Arm/Wrist Surgery after Mastectomy ?'s or Advice

trugrit
trugrit Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone had surgery on their arm/wrist after having had a mastectomy???? I had 6 nodes positive out of 18 removed. I'm being referred to an orthopedic md for possible surgery on my dequarvaine's tendonitis (thumb tendons like carpal tunnel). I'm terrified of getting lymphedema. Physical therapy and immobilization has not helped. Any suggestions or experience out there? The pain is worse than the mastectomy and reconstruction/expansion that I am going through now.

Comments

• jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Hi Trugrit
    I just had my

Hi Trugrit
    I just had my implants in about 2 months ago and have been dealing with a very painful shoulder (not wrist) but just went to doc today and they are sending me to an Orthopedic also and i dont know what to expect once i set that appointment. Im kinda scared of getting lymphedema also but more scared that they are wanting test to make sure its not bone cancer...So i kinda know how ya feel...its very very painful! I have been going to physical therapy for it and its not improving but its not getting worse...so i guess thats good!
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Hola
    I assume its on the same side as ur mast? I have mild lymphedema on my right side. That would be a question to ask ur onc/ortho. I work in surgery and dequarvaines should not be as painful as ur mast/reconstruct. Depending on ur orthopod incision usually about 1-2 in. Some docs will numb (block) the wrist so you will have pain relif after surgery. Ask. I think you'll do fine. You've already been through so much. I have problems w various tendons and nerves, and I think that hurts worse(untreated) than my mast did. Good energy to you. Katz
  • trugrit
    jo jo said:

Hi Trugrit
    I just had my

Hi Trugrit
    I just had my implants in about 2 months ago and have been dealing with a very painful shoulder (not wrist) but just went to doc today and they are sending me to an Orthopedic also and i dont know what to expect once i set that appointment. Im kinda scared of getting lymphedema also but more scared that they are wanting test to make sure its not bone cancer...So i kinda know how ya feel...its very very painful! I have been going to physical therapy for it and its not improving but its not getting worse...so i guess thats good!

Jo Jo
    Looks like we are both kinda of in the same boat, I guess we will just have to wait and see what the MD's have to say before we worry too much. It just sucks that "it's always something". We are strong and will get thru this nonsence!!! Good Luck, prayers on the way for you!!!
  • trugrit
    Katz77 said:

Hola
    I assume its on the same side as ur mast? I have mild lymphedema on my right side. That would be a question to ask ur onc/ortho. I work in surgery and dequarvaines should not be as painful as ur mast/reconstruct. Depending on ur orthopod incision usually about 1-2 in. Some docs will numb (block) the wrist so you will have pain relif after surgery. Ask. I think you'll do fine. You've already been through so much. I have problems w various tendons and nerves, and I think that hurts worse(untreated) than my mast did. Good energy to you. Katz

Hola Katz77
    Yes same side as mast. Yeah the pain is as intense if not more so than the post-mast surgery was, it is just confined to a smaller area and it just won't go away. I will be patient until I see the Orthos one on Mon and another on Wednesday. In the mean time I will just "grin and bare" it!!! I guess not treating it will be worse than the chance of lymphedema. I will also consult with my Oncologist too. I will ask about a block during surgery one, less invasion in the "Bad" Arm anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Sending that good energy your way too!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    trugrit said:

Jo Jo
    Looks like we are both kinda of in the same boat, I guess we will just have to wait and see what the MD's have to say before we worry too much. It just sucks that "it's always something". We are strong and will get thru this nonsence!!! Good Luck, prayers on the way for you!!!

I haven't had this pain or
    I haven't had this pain or lymphedema trugrit, but, want to wish you good luck and I hope that your doctors can help you with the pain that you are having.

Hugs, Jan
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Trugrit???
    have u seen the orthopod yet?
  • trugrit
    Katz77 said:

Trugrit???
    have u seen the orthopod yet?

Hello All!!!!
    Well Ladies, I Bit the Bullet/took a chance and had a steroid shot. I figured that a needle was less invasive than surgery and it worked and so far so good no swelling. I saw two md. Didn't like the first but the Dr that I went with was great no pain to speak of with the needle. I am able to do just about every thing I did before the pain started. It is still a bit tender but it is sooooo much better. Thank you for your prayers and good thoughts. I will keep you posted from time to time. Be well and keep up the good fight.

Turn your scars in to stars and keep dreaming!

TruGrit
  • trugrit
    trugrit said:

Hello All!!!!
    Well Ladies, I Bit the Bullet/took a chance and had a steroid shot. I figured that a needle was less invasive than surgery and it worked and so far so good no swelling. I saw two md. Didn't like the first but the Dr that I went with was great no pain to speak of with the needle. I am able to do just about every thing I did before the pain started. It is still a bit tender but it is sooooo much better. Thank you for your prayers and good thoughts. I will keep you posted from time to time. Be well and keep up the good fight.

Turn your scars in to stars and keep dreaming!

TruGrit

another update
    The left wrist is still great! The right one which didn't really bother me is now almost at the point where I was when I had the shot in the right one. I'm wondering if the problems were not "over use" but maybe a combination of that and the Arimidex that I am on.

Time will tell.

Tough time never last, tough people do!!!!