My brother has cancer in stomach and large intestine

chshakoor
chshakoor Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Stomach Cancer #1
My elder brother is 35 years old.His stomach was closed so doctors proposed surgery.When they open her body,they came to know that cancer was spread in stomach and large intestine.Then they did bypass with the help of small intestine.He is still in hospital.Now doctors saying that if surgery will be successful then the patient life will be only few months.I am waiting for suggestions.

Comments

• Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Welcome
    Hello and welcome to you and your brother. Sorry to hear of his latest diagnosis. He is so young, but cancer does not pick an age. Him being young will work to his advantage though. He will be able to recover and handle things easier and better than an older individual. I am suggesting that you ask his drs. about giving your brother chemo or radiation for his cancer. Sounds like they fixed his blockage problem with the bypass surgery, but are not dealing with the cancer. If you are not satisfied with his drs you can always ask for a second opinion. I was a caregiver for my dad. He passed away in March from esophageal cancer with mets to the liver. The tumor he had was very close to his stomach. Hope this helps. Keep up the good work, your brother will need your support. Keep in touch.
    Tina in Va
  • chshakoor

Welcome
    Hello and welcome to you and your brother. Sorry to hear of his latest diagnosis. He is so young, but cancer does not pick an age. Him being young will work to his advantage though. He will be able to recover and handle things easier and better than an older individual. I am suggesting that you ask his drs. about giving your brother chemo or radiation for his cancer. Sounds like they fixed his blockage problem with the bypass surgery, but are not dealing with the cancer. If you are not satisfied with his drs you can always ask for a second opinion. I was a caregiver for my dad. He passed away in March from esophageal cancer with mets to the liver. The tumor he had was very close to his stomach. Hope this helps. Keep up the good work, your brother will need your support. Keep in touch.
    Tina in Va

Thnx
    Dear Tina,
    Thnx a lot for your views and suggestions.
  • liveinhope
    liveinhope Member Posts: 83
    Tina's suggestion is
    Tina's suggestion is good.Your brother is very young and may tolerate chemotherapy/radiation well.You should speak to his doctor or take a second opinion from a good oncologist.My son is 14months from chemotherapy and total gastrectomy and I know from experience how doctors' attitudes differ.All the best.
    Nisha
  • Get second / third opinion
    ASAP.
  • chshakoor

Tina's suggestion is
    Tina's suggestion is good.Your brother is very young and may tolerate chemotherapy/radiation well.You should speak to his doctor or take a second opinion from a good oncologist.My son is 14months from chemotherapy and total gastrectomy and I know from experience how doctors' attitudes differ.All the best.
    Nisha

THnx
    Thnx for your suggestions but doctors saying that ,now chemothropy/radiations are not effective for him.He just have to spend his remaining life without any medicine.His cancer is on final stages.
  • chshakoor

Get second / third opinion
    ASAP.

further suggestion
    Thnx for your suggestions but doctors saying that ,now chemothropy/radiations are not effective for him.He just have to spend his remaining life without any medicine.His cancer is on final stages.
  • dustmagnet7
    dustmagnet7 Member Posts: 27
    chshakoor said:

further suggestion

Find a new doctor...
    My origional diagnosis was terminal stage 4 stomach cancer and my doctors told me that I would only have 12-16 months to live. Thanks to some very agressive treatment from my oncologist and surgical oncologist, I am now cancer free and begining the long journey of re-building my body. Don't ever give up hope and find your brother doctors willing to try anything to treat the cancer. Best wishes to you and your brother.