October Is Here Again

RE
RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Here we are in October which of course is Breast Cancer Awareness month, this morning I opened my facebook page to find this notation on my daughters wall:

"October is breast cancer awareness month!! Take a minute to honor those who battled this disease, thinking of my grandma♥ Aunt Sue♥ & Mom♥ miss you yamyam & aunt sue!! Mom I hope you never have to deal with this again!! We are close to a cure!!! Let's all work hard so our daughters won't have to deal with this heartache!!! Fight for a cure!!!!"

Cancer does not just touch those who have it, it also alters the lives of those who witness it.

•☆.•*´¨`*••♥ RE ♥••*´¨`*•.☆•

Comments

• shy violet
    shy violet Member Posts: 167
    AWWW...love, shy

AWWW...love, shy
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Donation and walk
    I donate every October directly to a breast cancer charity that does research. I pick the charity by going to www.charitynavigator.com and then typing in "breast cancer research." I then look at their 3-4 star rated charities closely to see where my money is being spent.

I think it was Chen who said she would rather give directly than to buy the pink products. I often do both, but in Ocober, I'm giving directly to a reputable organization to honor my sisters, who are battling the disease, and for my daughter, who I pray never battles it! Maybe my little donation will help some researcher find a cure for me and my sisters. I can dream!

I am also going to try and do the Komen walk in N.O., but it will really take some schedule juggling. Right now I am scheduled to work that day (Saturday). I am also working Monday. And I work 24 hr shifts. So if I switch and work Sunday, I will be working 48 hrs and I can't do that. Anyway, I am looking for someone to switch both the Sat and the Sun shifts...I'll keep you posted!
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Let us not forget the men!
    Let us not forget that women are not the only ones that multiheads Beast called Breast Cancer attacks. Granted more women are attacked but men are also.
  • RE
    Rague said:

Let us not forget the men!
    Let us not forget that women are not the only ones that multiheads Beast called Breast Cancer attacks. Granted more women are attacked but men are also.

So True
    There are a few men who has in the past frequented this site. I often remind my son to be aware of his chest as you just never know. Three years ago while I was having blood drawn I met a man in his 70's who had had bc twenty years previous, it happens.

•☆.•*´¨`*••♥ RE ♥••*´¨`*•.☆•
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I spoke
    with my daughter today and mentioned it was Breast Cancer Awareness month and I told her about an article with info that was part of our local newspaper. She will be having her first mammo next year. I agree that cancer touches all who have or are witness to.
    {[hugs}} Char
  • roseyposey333
    roseyposey333 Member Posts: 68
    love your daughter RE
    What a great daughter to remember and speak so lovingly about her family. I have been blessed with 3 sons who have been very supportive but daughters can feel their moms pain and joy so good for her.

I was diagnosed almost exactly 6 months ago so this is my first October breast cancer awareness. I am very proud to be part of this unique group of powerful men and women who have found their strength and gotten through this disease or are dealing with it still.

October is also my mom's birthday so I think she would be so proud of me if she were alive today and she would celebrate with me as only a mom can. I am going to try to wear pink every day in honor of all the great stories, happy and sad. It's gonna be hard because I was never really a pink wearer so I have to do some shopping I think, hey it's for the cause right!!! R
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    You have such a wonderful daughter! That was so sweet of her. Hugs, Jean
  • RE
    Jean 0609 said:

You have such a wonderful daughter! That was so sweet of her. Hugs, Jean

:-)
    Thank you Jean and Posey, I agree she is a good kid. She was only 17 and my son was 15 when I was first dx and they grew up knowing my mom had it because my Mom got it when I was 17. I was touched my her words and just wanted to share them.

Take care everyone!

RE
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    RE said:

:-)
    Thank you Jean and Posey, I agree she is a good kid. She was only 17 and my son was 15 when I was first dx and they grew up knowing my mom had it because my Mom got it when I was 17. I was touched my her words and just wanted to share them.

Take care everyone!

