Pink!
    Chen,

I did get a kick reading about your husband and the pink egg carton. I know people mean well with the pink. I received enough of the pink stuff over the years. I always would smile and thank them politely.

Now, I am afraid, I do go on a soapbox about pink. It was never on my list of favorite colors. When I reached for my favorite yogurt and it had a pink cover with a ribbon. I left it, bought something else.

Glad you are doing well and may you have all good reports. I know that no one on the board is gullibule and etc. I just wish PINK October would give us some press. Make them aware of us. The way I wanted Relay for life to give us our own walk around the park, be ahead of the pink parade with a dark shirt on Komen's race for a cure. Stage IV needs to have it's day in the sun too.

Best to you,

SIROD
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    SIROD said:

Awareness

SIROD

this topic
    This topic has been one of the most interesting on this board in a long time. Everyone who has posted here has struck a chord with me in something they said. That's why I don't minimize any individual feelings. I have taken NO OFFENSE to anything written.

I am all for keeping the awareness of breast cancer in the forefront. Obviously, so much more needs to be done in the way of research! About your feelings SIROD, I agree. As good as the feelings were that came from participating in the Komen Race, I will tell you that I was a bit upset when I saw an interview on TV that night. The lady is a 15 year survivor who said the message she would like to convey is "that cancer is not the big, bad, ugly 'C' word that it once was". YES IT IS! After seeing this, I thought the same way as you - they never once mentioned those who continue to die from this disease, nor the ones fighting Stage IV who will never be cured. There should be an agenda at these functions to allow these stories to be heard. That would make it an even better event to promote real awareness. Still, I think it is a good thing (though a little deceiving) to promote a general feeling of hope and encouragement.

On Friday at chemo (my 32nd consecutive Friday) I sat next to a gentleman who was having his final chemo before going to Indianapolis to have a "bone marrow transplant". It will be sometime in the next 3 weeks. I (stupidly) asked who his donar was and he said there is no donar, they will use his own blood to do this. First he will have a much larger port implanted and everything will go through it. The process involves freezing his blood but there is no surgery. It will take three days to complete. They expect him to not feel well for a couple of weeks but after that to return to normal. He never thought he would qualify for this because he is 70, has type 2 diabetis, and even had a "mini" stroke a couple of years ago. It was caught early through a check-up that included bloodwork. The last person I knew who had cancer in the bone marrow had to go to Texas with a close relative for the transplant. It was agonizing for both the recipient and the donar. Then it didn't work and the patient died a short time later. Look how far this has come! That is my hope for treating and perhaps even curing breast cancer!

Let the work and research continue. Best wishes to all.

Marsha