70% of women likely to experience sexual problems after breast cancer

CypressCynthia
CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
This article appeared in The Journal of Sexual Medicine today:
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/PressRelease/pressReleaseId-82477.html
"A new study published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine looked at whether women were more likely to experience sexual problems after breast cancer. The results showed that 70% of women were facing sexual function problems approximately two years post diagnosis."

I found this to be very true and I was only 33 at diagnosis. I post this as no physician ever mentioned that side effect and I want others to know that it is not in your head--it is probably a combo of things. It was hard on us but we got through it by talking and snuggling.

Hope this helps someone else.

Comments

• survives
    survives Member Posts: 254 Member
    Wouldn't it be nice---
    if people would just be up front and honest?? My surgeon causally mentioned that somewhere down the road, I could get lymphedemia, and my pcp shly asks how "life" is. Come right out and say things, darn it!!

I think if you are on Tamoxifine, or an AI, our estrogen goes away, and quite frankly, there goes our drive as well. It's life. You figure it out, and go on. AS you said, snuggles, and talking is the key..........but don't forget the laughter!

Jennifer
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    survives said:

Wouldn't it be nice---
    if people would just be up front and honest?? My surgeon causally mentioned that somewhere down the road, I could get lymphedemia, and my pcp shly asks how "life" is. Come right out and say things, darn it!!

I think if you are on Tamoxifine, or an AI, our estrogen goes away, and quite frankly, there goes our drive as well. It's life. You figure it out, and go on. AS you said, snuggles, and talking is the key..........but don't forget the laughter!

Jennifer

I think its the breast
    I think its the breast changes,/ loss, fatique, s/e from medications, body image with the hair loss. tamoxifen doesnt help. but for me in ways you wouldnt expect, plus I am on neurontin and having some weird side effects. Its all fun, but gets better.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    carkris said:

I think its the breast
    I think its the breast changes,/ loss, fatique, s/e from medications, body image with the hair loss. tamoxifen doesnt help. but for me in ways you wouldnt expect, plus I am on neurontin and having some weird side effects. Its all fun, but gets better.

For me, back in 1987 and
    For me, back in 1987 and being 33 yrs old, I could tell it was the tamoxifen as it was dramatic. Of course, that didn't mean that I wouldn't take it--of course, I wanted to do anything to fight the beast! But I wished that someone had warned me as it took some hurt and confusion to figure it all out. My hubbie is a keeper though and quickly adjusted and "got with the program." He always seems to care about me being here and healthy more than anything else.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

For me, back in 1987 and
    For me, back in 1987 and being 33 yrs old, I could tell it was the tamoxifen as it was dramatic. Of course, that didn't mean that I wouldn't take it--of course, I wanted to do anything to fight the beast! But I wished that someone had warned me as it took some hurt and confusion to figure it all out. My hubbie is a keeper though and quickly adjusted and "got with the program." He always seems to care about me being here and healthy more than anything else.

yes I am fortunate in that
    yes I am fortunate in that way to CC. but its troubling for me, but my belief is 'when there is a will there is a way" Tamoxifen didnt change my desire, I think it increased it, but I think that may be the estrogen suppression. weird huh,? I prob had too much before. but there are more considerations , but If I dwell on the way it used to be I can never enjoy what I have sooooo. CC glad you are so frank, sure it helps others.