RE

Beautiful
    I took her quote and posted it on my facebook page. I think it says it all.
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Hey RE,
    October is my very favorite month of all! I got married in the month of October and ironically, I got diagnosed with Breast Cancer in the month of October. But I don't hold it against the month for that, or what it stands for now...still LOVE it.

Yeah, FIND A CURE ALREADY! HA!

Blessings,

Sylvia
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    We are NOT close to a cure!
    I don't want to throw a wet blanket on your pink parade, but we are NOT even close to a cure! Over 40,000 women and men die from metastatic breast cancer each year. Thirty percent of those runners in Komen's Race for a Cure will be diagnose with metastatic breast cancer and will die.

Breast cancer is not one disease and there won't be ONE cure for it. It is as all on this site should know a disease with many variations.

Even with target therapies for those who are lucky to be ER and PR positive or have the oncogene HER2NEU are only guaranteed that they might have a longer time to live with it. To date, no one is cured. Many whose cancer metastasize, find that their cancer mutated to being "negative". All today's treatments end up failing.

Breast Cancer Awareness should be making aware that we are not even "CLOSE" to a Cure at all. I despise the month of October and all the pinkness! What it should have is Pink with a black edge around it. This will take the hype out of breast cancer being curable.

October and it's pink ribbons everywhere make it look like this disease no longer a killer. It is and we are not even close to winning the battle of PINK.

SIROD
  • pscheer
    pscheer Member Posts: 56 Member
    SIROD said:

I don't want to throw a wet blanket on your pink parade, but we are NOT even close to a cure! Over 40,000 women and men die from metastatic breast cancer each year. Thirty percent of those runners in Komen's Race for a Cure will be diagnose with metastatic breast cancer and will die.

Breast cancer is not one disease and there won't be ONE cure for it. It is as all on this site should know a disease with many variations.

Even with target therapies for those who are lucky to be ER and PR positive or have the oncogene HER2NEU are only guaranteed that they might have a longer time to live with it. To date, no one is cured. Many whose cancer metastasize, find that their cancer mutated to being "negative". All today's treatments end up failing.

Breast Cancer Awareness should be making aware that we are not even "CLOSE" to a Cure at all. I despise the month of October and all the pinkness! What it should have is Pink with a black edge around it. This will take the hype out of breast cancer being curable.

October and it's pink ribbons everywhere make it look like this disease no longer a killer. It is and we are not even close to winning the battle of PINK.

SIROD

It was great to know all
    It was great to know all those runners were out there! The more attention to breast cancer the better, is how I feel. I appreciate the support.
  • RE
    SIROD said:

SIROD

Closer than you may think
    SIROD,

I agree the pinkness can sometimes be daunting, but it can also be uplifting that we who fight to survive do not fight alone. I for one have been dealing with breast cancer since I was 17 (I am 53) and know a thing or two about getting closer to a cure. I do not pretend to know that the cure is around the corner but it is closer than it was in 75 when my mom got it. All the research generated from all the funds raised and donated have resulted in better care. Chemo today is far more gentle than it was for my mother, I know I took her to her infusions and I tended to her afterward's. I myself have endured 28 chemo's and I can attest to the fact that not one was ever as rough on me as her's were on her. I also saw her chest after two mastectomies, they gutted her chest nothing like what we have done today. We have her and others like her who endured a more barbaric treatment so that doctor's could learn as they go much like is done with many illnesses. Developing a cure does not have to mean the illness no longer exists, it can also mean that once one gets cancer there is a treatment that will arrest it so that one can continue to live life with quality and dignity.

My daughter's hope for the cure and these other's positive thoughts are what keep many going, I do not see it as a "pink parade" I see it rather as looking at it with eyes that see the glass half full rather than the glass half empty. It is the belief that with all the research that is done we inch closer to arresting this illness. Below is a link that speaks well to the idea that we are certainly heading in the direction of arresting cancer if not curing it all together. I have lost my Mom, Sister, Sister In-Law and two Brother In-Law's to cancer and I myself have battled it three times. I choose to believe because of evidence of better treatment available today and because of articles like the one below that hope that there is a cure on the horizon is indeed hope not unfounded. I wish you well and truly do hope your cancer battle is one of triumph!

