Gracie42
Gracie42 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Can i survive the chemo?

Comments

• Brooklynchele
    Brooklynchele Member Posts: 123
    Gracie
    Sorry that you have to join our band of Warriors, but welcome. I am only through my first 2 rounds of chemo so I may not be the best to respond but my answer is yes.

While chemo has not been a "walk in the park" for me, it is survivable. Try not to get scared off by horror stories. Everyone is different. And the meds they have out now to help combat the chemo side effects like nausea, pain, allergic reactions, etc. are much better now than they ever were.

The group on this site has been so wonderfully warm and supportive of me and each other. We will all help you get through this.

Hugs,
    Michele
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member

Gracie
    Sorry that you have to join our band of Warriors, but welcome. I am only through my first 2 rounds of chemo so I may not be the best to respond but my answer is yes.

While chemo has not been a "walk in the park" for me, it is survivable. Try not to get scared off by horror stories. Everyone is different. And the meds they have out now to help combat the chemo side effects like nausea, pain, allergic reactions, etc. are much better now than they ever were.

The group on this site has been so wonderfully warm and supportive of me and each other. We will all help you get through this.

Hugs,
    Michele

Yes Gracie you will survive
    Yes Gracie you will survive the chemo. I was so afraid to have chemo and honestly it is so different today from the horror stories we heard from years ago.
    They have great anti nausea drugs and they also will give you something to help with your nerves if you need it. Also, the steroids help and make you feel a lot better.
    Don't be afraid even though everyone is different and will have different results, it is much better now.
    God bless and be strong.
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • roseyposey333
    roseyposey333 Member Posts: 68
    yes
    you have already taken an important step by posting here and joining all the wise women. keep asking questions, that is the only way to figure out what your particular treatment will be like and of course as the others said, everyone is different.

All I can say is, I know you will be fine, better than fine, great!! R
  • pscheer
    pscheer Member Posts: 56 Member
    Yes, you can survive chemo.
    Yes, you can survive chemo. I know a lady who had taxotere and carboplatin and she told me she was just tired at the end of her work day! I had the same, plus herceptin and I had more side effects, but all I had to do was call my Dr. and report the side effect and he would prescribe something or tell me what to do to fix it. For instance, really bad heartburn, he told me take Prilosec everyday. Works like a charm. Nausea called for additional steroids and a drug he prescribed called Emend. By the way, I never threw up or even came close. Your Dr. can fix your side effects. All you have to do is call. And don't be afraid to call on the weekend, they will have the on call Dr. return your call. Chemo isn't like it used to be, they have come a long way. I send you a great big hug and lots of positive thoughts!
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Welcome Gracie
    Yes you will survive the chemo. And because of it you will have a long long life. It can be difficult at times, but the end result is well worth it. You will learn what to eat and do right here on this site that will help you. And we are with you all the way. You can ask anything here and we hope you do. Reading back post helped me out allot when I got started. Take care Kay,
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    Hello Gracie, YES YOU CAN
    Hello Gracie, YES YOU CAN SURVIVE AND YOU WILL... I finished chemo of Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin (still on Herceptin till Oct) back in March. And for every side effect there were really good meds to help deal with them, except losing my hair of course. But as you can see from my profile on the expressions I have pstd pics of my progress of my hair regrowing. As you go thru the chemo, feel free to ask us any questions or concerns you will have as you fight. We will be here for you!

Lupe
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Gracie, welcome to the most
    Gracie, welcome to the most amazing group of individuals you could have found. Yes, you can survive chemo. I finished mine a year ago and did not have many side effects. As the other ladies have replied, this isn't like it used to be. I also continued to exercise throughout chemo and radiation. I'll admit some days were better than others but I think this also helped me get through it. Check with your doctors though before hand just to make sure they are okay with it. We'll be here to help you through your journey. Take care.
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Hi Gracie welcome to the
    Hi Gracie welcome to the board, im just sorry you have to be here but its a great place to be for BC and the people on here are amazing!
    The chemo is doable...but everyone is different with their experience with it. Some got thru it better than others ...but i was one of the lucky ones that chemo didnt agree with me so much and i almost didnt finish but i did and it was tough but i got thru it! I believe you can too and were all here to help if you need it! Good luck and keep us posted!
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    jo jo said:

Hi Gracie welcome to the
    Hi Gracie welcome to the board, im just sorry you have to be here but its a great place to be for BC and the people on here are amazing!
    The chemo is doable...but everyone is different with their experience with it. Some got thru it better than others ...but i was one of the lucky ones that chemo didnt agree with me so much and i almost didnt finish but i did and it was tough but i got thru it! I believe you can too and were all here to help if you need it! Good luck and keep us posted!

