Any help for heartburn?

Gabe N Abby Mom
Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I completed my second round of chemo (TAC), and I'm having a really hard time with hearburn. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the support.

Linda

Comments

• meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Talk to your oncologist,
    Talk to your oncologist, this happened to me and he prescribed Prilosec. I was given the generic, Omberzole. It works great.
  • pscheer
    pscheer Member Posts: 56 Member
    Heartburn
    I had a bad time

Heartburn
    I had a bad time with that also. Try Prilosec OTC (over the counter)20.6 mgs. ASk your Dr. first, of course. You have to take it every single day or heartburn will return. I had it so bad, I bought a recliner to sleep in because it helped me not to lay flat. But, the Prilosec would have saved me that money for the cost of the recliner. I still take it even though chemo is done, I have problems if I don't take it. The box says you can only take it for a certain amount of time, but your Dr. can tell you to keep taking it or give you a prescription for it. It's the same stuff, but it's cheaper with a prescription sometimes. I hope this helps you. I buy mine at Walmart.
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    My Onc told me to take
    My Onc told me to take Zantac twice a day.

Cindy
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Linda
    it was suggested to me that eating more frequent smaller meals would help. I also use Biotene throat spray. Try to avoid spicy or greasy foods. A couple of nights I slept with my head a bit elevated and that helped. Prilosec OTC does help too but ask oncologist.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Hi Linda - I have really bad
    Hi Linda - I have really bad heartburn from AC also -REALLY bad...i use over the counter zantac (actually the walgreen's generic version) and it works great. I have to take it almost nightly otherwise it will wake me up! I had 4 rounds of AC, and starting next Friday I'll have 2 rounds of Taxotere -Im hoping that one will be a little easier for me to tolerate than the AC. Best of luck to you.
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

Hi Linda - I have really bad
    Hi Linda - I have really bad heartburn from AC also -REALLY bad...i use over the counter zantac (actually the walgreen's generic version) and it works great. I have to take it almost nightly otherwise it will wake me up! I had 4 rounds of AC, and starting next Friday I'll have 2 rounds of Taxotere -Im hoping that one will be a little easier for me to tolerate than the AC. Best of luck to you.
    *hugs*
    Heather

Horrible heartburn during chemo
    Linda,

Definitely call your oncologist's office and ask them what he/she recommends, because there are great heartburn medicines now -- that's one side effect from chemo that you really don't need to suffer with anymore.

My oncologist also recommended Prilosec, but had me take it a higher dosage than recommended on the package -- worked very well for me, was easy to get at the drugstore, and easy to just take it once a day. I'm sure your oncologist would have a good recommendation that would work for you, too.

Traci
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I would talk with my
    I would talk with my oncologist definitely as you probably need to be taking a heartburn med. He will know which one is best for someone who had your particular treatment (different meds work very differently).

Some other suggestions from the Mayo Clinic:
    ■Maintain a healthy weight. Excess pounds put pressure on your abdomen, pushing up your stomach and causing acid to back up into your esophagus. If your weight is healthy, work to maintain it. If you are overweight or obese, work to slowly lose weight — no more than 1 or 2 pounds (0.5 to 1 kilogram) a week. Ask your doctor for help devising a weight-loss strategy that will work for you.
    ■Avoid tightfitting clothing. Clothes that fit tightly around your waist put pressure on your abdomen and the lower esophageal sphincter.
    ■Avoid foods and drinks that trigger heartburn. Everyone has specific triggers, such as alcohol or tomato sauce. Avoid foods you know will trigger your heartburn.
    ■Eat smaller meals. Avoid overeating by eating smaller meals.
    ■Delay lying down after a meal. Wait at least two to three hours after eating before lying down or going to bed.
    ■Elevate the head of your bed. An elevation of about six to nine inches puts gravity to work for you. Place wood or cement blocks under the feet of your bed at the head end. If it's not possible to elevate your bed, you can insert a wedge between your mattress and box spring to elevate your body from the waist up. Wedges are available at drugstores and medical supply stores.
    ■Stop smoking. Smoking decreases the lower esophageal sphincter's ability to function properly.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heartburn-gerd/DS00095/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413

I would talk with my
    I would talk with my oncologist definitely as you probably need to be taking a heartburn med. He will know which one is best for someone who had your particular treatment (different meds work very differently).

Some other suggestions from the Mayo Clinic:
    ■Maintain a healthy weight. Excess pounds put pressure on your abdomen, pushing up your stomach and causing acid to back up into your esophagus. If your weight is healthy, work to maintain it. If you are overweight or obese, work to slowly lose weight — no more than 1 or 2 pounds (0.5 to 1 kilogram) a week. Ask your doctor for help devising a weight-loss strategy that will work for you.
    ■Avoid tightfitting clothing. Clothes that fit tightly around your waist put pressure on your abdomen and the lower esophageal sphincter.
    ■Avoid foods and drinks that trigger heartburn. Everyone has specific triggers, such as alcohol or tomato sauce. Avoid foods you know will trigger your heartburn.
    ■Eat smaller meals. Avoid overeating by eating smaller meals.
    ■Delay lying down after a meal. Wait at least two to three hours after eating before lying down or going to bed.
    ■Elevate the head of your bed. An elevation of about six to nine inches puts gravity to work for you. Place wood or cement blocks under the feet of your bed at the head end. If it's not possible to elevate your bed, you can insert a wedge between your mattress and box spring to elevate your body from the waist up. Wedges are available at drugstores and medical supply stores.
    ■Stop smoking. Smoking decreases the lower esophageal sphincter's ability to function properly.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heartburn-gerd/DS00095/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies

thanks everyone!
    I have a call in to the doc already, first thing I did today. Just waiting for the call back....

Linda