(¯`v´¯)
    .`*.¸.*RE´

DESTROY CANCER CELLS VIA LASER DRUG ACTIVATION
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    SIROD said:

SIROD

SIROD~ it is so obvious that
    SIROD~ it is so obvious that you are not a fan of October!! I think that you may perhaps also misunderstand the upbeat attitude you find here on the boards regarding it~ I dare say no one has said that The Cure is so close that we can reach out and take hold of it. After all, October is BC AWARENESS month...a big difference from saying we will be forver cured in October! Being aware is important~ and no doubt Pink was chosen as the representative color as generally, BC is a female disease ( with absolutely NO disrespect to the hero- men who are also touched by the BC beast) and Pink, of course is a "girl color".

I am not wild about all things pink in October~ my sweet Reggie brought home a dozen eggs and the carton was pink! Bless his heart~ he is definitely AWARE of the toll BC takes on families, and his love for me made him chose pink egg cartons! I inwardly groaned, but there is no way I would dampen his enthusiasm for also being AWARE.

I, unlike you, LOVE October! Why? Certainly not because I can get Pink ribboned dog food, or toilet paper, or spatulas or egg cartons. I love October because every October I see means I am still alive! I am fighting a recurrance, I am "unnerved" more than afraid, I am so thankful that the treatments I got 8 years ago kept the beast at bay for so long, and I am also hopeful that the treatment I am having NOW will be even better than what was almost a decade ago. If it means I see another October~ I am ready to fall into a sea of pink! And my Reggie would jump in with me, holding my hand! I know I am not alone in that sentiment. Which in no way makes us gullible, or ignorant about statistics.

We here on the boards are well informed women, we are not fools or foolish. We ask, we read, we post, we question. But we also, for the most part HOPE. Awareness, coupled with treatment, bound together with HOPE...now that is powerful stuff.

Hopeful Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    chenheart said:

SIROD~ it is so obvious that
    SIROD~ it is so obvious that you are not a fan of October!! I think that you may perhaps also misunderstand the upbeat attitude you find here on the boards regarding it~ I dare say no one has said that The Cure is so close that we can reach out and take hold of it. After all, October is BC AWARENESS month...a big difference from saying we will be forver cured in October! Being aware is important~ and no doubt Pink was chosen as the representative color as generally, BC is a female disease ( with absolutely NO disrespect to the hero- men who are also touched by the BC beast) and Pink, of course is a "girl color".

I am not wild about all things pink in October~ my sweet Reggie brought home a dozen eggs and the carton was pink! Bless his heart~ he is definitely AWARE of the toll BC takes on families, and his love for me made him chose pink egg cartons! I inwardly groaned, but there is no way I would dampen his enthusiasm for also being AWARE.

I, unlike you, LOVE October! Why? Certainly not because I can get Pink ribboned dog food, or toilet paper, or spatulas or egg cartons. I love October because every October I see means I am still alive! I am fighting a recurrance, I am "unnerved" more than afraid, I am so thankful that the treatments I got 8 years ago kept the beast at bay for so long, and I am also hopeful that the treatment I am having NOW will be even better than what was almost a decade ago. If it means I see another October~ I am ready to fall into a sea of pink! And my Reggie would jump in with me, holding my hand! I know I am not alone in that sentiment. Which in no way makes us gullible, or ignorant about statistics.

We here on the boards are well informed women, we are not fools or foolish. We ask, we read, we post, we question. But we also, for the most part HOPE. Awareness, coupled with treatment, bound together with HOPE...now that is powerful stuff.

