Pink B.C. coupons

linpsu
linpsu Member Posts: 747
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
What do you all do when you are in a store and the salesgirl comes up to you and says if you donate $1 to breast cancer you get a 25% off coupon for a purse? (I was in a Coach handbag outlet.) I wanted to say "I have breast cancer, how about if you give me a coupon for a free Coach purse?"
It just really throws me for a loop when someone asks me to donate to breast cancer. Am I being too sensitive?
Linda

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    no just dont like reminders.
    no just dont like reminders. But I like the coach outlet on Columbus day because I give 1 dollar and I can get almost 50 percent off. I used to feel that I had to donate, but not anymore, I do when I want to. Not looking forward to October.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I donate the $1 because I am
    I donate the $1 because I am happy that they don't realize I have breast cancer and I donate most of my spare change to breast cancer anyway. I don't do it for me as much as I do it for my daughter, my nieces, my friends and all the other women who are going to get this awful disease.
  • carriesoup
    carriesoup Member Posts: 144

I donate the $1 because I am
    I donate the $1 because I am happy that they don't realize I have breast cancer and I donate most of my spare change to breast cancer anyway. I don't do it for me as much as I do it for my daughter, my nieces, my friends and all the other women who are going to get this awful disease.

my initial reaction would be
    my initial reaction would be to say the same thing! but, cynthia is right. it's for all of us! not looking like a "cancer patient" is a great thing too :)
  • shy violet
    shy violet Member Posts: 167
    LOL, with my deformed chest
    LOL, with my deformed chest there is no doubt I have it. I just point at my site and say "Thanks, but I gave at my doctors office"...love, shy
  • pscheer
    pscheer Member Posts: 56 Member
    I know what you mean! I
    I know what you mean! I went to a store in a turban, clearly sick and was asked if I would like to donate. I smiled and said, I'm trying to pay for my own chemo right now, but maybe by next year, I'll be able to donate. I am happy to see they ask for donations, but jeez, do they really think they should be asking the person they are raising money to help?
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    It is a strange feeling when
    It is a strange feeling when we are asked to donate for breast cancer. I have mixed feelings about it. I guess it depends on how I feel that day. Sometimes if I happen to have extra change I will but other times I feel like telling them, How about you give me some money so I can pay my bills... lol

Lupe
  • lovs2decorate
    lovs2decorate Member Posts: 44
    I gave...
    OMG!!!!!!!

Thank you for posting this. I have been having all these mixed emotions with every catalog that comes in the mail to seeing breast cancer cookie dough in the supermarket.

I really try to come from a place of calm when someone asks me to donate but it is very hard for me. I want to tell them I gave both of my breasts and half of my sanity to breast cancer and I'm pretty much tapped out.

Do it get any easier in time? Will the feelings always be so "sharp" or will they fade to a "sting' over time?

Justine
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

I gave...
    OMG!!!!!!!

Thank you for posting this. I have been having all these mixed emotions with every catalog that comes in the mail to seeing breast cancer cookie dough in the supermarket.

I really try to come from a place of calm when someone asks me to donate but it is very hard for me. I want to tell them I gave both of my breasts and half of my sanity to breast cancer and I'm pretty much tapped out.

Do it get any easier in time? Will the feelings always be so "sharp" or will they fade to a "sting' over time?

Justine

having had it in 1994, I can
    having had it in 1994, I can tell you it fades. goes to the back of your mind. now with this new one i am hoping for the same. (crossed fingers and toes) I just have a hard time withthe commercial when the young woman says "I didnt have a choice on losing my mom" and although very poignant and needed, it getsto me and they play it alot. As my kids are my very very soft spot. anyways, glad they do collect for BC, like i said its just always a reminder. but it does get better.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    carkris said:

having had it in 1994, I can
    having had it in 1994, I can tell you it fades. goes to the back of your mind. now with this new one i am hoping for the same. (crossed fingers and toes) I just have a hard time withthe commercial when the young woman says "I didnt have a choice on losing my mom" and although very poignant and needed, it getsto me and they play it alot. As my kids are my very very soft spot. anyways, glad they do collect for BC, like i said its just always a reminder. but it does get better.

Linda, i feel the same way
    Linda, i feel the same way you do and sometimes i do feel selfish about it. Especially in October when all the stores and malls are "celebrating" breast cancer month and asking for donations that THEY will claim at income tax time and get a tax write off and who know what they are doing with the money. Yes, i feel like asking them for a discount or freebies. And how about the women who have lost their jobs (ME!), their husbands, their homes. How about the women who can no longer afford groceries yet alone a coach purse, or make up. This is a very sore subject with me. And yes, they say they use the money for advancements, yet i have had a reoccurence and they put me on the same drugs as the first time over 2 years ago!!!! Did any one figure this drug did not work the first time since it came back? So this is how i handle the donation, i give at work through the United Way to the Susan G Komen. This way i do no feel guilty when asked to donate. Hey, what can they do for me, who is suffering through this awful nightmare? Me, who had sub-standard treatment by a nitwit doctor, and now it is "oh well", thats it! NOTHING! for all of us who are suffering. Think Pink!
  • beetle25
    beetle25 Member Posts: 150 Member
    meena1 said:

Linda, i feel the same way
    Linda, i feel the same way you do and sometimes i do feel selfish about it. Especially in October when all the stores and malls are "celebrating" breast cancer month and asking for donations that THEY will claim at income tax time and get a tax write off and who know what they are doing with the money. Yes, i feel like asking them for a discount or freebies. And how about the women who have lost their jobs (ME!), their husbands, their homes. How about the women who can no longer afford groceries yet alone a coach purse, or make up. This is a very sore subject with me. And yes, they say they use the money for advancements, yet i have had a reoccurence and they put me on the same drugs as the first time over 2 years ago!!!! Did any one figure this drug did not work the first time since it came back? So this is how i handle the donation, i give at work through the United Way to the Susan G Komen. This way i do no feel guilty when asked to donate. Hey, what can they do for me, who is suffering through this awful nightmare? Me, who had sub-standard treatment by a nitwit doctor, and now it is "oh well", thats it! NOTHING! for all of us who are suffering. Think Pink!

The last time I walked by a
    The last time I walked by a donation center they did not ask me to donate, had no hair at the time and looked pretty bad, instead they stated they were doing this for me. I just looked at the lady said thanks and continued to walk away.
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    I'd never even considered
    that it was a compliment that I didn't look like a survivor. I just tell them that I'm still paying off my own breast cancer. It's always interesting to see the looks on their faces. Does it not occur to them that if they're collecting for such a widespread cause that standing outside of Walmart they're gonna run into a few of the people they're trying to help??????? Sometimes when I feel guilty I have to tell myself that at least some of what I'm still paying off must be going to research somewhere, I hope.

marge
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Hmmmmmmm...Tell them you
    Hmmmmmmm...Tell them you already "donated" more than you could afford to! No further explanation needed!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    donations
    I will either say, "I've already donated" or I actually donate, with the hopes that my donation will help my daughter, other family or friends if they should also need treatment for BC or services sometime in their lifetime.I have always donated to breast cancer organizations and don't feel at all upset if I am apprached by a volunteer to donate. Sometimes, I disclose my survivor status and other times, I don't. Don't really have any worries about October being Pink month. I think it is important to educate others about BC and if it is appropriate in the setting, I often do so when I get the chance.
    Hugs,K