H Pylori

Options
Steve Z
Steve Z Member Posts: 51
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Some of you know I was experiencing some digestion issues over the last several weeks leading up to scans and my one year anniversary of NED. Of course scanxiety was at an all time high. Well through a breath test and a blood test I found out that I tested positive for H Pylori, a stomach infection that can be treated with antibiotics and strong Prilosec type meds. Has anyone experienced this?

Comments

• StockCar5
    StockCar5 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Good Luck
    You will be on the antibiotics for 2 weeks, four times a day. Food is going to taste horrible and water is going to taste horrible. I just got over a bout of h. pylori myself a few weeks ago and the cure is as bad as the disease. But keep in mind its only two weeks and my taste came back within about 3 days after I was done with the meds. Good luck, Steve

Jim
  • karguy
    karguy Member Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Yes
    Yes I had it about a year ago,I took the antibiotics,and had no problem.But from all the stomach acid I ended up with barretts eshophogus,and have to take prilosec twice a day forever because it ate a lot of my eshophogus away.I hope you caught yours in time.Mine was found during a colonoscopy,that also found my cancer.Good luck.
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Options
    karguy said:

Yes
    Yes I had it about a year ago,I took the antibiotics,and had no problem.But from all the stomach acid I ended up with barretts eshophogus,and have to take prilosec twice a day forever because it ate a lot of my eshophogus away.I hope you caught yours in time.Mine was found during a colonoscopy,that also found my cancer.Good luck.

wow
    Steve I have always been very curious about pylori....some docs just don`t seem to even discuss it

i am so happy you an answer and pray that it will be resolved without too much difficulty

very very best of luck

maggie
  • trainer
    trainer Member Posts: 241
    Options
    H pylori
    I had it in June and it really ate my stomach up to the point where I needed two pints of blood. The doctor said had I not come in when I did, Friday morning, I would probably be dead by Tuesday. I would have simply lost more blood and simply never woke up.Sobering thought. I also got a bleeding ulcer out of it and prilosec solved that. I also lost 30 lbs in 11 days from edenema thanks to two kinds of diuretics.

I was on antibiotic drip around the clock for about 3 days.

Any idea if this is related to colon cancer?
  • maglets
    Options
    trainer said:

H pylori
    I had it in June and it really ate my stomach up to the point where I needed two pints of blood. The doctor said had I not come in when I did, Friday morning, I would probably be dead by Tuesday. I would have simply lost more blood and simply never woke up.Sobering thought. I also got a bleeding ulcer out of it and prilosec solved that. I also lost 30 lbs in 11 days from edenema thanks to two kinds of diuretics.

I was on antibiotic drip around the clock for about 3 days.

Any idea if this is related to colon cancer?

pylori
    yikes this infection sounds sooooo serious....you guys have really suffered

how do you tell the difference between low down dirty reflux and h pylori....

mags
  • Steve Z
    Steve Z Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Thanks
    Jim, I really appreciate your feedback. I'm going away for my birthday and I think I'll hold off on the meds until after this weekend. From what I've read this presents itself in varying degrees and in fact alot of people have it and don't know it. I think I was very sensative to the symptoms due the cancer anxiety. The drugs cost me $75 with insurance. The Pharmasist confirmed the drug companies are just repackaging meds that are available as generics, but Docs are convinced by reps to perscribe the "new" drug.

Thanks again everyone.

Mags we are planning on a trip up to the Bruce next year. We'll have to plan on getting together.
  • maglets
    Options
    Steve Z said:

Thanks
    Jim, I really appreciate your feedback. I'm going away for my birthday and I think I'll hold off on the meds until after this weekend. From what I've read this presents itself in varying degrees and in fact alot of people have it and don't know it. I think I was very sensative to the symptoms due the cancer anxiety. The drugs cost me $75 with insurance. The Pharmasist confirmed the drug companies are just repackaging meds that are available as generics, but Docs are convinced by reps to perscribe the "new" drug.

Thanks again everyone.

Mags we are planning on a trip up to the Bruce next year. We'll have to plan on getting together.

wonderful
    steve that would be so wonderful to meet you.....really something to look forward to

all best luck with your pylori

maggie
  • trainer
    trainer Member Posts: 241
    Options
    maglets said:

pylori
    yikes this infection sounds sooooo serious....you guys have really suffered

how do you tell the difference between low down dirty reflux and h pylori....

mags

pylori
    Not sure what the others symptoms were, but I was bleeding heavily in my stomach, lost enough blood that I was slurring my speech and couldn't respond to questions without long delays in processing what was said. And all I wanted to do was sit around and do nothing. My wife has reflux disease and essentially her symptoms were severe heartburn. I go to the Mayo Clinic and I had a steady stream of doctors coming through as apparently it's a spin off of strep which was in the blood. Took them a week to determine what it was. Of course, all those symptoms are typical of sailors on liberty in a foreign port, so who knows.
  • maglets
    Options
    maglets said:

wonderful
    steve that would be so wonderful to meet you.....really something to look forward to

all best luck with your pylori

maggie

gosh
    well I have been sitting around thinking maybe my reflux was h pylori but obviously not! sounds grim.....funny when we diagnosis ourselves....

thanks trainer

maggie
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Options
    maglets said:

gosh
    well I have been sitting around thinking maybe my reflux was h pylori but obviously not! sounds grim.....funny when we diagnosis ourselves....

thanks trainer

maggie

Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egSv7AhCExY

Sounds like a med tech? interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6pntOezgeQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiR0gVyRdVA&feature=channel