Hopeful Hugs,
    Chen♥

Re and Chen,
    I was groping for the very words that you each wrote. I know that for many October is an unpleasant reminder of their cancer. On one hand, I hate it because I was diagnosed in October. On the other hand, anything that brings attention to getting screened, donating to find a cure, etc. is great with me. I think that a cure is out there somewhere but it may still be a long time coming. And a cure for one type of breast cancer will not cure others. I and the other ladies here also know that each diagnosis and stage is very different and even each Stage IV is different in how they respond to treatment. I am grateful that my cancer was Stage 1 and no node involvement but I am bothered by the use of the word "lucky" by SirRod. I am sure that the intention was not to make light of my cancer journey or others with this stage but honestly no one is lucky to have any diagnosis of cancer. I know this because, as most of you know, I have had several cancers. Stage 2B grade 3 uterine cancer, Stage 1 bladder cancer, Stage 1 no node involved breast cancer, squamous cell skin cancer and sebaceous skin cancer. I am sure that someone who has any one of these at a greater stage or grade might feel I am lucky. Well, gosh, I wish I didn't have such great luck. I have also been screened for and have Lynch syndrome which ups my chance of colon cancer to 60 to 80 percent and increases my risk for stomach, esophogeus and other cancers. I also have the subset of Muir Torre which increases my chance of more skin cancers. I am grateful that all of the cancers were caught early and that I can be diligent in screening for the other cancers. But lucky, I think not.
    I pray that my cancers never return and that I don't get new ones but the one thing I have learned from the ladies on this board that have recurrences and mets and other primary cancers is how strong they are and how in spite of times when the walls must feel like they are closing in, they deal with this with dignity and courage while still managing to give hope, encouragement and love to the rest of us. I do not assume to know how someone else must feel with their diagnosis and my heart goes out to all with cancers and yes I say an extra prayer for those battling Stage IV but the truth is cancer is ugly, nasty, horrid and scary no matter what type, what grade, what stage. And we need cures for all of them. It won't happen in my lifetime but I think that it will happen. Cause while RE was right that some see the glass half full and some half empty, I myself am just damn happy I have a glass.
    Stef
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    fauxma said:

Re and Chen,
    I was groping for the very words that you each wrote. I know that for many October is an unpleasant reminder of their cancer. On one hand, I hate it because I was diagnosed in October. On the other hand, anything that brings attention to getting screened, donating to find a cure, etc. is great with me. I think that a cure is out there somewhere but it may still be a long time coming. And a cure for one type of breast cancer will not cure others. I and the other ladies here also know that each diagnosis and stage is very different and even each Stage IV is different in how they respond to treatment. I am grateful that my cancer was Stage 1 and no node involvement but I am bothered by the use of the word "lucky" by SirRod. I am sure that the intention was not to make light of my cancer journey or others with this stage but honestly no one is lucky to have any diagnosis of cancer. I know this because, as most of you know, I have had several cancers. Stage 2B grade 3 uterine cancer, Stage 1 bladder cancer, Stage 1 no node involved breast cancer, squamous cell skin cancer and sebaceous skin cancer. I am sure that someone who has any one of these at a greater stage or grade might feel I am lucky. Well, gosh, I wish I didn't have such great luck. I have also been screened for and have Lynch syndrome which ups my chance of colon cancer to 60 to 80 percent and increases my risk for stomach, esophogeus and other cancers. I also have the subset of Muir Torre which increases my chance of more skin cancers. I am grateful that all of the cancers were caught early and that I can be diligent in screening for the other cancers. But lucky, I think not.
    I pray that my cancers never return and that I don't get new ones but the one thing I have learned from the ladies on this board that have recurrences and mets and other primary cancers is how strong they are and how in spite of times when the walls must feel like they are closing in, they deal with this with dignity and courage while still managing to give hope, encouragement and love to the rest of us. I do not assume to know how someone else must feel with their diagnosis and my heart goes out to all with cancers and yes I say an extra prayer for those battling Stage IV but the truth is cancer is ugly, nasty, horrid and scary no matter what type, what grade, what stage. And we need cures for all of them. It won't happen in my lifetime but I think that it will happen. Cause while RE was right that some see the glass half full and some half empty, I myself am just damn happy I have a glass.
    Stef

