Modofoed Mediterranean Diet

bdhilton
bdhilton Member Posts: 846 Member
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Outside of the few "pushs" for certain brand vitamins one of the better guides to this type of diet (I live by it)...to your health

http://mrisusa.com/mediterranean_diet.asp#fish

Comments

• Mitch128
    Mitch128 Member Posts: 20
    Nutritional Supplements Complement Diet
    Excellent site on the Mediterranean Diet which I'm slowly trying to incorporate into my diet - tough after a lifetime eating whatever, whenever :(

As to Nutritional Supplements, I follow those recommended by Dr. Charles "Snuffy" Myers in his book ""Beating Prostate Cancer: Hormonal Therapy & Diet" which are:

Lcopene - 10 mg with each meal
    Selenium - 200 mcgs a day
    Vitamin E - 200 IU a day
    Fish Oil - 4,000 mg a day
    Soy isoflavones - 200 mg a day
    Vitamin D3 - 4,000 IU a day (I take 5,000 IU a day)

In addition, I take a multi-vitamin & 1200 mg of calcium daily. I am considering the Green Tea Extract but need to do some more research before I commit.

Dr. Myers, btw, is a strong proponent of the Mediterranean Diet.

Be well, Mitch
  • bdhilton
    Mitch128 said:

Nutritional Supplements Complement Diet
    Excellent site on the Mediterranean Diet which I'm slowly trying to incorporate into my diet - tough after a lifetime eating whatever, whenever :(

As to Nutritional Supplements, I follow those recommended by Dr. Charles "Snuffy" Myers in his book ""Beating Prostate Cancer: Hormonal Therapy & Diet" which are:

Lcopene - 10 mg with each meal
    Selenium - 200 mcgs a day
    Vitamin E - 200 IU a day
    Fish Oil - 4,000 mg a day
    Soy isoflavones - 200 mg a day
    Vitamin D3 - 4,000 IU a day (I take 5,000 IU a day)

In addition, I take a multi-vitamin & 1200 mg of calcium daily. I am considering the Green Tea Extract but need to do some more research before I commit.

Dr. Myers, btw, is a strong proponent of the Mediterranean Diet.

Be well, Mitch

Hey Mitch-To your health
    Hey Mitch-

To your health as well...Good for you…. I total believe in this diet stuff and it can be really tasty…I am lucky my wife is a grommet cook...I believe in all guns blazing…I take some supplements but goal is to learn to eat most of my “supplements” :

AM Vitamin C 1000 mg
    Super B:
    Thiamin-50 mg, Riboflavin-50 mg, Niacin-300 mg,
    B-6-50 mg, Folate-400 mg, Biotin-400 mg,
    Pantothenic Acid-100 mg & Calcium-37 mg
    Multi Vitamin (Centrum Silver)

PM Vitamin D3 1000 IU
    Fish Oil-days with no fish only 1000 mg
    Vitamin E 400 mg
    B-12 250 mg
    Aspirin 81 mg

Foods Daily Intake
    35-40+ grams of fiber
    8 oz Pomegranate Juice
    3-5 serving of Green Tea
    Serving Fruits- 2-3 servings daily
    Serving Vegitables-3-5 daily
    Beans daily
    one serving soy daily
    Fish-3-5 times weekly-Sock eye Salmon, wild Cod,
    wild Halibut, wild tuna and Sardines in Olive oil-only
    No beef
    No Dairy
    Marinara Sauce w/Olive Oil base only-3-5 times weekly
    2-4 Brazilian nuts and 10-12 Almonds raw daily
    2-3 glasses red wine
  • hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
    bdhilton said:

Hey Mitch-To your health
    Hey Mitch-

To your health as well...Good for you…. I total believe in this diet stuff and it can be really tasty…I am lucky my wife is a grommet cook...I believe in all guns blazing…I take some supplements but goal is to learn to eat most of my “supplements” :

AM Vitamin C 1000 mg
    Super B:
    Thiamin-50 mg, Riboflavin-50 mg, Niacin-300 mg,
    B-6-50 mg, Folate-400 mg, Biotin-400 mg,
    Pantothenic Acid-100 mg & Calcium-37 mg
    Multi Vitamin (Centrum Silver)

PM Vitamin D3 1000 IU
    Fish Oil-days with no fish only 1000 mg
    Vitamin E 400 mg
    B-12 250 mg
    Aspirin 81 mg

Foods Daily Intake
    35-40+ grams of fiber
    8 oz Pomegranate Juice
    3-5 serving of Green Tea
    Serving Fruits- 2-3 servings daily
    Serving Vegitables-3-5 daily
    Beans daily
    one serving soy daily
    Fish-3-5 times weekly-Sock eye Salmon, wild Cod,
    wild Halibut, wild tuna and Sardines in Olive oil-only
    No beef
    No Dairy
    Marinara Sauce w/Olive Oil base only-3-5 times weekly
    2-4 Brazilian nuts and 10-12 Almonds raw daily
    2-3 glasses red wine

selium and vitamin e supplements
    are a no no.....there was a major study that tried to validate the benefits , however it was stopped mid way....these vitamins had an adverse effect for prostate cancer patients.

