Muscle spasms due to Neulasta?

winsomebulldog
winsomebulldog Member Posts: 117 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hey all. I've had my second chemo & will get #3 on Monday. This time around the overall fatigue & the aches & pains from the Neulasta were quite a bit worse. But the real problem is these very intense muscle spasms that I'm having in my back. I had them the 2nd week after treatment #1, but this time they're much worse. So bad that I had to call the Dr. & he called in a muscle relaxer for me. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I've had issues with my back before, but not for a few years & never anything like this. So, could it be the Neulasta? I was just wondering. As I said, i've already told the Dr. about it. I admit that I'm a little worried about the next treatment. I can't imagine these things getting even worse!

Blessings,

Jenn

Comments

• jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Hi Jenn
    I had nasty muscle

Hi Jenn
    I had nasty muscle spasms in my back and my legs and feet...they were so bad that my toes would curl so much they looked deformed...im 4-5 months out from chemo and i still have them once in awhile. I think i blame the neulasta but im not to sure if it was that or the chemo. Each round was different some tolerable, some severe. So i can say i know what your going thru and im so sorry that you are...its not fun!
    Im glad you went and seen your doctor about it...i just suffered thru mine cuz i didnt like my onc doc at the time!
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    I took something similiar to Neulasta
    Worst back spasms I've ever had. Darvocet didn't work. Plain old Motrin worked like a miracle. However because of the spasms, Onc said no more shots for me.

Good luck, Cindy
  • winsomebulldog
    winsomebulldog Member Posts: 117 Member
    Baclofen
    Dr. prescribed Baclofen. I've never taken a muscle relaxer before, so didn't know what to expect. I took the first one right after we left the pharmacy. I was disappointed when I didn't feel any better several hours later. But just woke up this morning & got up to go take the second one & I cannot believe how much better my back feels! It barely hurts at all. It is still trying to spasm, but it is barely a twinge compared to the blinding pain I had before. I just have to say how grateful I am for modern meds! Thank you, Lord, for giving someone, somewhere, the ability to make these things! ☺

It makes me feel better, too, to know it isn't just me who's had this issue. Thanks JoJo & Snowkitty for letting me know I'm not alone. Gosh, I am just so grateful for this forum! It has been my go-to source for almost everything. You guys are all so wonderful. I keep telling everyone I know that this has been my greatest help since my diagnosis. I wish we all didn't have to meet like this, but I am just so thankful that I have "met" each & every one of you! God bless you all!

Love,

Jenn
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    I'm not the only one.........
    Haven't seen this discussed before......I had chemo last year...each infusion followed the next day with the Nuelasta injection.....I had the first on a Tuesday...on Saturday night the spasms were so horrific not only in my back but my chest also, that I actually thought I was dying.....Hubby put a call into my oncologist....said it was the Neulasta...I was given pain meds and a muscle relaxant.......but, never needed them after the first injection, as I never experienced the spasms again......I will tell a funny about it though.....that night I was in agony and had to go pee.....long story short, a spasm hit me while sitting on the john.....it was so violent that if it hadn't been for the vanity I would have fallen off the toliet! At that point, I realized I wasn't dying after all........I could still laugh!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    MAJW said:

I'm not the only one.........
    Haven't seen this discussed before......I had chemo last year...each infusion followed the next day with the Nuelasta injection.....I had the first on a Tuesday...on Saturday night the spasms were so horrific not only in my back but my chest also, that I actually thought I was dying.....Hubby put a call into my oncologist....said it was the Neulasta...I was given pain meds and a muscle relaxant.......but, never needed them after the first injection, as I never experienced the spasms again......I will tell a funny about it though.....that night I was in agony and had to go pee.....long story short, a spasm hit me while sitting on the john.....it was so violent that if it hadn't been for the vanity I would have fallen off the toliet! At that point, I realized I wasn't dying after all........I could still laugh!

I was rushed to emergency .. thinking I was having a
    heart attack .. all due to spasms and Neulasta side efforts. I was in consent agony, pain, and spasms after each and every shot - no joke, no kidding! - Neulasta is a wonderful drug needed to keep our White Blood cells counts replenished .. However, for some, like myself, the side efforts were unbearable. I did take benedyrl, claratin to help ease Neulasta side efforts - NEVER worked for me.

Spasms did continue, and my white blood cell counts were in the average range - never excellent ..

Please ask your Oncologist for medication to ease your spasms, and use a heating pad to help with muscle cramping.

Strength and Courage:

Vicki Sam
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    when i was on taxotere and
    when i was on taxotere and cytoxan, the neulasta shots were a blessing and a curse! the shot helped keep my blood counts where they needed to be, but oh the pain! when i was on adriamycin and cytoxan, there was no pain from the neulasta shots. i was amazed, did some research and found that taxotere was the culprit the first time around - in fact most of my side effects came from taxotere - the sores on my hands and feet, the neuropathy, the ugly fingernails and toenails. fortunately i made it through both courses of chemo (spent almost 8 months in chemo)and a lot of these side effects are a distant memory.

everyone of us is a unique individual, and how treatments affect each of us can be very different. although we are happy to share our experiences, that is what they are, OUR experiences.

sending you positive thoughts and hugs to get you through your next treatment, heidi
  • cookie97
    cookie97 Member Posts: 200
    heidijez said:

when i was on taxotere and
    when i was on taxotere and cytoxan, the neulasta shots were a blessing and a curse! the shot helped keep my blood counts where they needed to be, but oh the pain! when i was on adriamycin and cytoxan, there was no pain from the neulasta shots. i was amazed, did some research and found that taxotere was the culprit the first time around - in fact most of my side effects came from taxotere - the sores on my hands and feet, the neuropathy, the ugly fingernails and toenails. fortunately i made it through both courses of chemo (spent almost 8 months in chemo)and a lot of these side effects are a distant memory.

everyone of us is a unique individual, and how treatments affect each of us can be very different. although we are happy to share our experiences, that is what they are, OUR experiences.

sending you positive thoughts and hugs to get you through your next treatment, heidi

Neulasta shot
    I too had terrible pain from the Neulasta shot, but I was determined that nothing was going to slow down my chemo. The first shot was the worst, then it took longer to kick in and wasn't nearly as severe. My white blood counts would plummet, had it not been for Neulasta I would have had to postpone my chemo on more than one occassion. You can try the Claritin route they claim that that helps a lot.

Good luck on your next treatment and let us know how it all worked out for you.

Peace and Love,
    Edie
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    cookie97 said:

Neulasta shot
    I too had terrible pain from the Neulasta shot, but I was determined that nothing was going to slow down my chemo. The first shot was the worst, then it took longer to kick in and wasn't nearly as severe. My white blood counts would plummet, had it not been for Neulasta I would have had to postpone my chemo on more than one occassion. You can try the Claritin route they claim that that helps a lot.

Good luck on your next treatment and let us know how it all worked out for you.

Peace and Love,
    Edie

I had muscle pain all over.
    I had muscle pain all over. I saw my chiropractor, and it helped alot. Then took Tylenol pm. Remember to drink lots of water.