Stef you certainly have been
    Stef you certainly have been through a lot. glad you have a glass too!
    I get discouraged sometimes as well, especially having daughters, but then I think about the first time I was diagnosed, I was tested for ER pos or neg -no other receptors. herceptin wasnt around, no arimedex, tamoxifen, taxol, no parp inhibitors no sentinal node biopsies, so while there is no cure we have more hope and more progress.
    P.S. I dont like the pink reminders all the time, particularly as I seem to be a little more down than usual, but I guess its better than being ignored like some illnesses are.(this is what I tell myself, when I open a magazine and see all pink merchandise for our special month! LOL)
    So we will all get through this month holding each other's hands, but I think research is making a difference, sometimes at a snails pace it seems, and that is why we try to raise awareness and funds to find a prevention, cause and cure!
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    carkris said:

I get discouraged sometimes as well, especially having daughters, but then I think about the first time I was diagnosed, I was tested for ER pos or neg -no other receptors. herceptin wasnt around, no arimedex, tamoxifen, taxol, no parp inhibitors no sentinal node biopsies, so while there is no cure we have more hope and more progress.
    P.S. I dont like the pink reminders all the time, particularly as I seem to be a little more down than usual, but I guess its better than being ignored like some illnesses are.(this is what I tell myself, when I open a magazine and see all pink merchandise for our special month! LOL)
    So we will all get through this month holding each other's hands, but I think research is making a difference, sometimes at a snails pace it seems, and that is why we try to raise awareness and funds to find a prevention, cause and cure!

perspective
    I have read and re-read all of the comments and now have some of my own. The initial thought that comes to mind is perspective - we are all facing this from different points of view. I do not disregard anyone's feelings.

As for the month of October and all the pink ribbons and products - I LOVE IT. To me it is a little like the display of American flags and patriotic slogans after 9/11 - a unity of millions - what more could we ask for? If consumers buy products whose companies are making donations from sales, what's wrong with that? The people themselves may never have made a donation.

For those of you who are directly affected by this disease, I can hardly believe when you say that you would rather not have the constant reminder of breast cancer. I am Stage IV and constantly aware that I will never be cured, can only hope that my cancer can be "managed" for a long time to come. It takes no reminders for me but I love the fact that they're out there for the future.

When you're LIVING with Stage IV, it is obviously a different perspective from those with lesser Stages, grades, or types of cancer, though I take NO CANCER lightly! Every now and then, I struggle to stay positive and keep the hopeful outlook that I have most of the time. For you there is a lot of hope. Many of you will never have to face this again, but unfortunately, many will. If you were one of those, would you not accept a new treatment to save your life? One that may be discovered through funding raised by Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Komen "Races", or the ACS "Relays".

A "real cure" will NOT likely be found in my lifetime, but I have a daughter, son, nieces, and nephews, (not to mention probable future grandchildren) that I love and care deeply about. My greatest hopes involve them, that none of them will ever be affected by this devastating disease.

Then there's the perspective on Herceptin. I can speak "first hand" on the subject. While there is great promise for this targeted therapy, I am a prime example that it DID NOT WORK ALONE. In combination with a traditional chemo as the first line of treatment for me, it worked well with significant shrinkage of all of my tumors in all the different locations. But, when used alone it took a very short time (less than 2 months) for the tumors to begin rapid growth again. I'm still receiving it (because it attacks in a different way) along with another traditional chemo drug. This statement is not meant to scare or diminish hope for anyone. As an extended treatment for those who are HER2+ who've had surgery to remove their cancer, it DOES SEEM to be a wonderful advancement to stop a recurrence for many. Perhaps research can continue to improve on this.