Also not a good idea to have a mens multi vitamin......try a womens
  • bdhilton

selium and vitamin e supplements
    are a no no.....there was a major study that tried to validate the benefits , however it was stopped mid way....these vitamins had an adverse effect for prostate cancer patients.

Also not a good idea to have a mens multi vitamin......try a womens

Yes there is a study I read
    Yes there is a study I read somewhere that said that Selenium could be good or bad depending on your genes (that is why I do not take it but it is in a lot of foods in general) and both my surgeon William Catalona and my Oncologist have instructed me to take E and a cheap multi vitamin…I am sure there are conflicting studies with what vitamins we should take or not take with this beast…

Best to all
  • hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
    bdhilton said:

Yes there is a study I read
    Yes there is a study I read somewhere that said that Selenium could be good or bad depending on your genes (that is why I do not take it but it is in a lot of foods in general) and both my surgeon William Catalona and my Oncologist have instructed me to take E and a cheap multi vitamin…I am sure there are conflicting studies with what vitamins we should take or not take with this beast…

Best to all

documentation
    BD here is documentation from one source among many that indicates that large vitamin doses selenium and E as described in the study are not beneficial for prostate cancer...actually I thought when I posted that this study was stopped because the reverse was true...the info that you received from your doc was given before the study was ended, or he was not aware of the results of the study. This was a major study, in fact I had been taking these vitamins , threw away the pills and stopped taking them.

Vitamins E, C, selenium don't reduce prostate cancer risk - CNN
    Vitamins E, C, selenium don't reduce prostate cancer risk ... One study looked at vitamin E and selenium, studying over 35,000 men who took 400 IU of vitamin E ...
    articles.cnn.com/2008-12-10/health/prostate.cancer...

There is a doc, Dr. Mark Moyad of Michagan, who basically does research about cancer nutrition and is very well respected, anyway as far as multi vitamins for men , these pills have some ingredient( sorry I don't know which one) that is not beneficial, so he recommends multi vitamins for women instead of one for men.
  • bdhilton

documentation
    BD here is documentation from one source among many that indicates that large vitamin doses selenium and E as described in the study are not beneficial for prostate cancer...actually I thought when I posted that this study was stopped because the reverse was true...the info that you received from your doc was given before the study was ended, or he was not aware of the results of the study. This was a major study, in fact I had been taking these vitamins , threw away the pills and stopped taking them.

Vitamins E, C, selenium don't reduce prostate cancer risk ... One study looked at vitamin E and selenium, studying over 35,000 men who took 400 IU of vitamin E ...

There is a doc, Dr. Mark Moyad of Michagan, who basically does research about cancer nutrition and is very well respected, anyway as far as multi vitamins for men , these pills have some ingredient( sorry I don't know which one) that is not beneficial, so he recommends multi vitamins for women instead of one for men.

Hopeful...thanks for the
    Hopeful...thanks for the information. All sorts of conflicting stuff out there. But one thing for sure is that to much of anything is not good. I can understand that recommendation of a woman’s vitamin instead of a "man's" vitamin that is why I take a “generic” multi vitamin plus the few supplements I have already mentioned…

I understand that E does not reduce the risk of prostate cancer (I already have it and had surgery) but my oncologist has me taking it for protection against heart disease that he says will more like get most guys before PCa (I have no heart issues).

Selenium is a no no from my oncologist already…

The information and recommendations provided to me by my surgeon William Catalona and my Oncologist are recent and are basically from Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center...My oncologist also has PCa (like you AS right now) so I am very confident in his recommendation plus you have go to remember he sent me up to Chicago to have another surgeon do the surgery when he himself is a well know surgeon along with being an oncologist…I am blessed to have an oncologist that was not looking for the surgery $$ but getting me the best treatment for me…

Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center provides a lot of good information-

http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/457.cfm and then type in diet or vitamins

Thanks again and best to you…
  • Mitch128
    Mitch128 Member Posts: 20

documentation

Selenium & Vitamin E are out, Curcumin & Reversterol in.
    < here is documentation from one source among many that indicates that large vitamin doses selenium and E as described in the study are not beneficial for prostate cancer >

Correct! Dr. Myers no longer supports the use of Vitamin E and Selenium. He has a video on his site askdrmyers.wordpress.com/ regarding this shift of opinion. He suggests replacing Selenium & Vitamin E with Curcumin and Reversterol.

BTW, all I could turn-up re: multi-vitamins is that "too much" (without defining what amount is too much) is ng.

Mitch