home from masectomy still not self

anaumann
anaumann Member Posts: 60 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
After a week I am feeling somewhat better, but the drains are still in and seem to be bothering me a bit more. Went to the dr yesterday and had good news--only one node had cancer and margins of breast had none!!! I am still quite anxious and my digestion is terrible. I go to the oncologist tomorrow which has me stressed. Trying talking, relaxation tapes but can't seem to stay calm. There are reminders every time I move-numbness, stiffness, tireness...sorry to vent but I need some of your reassurances. ann

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    It takes time to heal; be
    It takes time to heal; be patient with yourself. The soreness and pain you are feeling are completely normal and may persist, but slowly improve, over about 6 weeks. Pain and stiffness is worse at night. Pain pills are prescribed, not just to keep you comfortable, but because those who take them move more and heal faster. Moving is the key to a rapid recovery but you may need to take your pain meds (advil or tylenol may be enough) about 1/2 hr before. Of course, you will feel more comfortable when the drains are out, but you don't want them out to soon or you will be back at the docs with edema (swelling).

My digestion is always screwed up after surgery too. I find myself drinking ginger ale and eating lots of potato soup. For some reason, I could eat Chinese food too. You will have to experiment. It is a good idea to eat a little yogurt each day--even a small amount will help.

Constipation is a problem between the anesthesia and the pain meds. For me, natural worked better and I ate prunes (even though I am not crazy about them). But don't let constipation get too bad--talk with your doc as they are very used to this problem and they will recommend something for you.

Hope this helps!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Ann, it will get better. I
    Ann, it will get better. I am 8 weeks today out from my double maastectomy. My drains were in for 2 weeks. I also had the digestion problem and I discussed with my PS a week after the surgery. It turned out that mine was caused by the pain pills. I was taking them every 6 hours as prescribed and my body was not liking them. So, I quit taking them that day and used Extra Strength Tylenol if I needed something. I also took Colace which is a stool softener and that helped, too. It does get easier day by day. Give yourself time to recover and before you know it this will be over. Take care.
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Ann,
    Hang in there, it will get better. Be patient. Once the drains do come out, you will definitely begin to feel better. Hugs, Jean
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Oh Ann - those drains are a
    Oh Ann - those drains are a pain in the as*....but I agree with everyone else that once they are removed you will feel significantly more comfortable. Do you have a prescription for anti anxiety meds? My dr. gave me xanax, it's a really low dose & does not put me to sleep, in fact i rarely use it anymore, but I really needed it in the beginning, after my mastectomy. I know how hard it is to be patient through this -you just want to get everything done & over with & get back to normal. Believe me, i know, i have the patience of a 4 yr old. It does get better, and easier. I promise :) We're here with you.
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • anaumann
    anaumann Member Posts: 60 Member

Oh Ann - those drains are a
    Oh Ann - those drains are a pain in the as*....but I agree with everyone else that once they are removed you will feel significantly more comfortable. Do you have a prescription for anti anxiety meds? My dr. gave me xanax, it's a really low dose & does not put me to sleep, in fact i rarely use it anymore, but I really needed it in the beginning, after my mastectomy. I know how hard it is to be patient through this -you just want to get everything done & over with & get back to normal. Believe me, i know, i have the patience of a 4 yr old. It does get better, and easier. I promise :) We're here with you.
    *hugs*
    Heather

Thanks
    I know you all give such good advise. My digestion difficulties have to do with stress. No constipation, lots of gurgling and little appitite. Ive been taking pain meds only at night otherwise tylenol and xanax when I get really anxious. Today has been much better so far due to finally getting some good news, but chemo etc. is always in the back of my mind. ann
  • hoop77
    hoop77 Member Posts: 84
    It will get better once you
    It will get better once you have the drains removed. Great news on your pathology!!! My digestion was messed up from all of the pain pills. I stopped taking the narcotic and switched to tramadol for pain and it made a world of difference. Ah, the oncologist visit, definitely very scary but you will feel reassured once you talk to him/her. Recovery is a slow process, just give yourself time and get plenty of rest. I promise it really does get better! Good luck with your Dr. appt tomorrow.
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    anaumann said:

Thanks
    I know you all give such good advise. My digestion difficulties have to do with stress. No constipation, lots of gurgling and little appitite. Ive been taking pain meds only at night otherwise tylenol and xanax when I get really anxious. Today has been much better so far due to finally getting some good news, but chemo etc. is always in the back of my mind. ann

Ann im glad today is a
    Ann im glad today is a little better for you and it will continue to get better...especially when you get those pain in the rump drains out!
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Ann
    to me the drains were very uncomfortable. My surgeon removed them about 10 days out. Take time to heal. Sending gentle {{hugs}}
    Char