What I'm posting here is not meant to be a personal pity party - it's meant to make a statement that much more research is needed and it must be kept in the limelight. Just last week I posted about the local Komen Race and the overwhelming feelings of unity, hope, and encouragement associated with it. If you've not been to one of these events, I would strongly urge you to do so.

LET THE PINK FLY!

Marsha
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    carkris said:

Carkris,
    I think that we get

Carkris,
    I think that we get through most of this because, as you said, we are holding each other's hands. It is such comfort to be held in the arms of a friend.
    Stef
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    SIROD said:

SIROD

Sirod
    I agree with you, but that is why we have to keep fighting, keep donating, and continue to speak out about our disease. I disagree that October and the pinkness will never help. Call me naive, but I am alive after battling this disease for 23 yrs (now Stage 4). I would not have made it 5 years without tamoxifen. New drugs and new research can only be a good thing. And I prefer to have hope, stay pink, and keep fighting.
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member

perspective
    I have read and re-read all of the comments and now have some of my own. The initial thought that comes to mind is perspective - we are all facing this from different points of view. I do not disregard anyone's feelings.

As for the month of October and all the pink ribbons and products - I LOVE IT. To me it is a little like the display of American flags and patriotic slogans after 9/11 - a unity of millions - what more could we ask for? If consumers buy products whose companies are making donations from sales, what's wrong with that? The people themselves may never have made a donation.

For those of you who are directly affected by this disease, I can hardly believe when you say that you would rather not have the constant reminder of breast cancer. I am Stage IV and constantly aware that I will never be cured, can only hope that my cancer can be "managed" for a long time to come. It takes no reminders for me but I love the fact that they're out there for the future.

When you're LIVING with Stage IV, it is obviously a different perspective from those with lesser Stages, grades, or types of cancer, though I take NO CANCER lightly! Every now and then, I struggle to stay positive and keep the hopeful outlook that I have most of the time. For you there is a lot of hope. Many of you will never have to face this again, but unfortunately, many will. If you were one of those, would you not accept a new treatment to save your life? One that may be discovered through funding raised by Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Komen "Races", or the ACS "Relays".

A "real cure" will NOT likely be found in my lifetime, but I have a daughter, son, nieces, and nephews, (not to mention probable future grandchildren) that I love and care deeply about. My greatest hopes involve them, that none of them will ever be affected by this devastating disease.

Then there's the perspective on Herceptin. I can speak "first hand" on the subject. While there is great promise for this targeted therapy, I am a prime example that it DID NOT WORK ALONE. In combination with a traditional chemo as the first line of treatment for me, it worked well with significant shrinkage of all of my tumors in all the different locations. But, when used alone it took a very short time (less than 2 months) for the tumors to begin rapid growth again. I'm still receiving it (because it attacks in a different way) along with another traditional chemo drug. This statement is not meant to scare or diminish hope for anyone. As an extended treatment for those who are HER2+ who've had surgery to remove their cancer, it DOES SEEM to be a wonderful advancement to stop a recurrence for many. Perhaps research can continue to improve on this.

What I'm posting here is not meant to be a personal pity party - it's meant to make a statement that much more research is needed and it must be kept in the limelight. Just last week I posted about the local Komen Race and the overwhelming feelings of unity, hope, and encouragement associated with it. If you've not been to one of these events, I would strongly urge you to do so.

LET THE PINK FLY!

Marsha

This is my first October
    This is my first October since diagnosis. I'm afraid I don't really know how to feel. I felt quite pleased today when I could explain to my granddaughters that the football players were wearing pink because this is breast cancer awareness month. They were with me through my ordeal, ( they are 9 and 11 and live with me) and cheered me on when I was bald and were so sweetly encouaging. On the other hand, I can see where it can be a bit daunting to see pink everywhere. As Chen said, this is predominently a women's issue and I think of all the women who went before me to raise such awareness. Not forgetting men who are also fighting this disease or anyone fighting any kind of cancer, I feel we as women are the givers of comfort and stength. It makes me proud to be part of this board and the group of caring people I've come to rely on.