Survivor Guilt

CypressCynthia
CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Interesting article in Cure Today on "Getting Through Survivor Guilt": http://www.curetoday.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/article.show/id/2/article_id/1541

Many of the reactions described reminded me of some of the attitudes that I have dealt with from those who have never had cancer. Maybe there is also a Cancerless Guilt?

Comments

• Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    Good question on the
    Good question on the Cancerless guilt. I think my mom suffers from this one. But being a mom I can understand, I pray none of my girls ever goes thru this.

Lupe
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Pinkpower said:

Good question on the
    Good question on the Cancerless guilt. I think my mom suffers from this one. But being a mom I can understand, I pray none of my girls ever goes thru this.

Lupe

Just my thoughts ...
    struggling with overwhelming guilt .. why 1 lives, and the other dies is up to God in my belief and book... this article should ... read How to resolve 'self blame' - Post tramatic for the 'LIVING'.

Vicki Sam
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I think my mom
    wonders why it skipped her. Her mom, her sister and 3 of her 4 daughters with bc. Go figure. I pray that she doesn't feel any guilt as it could happen to anyone.......
    Char
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    cahjah75 said:

I think my mom
    wonders why it skipped her. Her mom, her sister and 3 of her 4 daughters with bc. Go figure. I pray that she doesn't feel any guilt as it could happen to anyone.......
    Char

Char .. I can not imagine, what your poor Mom is
    going thru .. She is there supporting her girls and knows first hand what breast cancer looks like, before, during and after treatments.

I am starting to hear from folks that I haven't heard from for the past year, October is just a few days away. I see Pink and Pink Ribbons all over the news, newspapers, talk shows and Malls .. I pray that I have the patience to deal with my family and friends coming out of the wood work to greet me with some wonderful inside story about "THEM", and what a tragic year it's been for THEM - just knowing or being related to someone who is actually going thru breast cancer - I just hope, I don't slap them out like a new cement driveway .. verbally of course!

Cheers to you and your sister, and of course Mom.

Vicki Sam
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    VickiSam said:

Char .. I can not imagine, what your poor Mom is
    going thru .. She is there supporting her girls and knows first hand what breast cancer looks like, before, during and after treatments.

I am starting to hear from folks that I haven't heard from for the past year, October is just a few days away. I see Pink and Pink Ribbons all over the news, newspapers, talk shows and Malls .. I pray that I have the patience to deal with my family and friends coming out of the wood work to greet me with some wonderful inside story about "THEM", and what a tragic year it's been for THEM - just knowing or being related to someone who is actually going thru breast cancer - I just hope, I don't slap them out like a new cement driveway .. verbally of course!

Cheers to you and your sister, and of course Mom.

Vicki Sam

I could tell my dad had a
    I could tell my dad had a lot of guilt. He and his 2 brothers (he had no sisters)had colon cancer). Their mom (my paternal grandmother) and all of 3 of her sisters (my great aunts) had breast cancer. Definitely genetic and appears to come from my dad's side, right? But he used to say things like, "your mom's family has weird genes" after 3 of his 4 daughters were diagnosed with breast cancer. And he was rather grumpy about it.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

I could tell my dad had a
    I could tell my dad had a lot of guilt. He and his 2 brothers (he had no sisters)had colon cancer). Their mom (my paternal grandmother) and all of 3 of her sisters (my great aunts) had breast cancer. Definitely genetic and appears to come from my dad's side, right? But he used to say things like, "your mom's family has weird genes" after 3 of his 4 daughters were diagnosed with breast cancer. And he was rather grumpy about it.

if I got it genetically it
    if I got it genetically it seems it comes from my fathers side as well. do any of the men in your family get it? That would be interesting to see.