Yes yes and yes!
    Yes Gracie you will do the chemo and be fine. I finished 4 rounds of Taxotere and Cytoxan on July 2nd. It was not the most enjoyable thing I have ever done but I did it! and so will you. Everyone is different. I was tired and had chemo brain but did not have nausea. I had constipation and diarhea, they took turns with each cycle. The meds they give now are usually very effective on the side effects. If not ask your Onc. and they can try a different one that will work for you. Once you have your first treatment over you will feel better about it. Drink lots of water it helps. Keep us posted. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Yes you can
    You will survive the chemo and surgery and radiation, if that's what's needed. You'll survive because that's all you can do, there is no other option. Please keep us posted on your dx and what treatments are needed and we're here to help you through it. I was stage IIIa IDC, 6.5cm, grade 2, 2/14 nodes back in April 09. After lumpectomy I did 4 A/C and 12 weekly taxols, followed by 33 rads and finished that jan 15th 2010. Even though it sucks, it's all doable. There'll be times you won't think you can do it, but that's what we're here for. You'll come through amazed at your strength and find the "new normal" for you.
    Welcome to the board and so sorry you have to be here.

marge
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    ABSOLUTLY!
    I WAS ALSO DX WITH DUCTAL CARCINOMA IN JUNE. HAD BILATERAL MAST. IN AUG. WENT THROUGH ALMOST 2 MONTHS OF MRI,CAT SCAN,PET SCANS,CHANGING DOCTORS, BIOPSIES, WORRIES AND ANGUISH. MY HUSBAND AND I SAT FOR MANY WEEKS IN A DAZE WAITING FOR THE PHONE TO RING WITH THOSE RESULTS. IT WAS AWFUL!
    I HAVE HAD ONE CHEMO SO FAR (TAXOTERE AND CYTOXAN) AND I AM DOING SO WELL. I HAVEN'T HAD MANY SIDE EFFECTS (EXCEPT CHEMO BRAIN!) BUT I MAY WITH THE SECOND ONE COMING IN OCT.I DON'T KNOW, BUT I CAN DEAL WITH IT BECAUSE IT WILL NOT BE AS BAD AS WHAT WE WENT THROUGH AT THE START OF ALL THIS. I WAS AFRAID OF GETTING A REATION TO THE CHEMO AND AFRAID OF ALL THESE CHEMICALS GOING INTO MY BODY BUT WHAT CAN YOU DO. BUT SO FAR SO GOOD WITH ME AND IT PROBABLY WILL BE THE SAME WITH YOU. SO GO FORTH, PRAY AND DO NOT HAVE DEEP FEAR BECAUSE THAT IS CRIPPLING AND JUST TELL YOURSELF YOU'LL DO FINE.
    KEEP US POSTED.
    GOD BLESS.
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Gracie42,
    Welcome! Yes, you can survive chemo. Everyone is different. I was one of the lucky ones that had little side effects. Nothing major. The most important thing is to remember to keep hydrated and drink, drink, drink. We are here for you if you have any specific questions. Hugs, Jean
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Yes Gracie, you can and will
    Yes Gracie, you can and will absolutely survive the chemo. Like others have posted before me, it's not like the chemo horror stories of the past. I've never gotten sick once, my main side effects are fatigue & bad back pain. Also like it's been said -I have meds the pain, for the fatigue I just get to take extra naps through the day! Dont be afraid to ask your oncologist & the nurses there any questions and concerns you have, and please ask us on here any questions! The more you know, the more control you will have over this crappy cancer, and the better you will feel about it. What is your chemo treatment plan? I'm sure there's others on here who either had the same treatment as you or are going through the same, and can offer some advice. I just finished 4 treatments of cytoxan and andrimycin (im pretty sure i spelled that one wrong), and i have 2 treatments of taxotere to go & then I'm done. It went by fast! Yours will too!
    *hugs Gracie*
    heather
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Ohhh Yeahhhh! You can do
    Ohhh Yeahhhh! You can do it!!! Been there and done won it. Remission rocks. Welcome gracie. It sucks to be here cause that means you have cancer. This is a wonderful board and wonderful women and yes some men. We'll help you along the way as we're all in diffeent stages of treatment and we have diferent diagnosises. Hugs to you and you will be alright. Katz
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Gracie

Hugs,
    Michele

Hi Gracie! I didn't have to
    Hi Gracie! I didn't have to take chemo, but, so many of your pink sisters on here have and will help you through it.

Sending you hugs and encouragement,

Leeza
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Gracie

Hugs,
    Michele

Hi Gracie! I was fortunate
    Hi Gracie! I was fortunate enough and didn't have to take chemo, but, so many of your sisters in pink here have and will help you through it.

So, ask questions and they will reply.

Sending strength and hugs,

Leeza
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
    Katz77 said:

Ohhh Yeahhhh! You can do
    Ohhh Yeahhhh! You can do it!!! Been there and done won it. Remission rocks. Welcome gracie. It sucks to be here cause that means you have cancer. This is a wonderful board and wonderful women and yes some men. We'll help you along the way as we're all in diffeent stages of treatment and we have diferent diagnosises. Hugs to you and you will be alright. Katz

Yes, Gracie, you will not
    Yes, Gracie, you will not only survive you will do just fine. We are all different, but a lot of us have been there and I know I was terrified. It's no day at the beach but it truly does go fast.