good report, but now have a concern

leabow
leabow Member Posts: 28
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
April 23, 2010 had mastectomy, Stage 1, 1.8 cm. Low grade, node negative, Her2 negative ER positive, Oncotype DX score is 6. Thought I had had a good prognosis. Had a routine CT scan on my chest and stomach last week and my oncologist told me that there was some tiny spots on my liver, but he did not think it was cancer and it did not look like cancer, but would recheck in 6 months. He did not think it necessary to do a biopsy. What do you think, should I insist on a biopsy or wait my six months?

Comments

• pscheer
    pscheer Member Posts: 56 Member
    I think that if you are
    I think that if you are going to be scared, you should ask the Dr. questions and let him know you need more information to understand why it's ok to go 6 months and not have a biopsy. Just tell him you are worried. Sometimes they only give us enough info to scare us, not on purpose, of course. He could give you more info and explain further why he is taking this approach. If he doesn't make you feel better, get a second opinion. Hopefully, other people will read your post and someone who had the same experience as you will respond and make you feel better.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    pscheer said:

I think that if you are
    I think that if you are going to be scared, you should ask the Dr. questions and let him know you need more information to understand why it's ok to go 6 months and not have a biopsy. Just tell him you are worried. Sometimes they only give us enough info to scare us, not on purpose, of course. He could give you more info and explain further why he is taking this approach. If he doesn't make you feel better, get a second opinion. Hopefully, other people will read your post and someone who had the same experience as you will respond and make you feel better.

pscheer is right you need to
    pscheer is right you need to get more answers to make you feel more comfortable. many "spots" on CT are false positives, little areas we all have on/in our body. But an explanation from your doc is needed.
  • leabow
    leabow Member Posts: 28
    carkris said:

pscheer is right you need to get more answers to make you feel more comfortable. many "spots" on CT are false positives, little areas we all have on/in our body. But an explanation from your doc is needed.

Thanks Pscheer
    It took me a year and 9 months to get my doctor and the radiologists to take my breast lump seriouly. They kept saying that it was a blocked duct. I found it when it was only 4mm. So guess my faith in the medical profession it lacking. Hope every women will pay attention to what her body is telling her.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    carkris said:

If this is bothering you, I
    If this is bothering you, I think you should get more answers from your onco. And, if you feel it necessary, insist on a biopsy. Good luck!

Hugs, Leeza
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    unfortunate
    Unfortunately we often do have to be our own best advocate. Definitely ask your Dr. why he is recommending what he is doing. Write your questions down beforehand while you are able to concentrate, then when you are infront of him, write down his answers so you can remember and think about it. If you can't get the information you need, or if you disagree with him, get a second opinion. You are the one who has to live with the consequences of the decision, so be sure you are satisfied that it is the best one under the circumstances.

Take care of yourself. seof
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    seof said:

unfortunate
    Unfortunately we often do have to be our own best advocate. Definitely ask your Dr. why he is recommending what he is doing. Write your questions down beforehand while you are able to concentrate, then when you are infront of him, write down his answers so you can remember and think about it. If you can't get the information you need, or if you disagree with him, get a second opinion. You are the one who has to live with the consequences of the decision, so be sure you are satisfied that it is the best one under the circumstances.

Take care of yourself. seof

Liver biopsy is a serious procedure
    Talk to your doctor and discuss situation. As you are estrogen positive I am assuming that you are on estrogen blocker, please continue taking Tamoxifen or Arimides.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Liver biopsy is a serious procedure
    Talk to your doctor and discuss situation. As you are estrogen positive I am assuming that you are on estrogen blocker, please continue taking Tamoxifen or Arimides.

New Flower is right, a liver
    New Flower is right, a liver biopsy is serious with complications of bleeding. I think when you speak to your doc you will feel better.